Professional Web Applications Themes

ID3: Redraw issue when moving croped AI file - Adobe Indesign Windows

I've placed a cropped Illustrator EPS into my layout. Neat hing is that the cropping is recognized, so only a 3" x 3" frame is added, with the picture properly cropped. Yet I'm still able to move the picture around or resize the frame, showing more of the illustration. That's retty neat, except... The redraw is terrible. If I move the illustarion around, insted of getting a proper display, I get this: If I press W twice to force a redraw, everything clear up: Too bad those crop marks print. Wish there was a way to kill that. But is ...

Default ID3: Redraw issue when moving croped AI file

I've placed a cropped Illustrator EPS into my layout. Neat hing is that the cropping is recognized, so only a 3" x 3" frame is added, with the picture properly cropped.

Yet I'm still able to move the picture around or resize the frame, showing more of the illustration. That's retty neat, except...

The redraw is terrible. If I move the illustarion around, insted of getting a proper display, I get this:

If I press W twice to force a redraw, everything clear up:

Too bad those crop marks print. Wish there was a way to kill that. But is there a way to get InDesign to draw the image correctly in the first place? Known bug? Fixed in ID 4? My guesses are Yes and No.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

Default Re: ID3: Redraw issue when moving croped AI file

I wouldn't be inclined to call a screen glitch like that a bug. It's more about hardware than the application. There will always be display glitches even though video cards and display drivers keep getting better simply because what we expect of them will keep increasing.
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest

I don't buy that. InDesign should be showing the corpped out area of the image as I move it around. THis is how all other image types work. The only think about this image that is different is that it's a cropped Illustrator file. As I move the image East, more map from the west should scroll into view. That's not happening.

And InDesign 3 had proven itself to be a higly buggy piece of software.

I think these things tend to be a little more case specific than you're giving them credit for, the file format is part of the equation as is the specific hardware configuration. The idea that every application should know how every combination of hardware and their drivers is going to work is wishful. I work on three different systems (one a Mac) and ID has different issues on each. But so do most other applications, not to mention the applications like Mouse Centre and HydraVision that manage the behaviour of the hardware that other applications have to use.

Scott,

As an example, I tried yesterday to reproduce the problem you've often complained of about a piece of the image showing through when you have the stroke set to Inside (because I thought of a brilliant solution: feather the images with a setting equal to half the weight of the stroke).

But I couldn't reproduce the problem to test my solution. I was able to confirm that my solution has no deleterious effect on the framed images but because I could reproduce the problem, I don't know for sure that it solves it.

Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

but because I couldn't reproduce the : >

Dave,

The feathering is an interesting suggestion. I'm hesitant, as it adds transparency and, thus, complication, to a vital and tested workflow in which efficiency is king. If htis fixes the problem, but adds just a few hours to the procedure, it might be a hard sell. I'll wait for a lull to test a file. Thanks for that suggestion.

Mike,

It still sounds like voodoo, that one Illustrator file will not have redraw issues, but another will. The only difference is the presence of cropping. I stull suspect that InDesign is geting its signals crossed. Oe one hand, the image is this defined 3" x 3" swuare. On another, the image is a full 8.5" x 11" page. As I move the image around, only the 3" x 3" area is being processed by InDeisgn as it renders, crops, and uncrops within the frame. It's as though it has partly forgotten that there's more of the image.

It's understandable that in a complex program, different programmers create different subroutines. It is therefore also understandable that some of those routines function more efficeiently or problem-free than others. I think that's what's happening. Later today I will examine the issue on my iBook.

Scott,

Do you find it makes a difference how fast you move the image? Does it still get ed up if you slow way down?

I've seen some weird stuff that seems to be related to video and how fast you move when resizing grouped objects.

Peter
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

Do you find it makes a difference how fast you move the image? Does it
    still get ed up if you slow way down?

No difference. Also happens when moving with cursor keys. I think I've discovered a bug. I shall call it indesignus ghostdraggus.