Professional Web Applications Themes

ID CS Installation question. . . - Adobe Indesign Windows

ID CS install stops says "you must have administrative priviledges. . .", I have single computer, no other prog has ever asked that... what do I do? L W - PS Updating from ID 2.0 to CS...

  1. #1

    Default ID CS Installation question. . .

    Lamar_Welch@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ID CS Installation question. . .

    What version of Windows?
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Sorry! - Win xp - home ed...
    Lamar_Welch@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Any help out there on the installation?? And is ID CS really any improvement over ID 2.0 or should I be content until I upgrade to a later one...
    Thanks Yall
    Lamar_Welch@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Is the installation failing with that error, or just letting you know before you start that you need the proper privileges?

    If you are getting a failure, it sounds like the machine was set up for more than one user, and the "Owner" will either have to do the installation or modify your privileges to make you an administrator.

    As far as upgrading, CS is a great improvement over ID2, but CS2 is even nicer.

    Peter
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Peter, install fails at that point, I have a single computer, nobody else works it, have never set up any password etc... and cannot find anyplace to determine "owner or otherwise. . . any help would sure be appreciated.
    Lamar
    Lamar_Welch@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I don't run XP, so my experience is mostly with fixing other people's boxes, but let's give it a try.

    Did you set this machine up yourself, or buy it from a vendor, and is it a name brand like Dell or HP, or a custom job? When you start up, are you asked for your identity, or does it just boot?

    You did mention that you've never been asked to provide administrator credentials before. Have you installed any other software on this computer? If you were able to do installations before it implies that you already have (or had) administrator privileges, and the problem is likely something else. Can you currently install any kind of software besides InDesign?

    Can you hold down the F8 key and get it to start in Safe Mode? Do you have a number of choices for identity logging on that way?

  8. #8

    It's an HP pavilion 310n... no identity, just boots up. Have installed bunches...including PM 7.0, and ID 2.0 (updated from 1.) ...don't have any other new software on hand to try... but I'll look around a little more. Have never had a problem. I'll try the F8 thing, but feel sure it will work.
    Lamar_Welch@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Tried the F8 - can boot in safe mode. . . whatever that means. (statement probably tells you a lot...) Peter, you may email me at lw <at> welchindustries.com if you'd like. . .

    Thanks
    Lamar
    Lamar_Welch@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    You might want to try to Install from a so-called "Clean Boot." Run the system configuration utility (msconfig) and select diagnostic start-up on the general tab, then uncheck the box for "start-up items." This should keep anything but required system drivers from loading and might solve any problem caused by some background program conflict, but I have to say I don't think this is likely. Don't continue to operate in this mode because all of your security stuff like anti-virus will be disabled.

    Do you have an up-to-date antivirus active? Is the Windows firewall, or some other firewall active on your system?

  11. #11

    Lamar,

    When you tried safe mode, did it boot all the way, or ask you to log in with an identity?

  12. #12

    When I got to the safe mode screen, had option to boot different ways, I just chose boot normal. . . no identity ever asked for. I do have Norton active, and Windows firewall. . . never had to disable them b4 when installing things, think that might do it?
    Thanks again
    Lamar_Welch@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Ok,

    Try again, but this time select "Safe Mode." Then after you get started up, shut down and reboot normally so you will have network and normal drivers available. If you have a lot of stuff on your desktop, safe mode is going to play havoc with the arrangement because it runs in VGA mode (640 x 480, I think) not the nice high-color high res view you are used to.

  14. #14

    Peter, do you mean boot up this way, try the install, then reboot normal? Or just boot up safe mode for test then normal, then try install. . .
    Lamar_Welch@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    You may call me toll-free on 877 - 810 - 7010 if you have time. . .
    Lamar_Welch@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Sorry, it's 877 - 811 - 7010 -- never use this line. . .
    Lamar_Welch@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    First just boot into safe mode to see how many Identities there are on the machine was what I had in mind. Normally the CD drivers don't load, so you can't do the installation, and there won't be any internet connection for registration, but if you find that you can see the CD-Rom drive in Explorer, feel free to try to do the installation. You can always register later. Just be sure to select "Administrator" from the list of Identities.

  18. #18

    Have checked identifies, the Admin is the only one ...
    Thanks, probably gonna go home in a few and try again next week.
    Lamar_Welch@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    OK,

    This is pretty strange. I'm going to be out most of monday, completely unavailable weds. & thurs, but keep posting and I'll see if I can come up with any more ideas, maybe talk to you on the phone Tuesday.

  20. #20

    I am running into this very same issue, on a box that I installed CS2 onto. I was able to complete the install, but only by doing the install as Administrator from Safe Mode.

    However, now when I try to run Photoshop -- I haven't tried any others yet -- it gives me the same message, whether I run from Administrator or my default user account, and whether I run from Safe Mode or normal mode.

    I am very anxious to find out what the solution is.

    Thanks!

    Bjorn
    Bjorn_Lindstrom@adobeforums.com Guest