Professional Web Applications Themes

ID 3 ME: Feedback? - Adobe Indesign Windows

I've just been given the assignment to set some doetns in Farsi and Arabic using InDesign ME. I haven't had a lot of time to use it, but the issues so far: 1. Program is very easy to crash. Control-clickinging to select lower layered objects seems to be enough. 2. Not so much a problem as a source of dicombobulation: arrow keys seem to have a mind of their own when moving between English and Arabic text. Why can't the left arrow key go left? 3. Importing text from MS Worst isn't perfect. Numbers and periods often appear as regular ...

  1. #1

    Default ID 3 ME: Feedback?

    I've just been given the assignment to set some doetns in Farsi and Arabic using InDesign ME. I haven't had a lot of time to use it, but the issues so far:
    1. Program is very easy to crash. Control-clickinging to select lower layered objects seems to be enough.
    2. Not so much a problem as a source of dicombobulation: arrow keys seem to have a mind of their own when moving between English and Arabic text. Why can't the left arrow key go left?
    3. Importing text from MS Worst isn't perfect. Numbers and periods often appear as regular (ironically called "Arabic", go figure) numerals, and the period is a Zero.
    4. Changing the font of Arabic text, even to one I am certain contains no arabic characters, maintains the Arabic. Changing to Meta, for example, changed the font to a sans-serif font (looked kind of like an Arabic version of Meta), but didn't change the glyphs.

    Questions:
    1. What methods have you found are best for supplying text and importing text?
    2. What fonts work best? Wiould I be advised to buy some?
    3. Can I change the flow of text in columns so that the rightmost column fills first? Is that even doen in Arabic?
    4. Can I use ID ME for all my work in other languages without penalty or trouble? These languages include English, French, Spanish, Turkish, German, and Greek.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ID 3 ME: Feedback?

    Importing text from MS Worst isn't perfect.

    No but it is! MS Word is the ideal way to go! Forget ID do it in Word! See Gabriel Ayala "Switching from ID to Word" 8/10/04 10:40am </cgi-bin/webx?13.3bb56a6b/2>

    2. What fonts work best? Wiould I be advised to buy some?

    I think you can use any OpenType font to ensure quality. See <http://store.adobe.com/type/opentype/main.html;storesessionid=L3PRUBELVB0IZQFI0IKBCY4AV DJBKIV2> for more info about them.

    Can I use ID ME for all my work in other languages without penalty or
    trouble? These languages include English, French, Spanish, Turkish, German,
    and Greek.

    I don't have all the answers but this one is a definite yes.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    No but it is! MS Word is the ideal way to go! Forget ID do it in Word!

    LOL. No, actually BOMS (barfing on my shoes).

    What about crashing problems?
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    What about crashing problems?

    Auto recovery :p
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    My question should perhaps have been phrased, "Have you , or anyone else, discovered ID ME is prone to crashing?" I'm starting to nickname is Sheriff Roscoe.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    This is Roscoe Pete Coletrain, we have a mistaken identity - giew giew giew.

    I thought you were talking about the crashing in Word. Sorry about that.

    "Have you , or anyone else, discovered ID ME is prone to crashing?"

    No
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Scott, which Macintosh System are you using with InDesign CS 3.0-ME, is it 10.3x Panther? (( was the System Preferences > International > Input Menu activated with Arabic, Farsi, or Hebrew "PRIOR" to installing ID-3-ME? if not, re-install InDesign-ME CS ))

    Do you have English InDesign "CS" installed on same computer? This would be a reason for crash (remove English InDesign CS, then re-install IDME CD).

    I am not aware of any crashing problems, and you may wish to look into this further.

    For example, is it only happening when importing Word files? Are the Word files using a default Unicode Microsoft font for the text? Does crash only happen when attempting specific task? DO you crash with NEW IDME files?

    Regarding ME fonts -InDesign ME includes over twenty OpenType fonts. Use any of these -for testing, use Winsoft ME language fonts. Always use fonts with Unicode support.

    On Arabic flowing text, assign the text block "Arabic" within Character TAB and note in Paragraph TAB you have right-to-left and left-to-right indicator buttons. In this way, Arabic text will flow from right-to-left, from right column to left. Also when creating NEW doent, you can set the binding for RtoL.

    YES, you can use InDesign CS ME for ALL your language work. ME edition can do everything English ID can do, PLUS...
    remarkble@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Do you have English InDesign "CS" installed on same computer? This would
    be a reason for crash (remove English InDesign CS, then re-install IDME
    CD).

    FWIW, I was told the same thing by someone at Adobe over the phone. They said that to ensure I install it on a different partition or a whole different machine if possible to avoid any interference between the two.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    remarkble:

    Sadly, I have NO Macintosh sysmet. This forum is for Windows users (abusees?). Is ID3ME noticibly better on a Mac, besides the obvious, of course?

    Gabriel:

    This machine has only the one version if InDesign on it. It is installed next to a computer with vanilla ID, and a switch box lets me swap my monitor/keyboard/mouse between them.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    > FWIW, I was told the same thing by someone at Adobe over the phone. They
    said that to ensure I install it on a different partition or a whole
    different machine if possible to avoid any interference between the two.

    What I'm thinking I cannot write in this forum...having two versions on the
    same machine has messed up several little things that make ID 2 annoying.
    Makes me angry that there are no such suggestions in the installer. There
    should be IMO.

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Makes me angry that there are no such suggestions in the installer. There
    should be IMO.

    You're right, I think there should be too. It's just as easy as adding the warning message they put in there that says not to have any Adobe programs running during the setup.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Scott, sorry I thought you said you were using Macintosh. InDesign 3.0-ME CS edition is good equally on both Windows and Macintosh. Many are using this with Windows XP with no difficulty.

    If problem persists, remove installed IDME 3.0, then make sure your regional language support is activated with your Windows OS, then re-install IDME 3.0 CD. An Arabic font bundle should also be installed with this InDesign 3.0-ME CD installation.

    If you have difficulty, call fontworld.com for additional support.
    remarkble@adobeforums.com Guest