Professional Web Applications Themes

ID CS & ID CS2...coexistence? - Adobe Indesign Windows

I am running ID CS, and a co-worker just bought CS, so she got CS2. We only just started file sharing. I have a sinking suspicion that I'm not going to like this. We can't share .indd files, can we? Forgive me if you're already answered this....

  1. #1

    Default ID CS & ID CS2...coexistence?

    VEA2000@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ID CS & ID CS2...coexistence?

    Not directly.

    CS2 can open CS files. Going back however CS2 files need to be exported
    out as InDesign Interchange (INX) files. CS must be updated to 3.0.1
    (838) in order to open those INX files.

    Note that if the CS2 file uses features not found in CS you might not be
    too happy with the result.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    I was afraid of that. Thanks.
    VEA2000@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Bob. I know there's a catch all that features found in CS2 but not in CS
    will not translate, but have you any idea what these features are? I wonder
    whether anyone has noticed bits dropping off CS2 files when they're pushed
    back to CS.

    The fact that CS2 files are now partly backwardly compatible with CS
    suggests that InDesign has peaked in development. The iterations from 1.0 to
    1.5 to 2.0 to CS added things to the file structure that clearly made
    backwards compatibility impossible. I wonder now whether the development of
    InDesign is going to be not so much what the file is, but how it's made.

    If so, we could be looking towards an increased focus on productivity tools
    as Adobe seeks to justify future versions against a user base ability to
    maintain the existing version and work with files from newer versions.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I'm not really sure of what happens going backward since I've only
    needed to do it once. In that file, however, I did take advantage of the
    ability to choose a layer comp.

    When I opened the INX file in CS the graphic had reverted to the saved
    version.

    I'm not sure what would happen to object styles, noise on shadows and
    other new features. I think it would have been a good idea to have a
    warning pop up on export to INX informing the user to never use INX as a
    final file format for service providers.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  6. #6

    We bought CS2 Premium Suite the day it was issued...but have not yet installed it! Folks we have to share .INDD files with in development warned they cannot install CS2 until their pre-press applications (imposition apps, etc.) have new drivers available, and they don't want any part of CS2 .INX files prior to entering pre-press.

    Of course, our completed jobs are processed into PDFs, but in this scenario we're talking about .INDD files prior to completion of a job where we share development in some instances.

    Are these trade-only pre-press outfits giving us a load of baloney, and are too busy/lazy/under-financed to currently invest in the excitement of CS2?

    John Hollinhurst
    John_Hollinhurst@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    John, I would say they do right, as long as they can't control what is
    converted from CS2 to CS via INX, the chance is high that something
    _may_ get lost done in CS2. So it's okay to not risk that.
    I sure wouldn't use the downward compatibility function for a regular
    interchange of a file back and forth.
    What I didn't understand is that they will need any new drivers. They
    aren't use PDF workflow, are they? We have used several InDesign
    versions up to date, but didn't needed to upgrade anything because of a
    new InDesign version - but I have to admit that we use an pdf-only
    workflow based on an Adobe Extreme RIP....

    Jens
    Jens Guest