Professional Web Applications Themes

ID3: Do font in Chracter Styles ever just change? - Adobe Indesign Windows

A person I work with notices that a character style definition had changed from Meta Bold to Meta Black. Later she discovered that some (but not all) Mena Normal had changed to Meta Medium. This later change was in a Pragraph Style, not a Character Style. Later, as I was preflighting the job, I notices that another character stle had switched from Zapf Dingbats to Shuriken. Whoa. That's a lot different. I seriously doubt that anyone had made all three of those changes. That leaves only one suspect: InDesign....

  1. #1

    Default ID3: Do font in Chracter Styles ever just change?

    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ID3: Do font in Chracter Styles ever just change?

    Are those styles based on other styles?

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    Are those styles based on other styles?

    No. Both cStyles are used in nested styles. The text was iported from a DB generated text file, complete with style calls, but no definitions. I mean, the text has ID codes to apply pStyles and cStyles, but does not define the styles. Lemme check that... yup, no definitions.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    This won't help much, but it's something I've been wanting to say anyhow. I find that paragraph styles are a lot more touchy now that ID has included a Basic Paragraph Style that can't be removed.

    Most of my work in IDCS2 has been on converted files. In fact, I rarely start new files, and over the past couple of months I've been working on Financial Statements in which virtually every line is a paragraph, and as often as not, no two paragraphs in a row have the same paragraph style. I find that copy and pasting any line/paragraph always causes + in my style palette. Reapplying the style does nothing but remove the +., but I find myself doing it every time: it's important to keep track of local formatting and I find these bogus +s extremely frustrating.
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    The new based-on behavior is very powerful but potentially very dangerous if you don't understand how it works. I'm finding that work habits developed over 20 years of using PageMaker and previous versions of InDesign have to be discarded.

    Whereas before, changing the Based-on style left a style unchanged; only the description changed, now, anything that is the same as the based-on style is changed to the corresponding value in the new based-on paragraph style.

    Yesterday, I discovered that this also applies to importing snippets. I made a snippet that had three styles in it: ChartHead, ChartText and [Basic Paragraph]. I unwittingly had ChartHead and ChartText based on [Basic Paragraph]. I didn't think this would matter, but lo and behold, after placing the snippet the text was 12/(14.4) instead of 11/14 because in my main doent (converted from CS) nothing was based on [Basic Paragraph] so I'd not bothered to mess with its definition.

    So, be warned. My own reaction is to avoid using [Basic Paragraph] for anything at all or as the basis of anything. It's just asking for trouble. But it's also not so easy to avoid if you aren't careful.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I've never heard of this "Basic Paragraph" style, and there is no sytle with that name in the file.

    Also, the fonts that are being selected mysteriously are used nowhere in the file, or likely any file for one of the fonts.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Scott uses ID3, so the Basic Paragraph is not there.

    I have never seen spontaneous character changes in ID3.

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    My own reaction is to avoid using [Basic Paragraph] for anything at all
    or as the basis of anything.

    That was my initial reaction to BP. But then I decided to "embrace the light" and make sure every doent has a properly set up BP. Maybe that's why I can't cut&paste a paragraph with a clean style and end up with a clean style — even within the same doent. A colleague here doesn't have the same problem, or at least to the same degree, but he just ignores BP. I'm afraid that simply ignoring it is more dangerous than trying to use it.

    Scott, sorry if this kinda usurps your topic.
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Sorry from me too Scott. I failed to notice the "ID3" on your topic name.

    In which case, I too am mystified by what's happening to you. Check for explicit character styles applied over the top of nested styles. Perhaps the diagnosis is wrong because of unrecognized interactions.

  10. #10

    I don't know if this is a related problem, but when i try to use 'italic' instead of 'roman' on a PS-font ID ignores the fact that I have installed both! Not even 'bold' is possible. Wassup?
    Raul
    Raul_Fernández@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    What are the exact names of the font and the installed styles? When you say it ignores your attempt to use italic, what exactly are you doing to choose the style?

    And no, this is not related to the topic at hand because Scott is complaining of a style mysteriously changing while you're complaining about not be able to select it at all.

  12. #12

    I think Teus once mentioned in another thread that the same font might appear to have a different name, ie "normal" or "roman" depending on some settings in the OS or the Adobefnt.lst file, or some such -- can't really remember. Is this happening on the same machine, or when the file gets opened on another machine? Has it traveled from one machine to another and then back?

    Hard to believe that Meta Black is the same as Meta Bold, though, but if there has been some machine to machine transfer I can imagine there's a possibility of a substitution.

    Peter
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest