Professional Web Applications Themes

IDCS & Acrobat 6: PDFs from Distiller wrong size - Adobe Indesign Windows

Have yuo made a csutom page size of 10.5" wide x 15/9" tall? Yes, and I believe I said I know how to do that and that it works. What does NOT work is Distiller automatically making my PDFs from Indesign the correct size, as it DOES with files from Word, QuarkXPress, and Illustrator. My preferred workflow is to generate my PostScript (either through exported EPS files or PS files printed to disk) and Distill those without concern for individual settings for each file. So, once again, I ask why this does not work and how I can correct it....

  1. #21

    Default Re: IDCS & Acrobat 6: PDFs from Distiller wrong size

    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #22

    Who's the good authority? If it's your current printer you should be looking
    for a new one.

    I gfuess I get the idea that this is the gerneral concensus. Maybe a relic from when you had two ways to make a PDF and one of them was using PDF Writer. Since the Distiller method was universaly recognized as superior, I think that prejudice is hard to unlearn.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #23

    yes but I believe you're talking about changing the page size in the distiller application. I'm talking about adding the page size to the actual printer that creates the ps file (on disk), once again.

    sonic "Custom Page Sizes" 6/28/02 8:47pm </cgi-bin/webx?13.ef9653b/0>
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #24

    Scott,

    First, you are not being clear: you are telling us what you are getting, not how you got it.

    I agree with the exporting to PDF from ID, not because it is "unstable," but because some users can't handle them. PDF Writer is for applications like MS Office, ignore it. To print to Distiller or to PDF you have to install it as a printer, though that installation could be automatic when installing Distiller, I can't remember.

    Now, how do you make your files?

    Do you choose Printer: Postscriptfile and select the Distiller PPD?
    What do you use in Paper size? (what is 10.5 15/9"?) and are you including extra for crops, bleed, slug area?
    Is scale set to 100% and contrain proportions, or Scale to Fit?
    In Distiller, which job options do you select when distilling and do they allow PostScript file to override Adobe PDF settings?
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #25

    First, you are not being clear: you are telling us what you are getting,
    not how you got it.

    I think I have been quite explicit, but here I go again.

    1. I am exporting an EPS from InDesign 3 that is 10.5" wide x 15.9" tall. When I Distill in Acrobat Distiller 6 the PDF is 8.5" x 11".

    2. I am saving a PostScript file from InDesign 3's print window. The page size for output is 10.5" wide x 15.9" tall. When I Distill in Acrobat Distiller 6 the PDF is 8.5" x 11".

    3. I am saving an Illustrator (11 or 8) file with an unfilled, unstroked box 10.5" wide x 15.9" tall. When I Distill in Acrobat Distiller 6 the PDF is 10.5" x 15.9"

    4. I am saving an EPS from QuarkXPress 4.1 that is 10.5" wide x 15.9" tall. When I Distill in Acrobat Distiller 6 the PDF is 10.5" x 15.9"

    5. I am saving a PostScript file from QuarkXPress 4.1's print window. The page size for output is 10.5" wide x 15.9" tall. When I Distill in Acrobat Distiller 6 the PDF is 10.5" x 15.9"

    In EVERY case the default page size in Adobe Acrobat Distiller 6 is letter (8.5" x 11"). Somehow, Distiller is smart enought to determine the desired page size with the PostScript files created by QuarkXPress and Illustrator, but not InDesign. I want Distiller to produce PDF that are the desired size without having to enter them each time in my Distiller Settings. Clearly this is possible, as my years of experience in creating PDFs with earlier versions of Acrobat can attest, not to mention my current success with programs other than InDesign.

    Any other questions?
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #26

    Have you checked with your IT people about why Adobe PDF doesn't show up
    as a printer choice?

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #27

    Yes. They have their hands full supporting us, because we (6 people) were given significant hardware upgrades at the same time we got the full Creative Suite. We're not able to be very creative yet, and I'd hardly call the situation "sweet".
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #28

    Scott,

    Where are you located?

  9. #29

    I think I have been quite explicit, but here I go again.

    "I am exporting an EPS from InDesign 3 that is 10.5" wide x 15.9" tall" is not a description of what you are doing, it is a description of what you think you are doing without giving any specifics. I would like to know how you're defining your page size among other things, because I still suspect you are getting exactly what you asked for and that it's probably something obvious enough that when you see it you'll go: doh!

    You have yet to specifically address any of my questions. It's difficult to help if we are supposed to assume you're doing everything right.
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #30

    OK.

    My doent (File -> Doent Setup) is 10.5" wide and 15.9" tall, without any bleed. To make the EPS I Export as EPS (File -> Export) without bleed. This makes a file called "Machinery Trader.eps". If I place that EPS in InDesign, I get a picture frame that is 10.5" wide and 15.9" tall. I drag that file into the Acrobat Distiller window. Distiller is using Press quality settings.

    What haven't I explained yet? Do I need to videotape the process?
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #31

    Just to be sure, have you patched ID to 3.0.1 and Acrobat to 6.0.1?

  12. #32

    Yes and No. Need CD for upgrade to Acrobat, which means joining the queue in IT, which goes around the block and over the bridge.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #33

    Scott,

    How big is the file? If it's under 7 megs and you want me to take a
    look, e-mail it me at rjlevine<AT>verizon<DOT>net and I'll distill it
    here and get back to you on the results.

  14. #34

    I wouldn't export to EPS, but rather Print to PostScriptfile; however, I followed your instructions and got a PDF that's the correct size. I doubt it is a current version issue since I've followed the same procedure in each version.

    As well as sending Robert your postscript file to distill, you could take a test postscript file made by someone else and distill it to see what happens. That way you could narrow it down to either ID or Acrobat.
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12