Professional Web Applications Themes

ID3: Trapping black - Adobe Indesign Windows

I thought I had this figured out, but maybe there's some prepress magic going on at my usual printer that's actually taking care of the heavy lifting. I have a white caption that appears against a thick black rule (generated by a paragraph rule). This caption and the rule appear on top of a photograph. There may be dozens or a couple of hundred of them in a brochure. I have made a custom black called "Black Text", that is used for the rules. My trap values are 0.25 pt, and 0.5 pt for black. I thought I would get ...

  1. #1

    Default ID3: Trapping black

    I thought I had this figured out, but maybe there's some prepress magic going on at my usual printer that's actually taking care of the heavy lifting.

    I have a white caption that appears against a thick black rule (generated by a paragraph rule). This caption and the rule appear on top of a photograph. There may be dozens or a couple of hundred of them in a brochure.

    I have made a custom black called "Black Text", that is used for the rules. My trap values are 0.25 pt, and 0.5 pt for black.

    I thought I would get a choke on the black rule, but I don't This is the separation view in InDesign, but Acrobat's is no different. same for separations to a PosScript laser printer. And I even boosted the values to 1 pt (default) and 2 pt (black).

    There is shamefully little help on trapping in the (pardon the expression) doentation.

    I posted a question on this subject some time ago, and I thought this was the solution recommended, but it's not working for me now.

    Little help?
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ID3: Trapping black

    What? Nobody? Is this a dead end? Can't InDesign offer some control over traps?
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the topic, Scott.
    I hope somebody can help us.
    Heleen_Langeweg@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I posted a duplicate in the Mac forum, too. <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13.3bbc0e99/0>
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    FIRST:
    Only the color swatch called [Black] gets overprinted. All other swatches with another name get knocked out (choke/spread).
    So : is you create another color swatch, even if it is 100% k won't get overprinted.
    Now in the trap presets you specify the what is seen as black (neutral density, darkest color) = [black] not another black swatch.
    problem: you can use both [black] and any other named swatch 100% K on one page, so black gets knocked out AND overprint on the same page depending on wich swatch you use, however trap presets work only at page level. You can not spread the same color more and less somewhere else on the SAME page.

    Second: can you see trapping on screen? NO, you can NOT!

    o no matter what the value is, the separation preview will NOT show trapping (only knock out or overprint)
    The only thing you can do this is make a BIG value as much as 2mm(!) and separate that with InDesign inbuild trapping so your printer gets a page for each color. You will see now the trapping take place if you overlay your pages.
    wa_veghel@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Right ... Separations preview in ID does not show trapping. Neither will Acro's seps preview show it, because assumably you're looking at a comp (full color) PDF and trapping is not applied to comp output.

    As Wa says, the only time you can see the effects of trapping in ID is when you actually output separations. And when you do choose Separations in the Output area of the Print dialog box, you have to make sure to turn on Trapping right below -- it's set to Off by default.

    There is a way to view traps in composite PDF output from ID, but it's a kludge ... still, useful to see what ID's built-in trapping would do:
    <http://senecadesign.com/designgeek/dgarchives/designgeek31.php>
    (click on the story "InDesign CS's Auto Trapping")

    But I'm curious, are you a printer or pre-press person? In my experience there is very little need for designers to check/correct/set their own traps...most of the time your vendor will be ignoring those anyway and using their own high-end software to do the traps, tweaked for their equipment.

    AM
    Anne-Marie Guest

  7. #7

    I'm prepress for an in-house design department at a corporation. We've been producing and printing files for mailing in Europe, but the time difference when dealing with European offices, plus shipping to europe, cost us too much time. So the production has been moved to Europe, and we hope to get printing done there, too.

    We have a long and happy history with our printer in Canada, but damned few European printers can guarantee the turnaround we require. Providing near bulletproof files is essential. Since any European printer we deal with will be a new experience, each has slightly different requirements. The current one recently did not trap these rules, so we got an unsightly net fit.

    We need to figure out what's the best way to handle this. There are people in our European office that are closer to the printer and know moer about this specific issue than I. I'm just the guy charged with exploring this one possible solution.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    More:

    I tested one page of a brochure using in_RIUP trapping, and it worked. Weird, though, is that the black is actually trapped against the photograph, not just overprinting it. Hiding black in Acrobat gives the area the effect of the Predator's camoflage.

    But, the Distilling time is e x c r u c i a t i n g l y slow.

    In fact, it is too slow to be of any value whatsoever. There is no way I am going to spend a full day Distilling a Postscript file that, without the trapping, takes only a few minutes.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks Scott and everybody else.
    I guess I'll have to figure this out with our printer here...
    Heleen_Langeweg@adobeforums.com Guest