Professional Web Applications Themes

Icons nailed to the desktop - Mac Applications & Software

I just updated my system from 10.2 to 10.2.5 to 10.2.6, and now all the icons are fastened permanently to the desktop. They will not drag or move. Did I do something wrong, or is it supposed to be like this?...

  1. #1

    Default Icons nailed to the desktop

    I just updated my system from 10.2 to 10.2.5 to 10.2.6, and now all the icons
    are fastened permanently to the desktop. They will not drag or move. Did I do
    something wrong, or is it supposed to be like this?
    Del Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Icons nailed to the desktop

    In article <aol.com>,
    comBITEME (Del March) wrote:

    Turn the computer off and start it afresh. Don't use restart, but shut
    down.

    --Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  3. #3

    In article <aol.com>,
    comBITEME (Del March) wrote:

    This can sometimes be caused by a corrupt .DS_Store file (a hidden file).

    Try the following:

    Open your terminal application, then at the command prompt type the
    following followed by a return:

    rm ~/Desktop/.DS_Store

    Then log out of your account and log back in.

    André

    --
    n.b. there are no monotremes in my email address
    Andre Guest

  4. #4

    << In article <aol.com>,
    comBITEME (Del March) wrote:

    Turn the computer off and start it afresh. Don't use restart, but shut
    down. [/ref]

    Done. No change, icons are still locked down.
    Del Guest

  5. #5

    << In article <aol.com>,
    comBITEME (Del March) wrote:

    This can sometimes be caused by a corrupt .DS_Store file (a hidden file).

    Try the following:

    Open your terminal application, then at the command prompt type the
    following followed by a return:

    rm ~/Desktop/.DS_Store

    Then log out of your account and log back in.

    André >>

    Done. Made no change at all, icons are still locked down.

    When you say "Then log out of your account and log back in", do you mean I'm
    supposed to type "logout", close the application and then open it again? I'm
    the only user on the computer. I never have to log in anyway.
    Del Guest

  6. #6

    << In article <aol.com>,
    comBITEME (Del March) wrote:

    This can sometimes be caused by a corrupt .DS_Store file (a hidden file).

    Try the following:

    Open your terminal application, then at the command prompt type the
    following followed by a return:

    rm ~/Desktop/.DS_Store

    Then log out of your account and log back in.

    André >>

    Ignore my last question, I figured out what you meant. But it still didn't
    help. Icons will not move.
    Del Guest

  7. #7

    In article <aol.com>,
    comBITEME (Del March) wrote:
     [/ref]

    > Done. No change, icons are still locked down.[/ref]

    Very weird; this is the first time I've seen that fail to cure the
    problem.

    --Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  8. #8

    In article <aol.com>, Del March
    <comBITEME> wrote:

    Any practical jokers around who like to grab a full screen capture, and
    set it to be your desktop background 'wallpaper'?

    --
    David M. Palmer com (formerly clark.net, ematic.com)
    David Guest

  9. #9

    In article <west.cox.net>, Michelle
    Steiner <org> wrote:

    >> Done. No change, icons are still locked down.[/ref]
    >
    >Very weird; this is the first time I've seen that fail to cure the
    >problem.
    >[/ref]
    ....and I thought that X was s'posed to be the always-on system.

    Stan
    Stan Guest

  10. #10

    << In article <aol.com>, Del March
    <comBITEME> wrote:

    Any practical jokers around who like to grab a full screen capture, and
    set it to be your desktop background 'wallpaper'? [/ref]

    I wish. Even if they did, how would the wallpaper be in *front* of the
    desktop? (Since nothing moves, the wallpaper would have to be covering up
    legitimate icons which are moveable.)

    I'm in the middle of a complete reinstall, so we'll see if that fixes it.
    Del Guest

  11. #11

    Del March <comBITEME> wrote:

    I wish I'd been able to read your original post before you got to this
    point. Before doing this, though, did you run disk repair utilities?
    Repair permissions?

    I would also have suggested creating a new user to see if the problem
    exists there, too.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  12. #12

    In article <aol.com>, Del March wrote:
    >[/ref]

    Isn't there a menu option under "View" that will allow changing how to
    list files (names/dates/sizes/etc.) and "lock" in your selections?

    --
    -=[cwa]=-
    e-Mail: chris at cwaiken dot net

  13. #13

    << I wish I'd been able to read your original post before you got to this
    point. Before doing this, though, did you run disk repair utilities?
    Repair permissions?>>

    I did a permissions repair, twice. No help.

    <<I would also have suggested creating a new user to see if the problem
    exists there, too.>>

    I didn't try that.

    The reinstall seems to have fixed it..

    Del Guest

  14. #14

    In <aol.com>
    Del March <comBITEME> wrote:

    This is a common problem.

    Delete the contents of $HOME/Library/Caches and /Library/Caches, then
    restart.

    J.
    Jennifer Guest

  15. #15

    In article <slrnblhlvh.kdd.jsm158+cac.psu.edu>,
    Jennifer Mullen <jsm158+cac.psu.edu> wrote:

    > This is a common problem.
    >
    > Delete the contents of $HOME/Library/Caches and /Library/Caches, then
    > restart.
    >[/ref]

    Be forewarned that deleting the contents of /Library/Caches will lose
    your custom ligin pictures.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest