Professional Web Applications Themes

IDCS & Acrobat 6: PDFs from Distiller wrong size - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have a doent in InDesign CS that is 10.5" wide x 15/9" tall. If I save an EPS or print to PS file, it Distills to 8/5 x 11. Why? How do I fix this?...

  1. #1

    Default IDCS & Acrobat 6: PDFs from Distiller wrong size

    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

  3. #3

    Default Re: IDCS & Acrobat 6: PDFs from Distiller wrong size

    How are you creating the PDF? You can print directly to Adobe PDF. Just
    hit the setup button in the print menu and then change the Adobe PDF
    options there.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I am saving a PS file from the print wondow, and saving an ESP from the Export window. These files are then Distilled using Distiller 6.0.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Then check your distiller settings.

  6. #6

    If you're not using the Distiller print driver, what page size do you have set in the Distiller application?
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Check them for what? I can, of course, change the default PDF size to what I want. I shouldn't have to. The EPS from Indesing, and the pritned PostScript file, should have all the size information I need. Other programs (Illustrator, QuarkXPress EPS files, QuarkXPress PostScript files, MS Worst PRNs, all work fine nad come out the proper size. Why not InDesign?

    As far as I know, there's no setting in Distiller other that the defualt size, to control the size of your PDFs.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    You need to set your paper size in Distiller.

  9. #9

    You need to set your paper size in Distiller.

    No. The size is set in ID when printing to file (and I think you should be getting a postcript file with a PS extension by default. You aren't exporting to EPS are you?). I always specify the page size to accommodate crops and whatever by adding 6 picas to both dimensions of the "paper size" and make sure the scale is 100% so that the doent doesn't enlarge to fit that size.
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    You need to set your paper size in Distiller.

    No other program requires me to do this. Distilled PDFs from other programs are the correct size, regardless of this setting in Distiller. Why has Adobe crippled one of their programs, and which one?
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Letter. I know I can change my page size in Ditiller. I don't want to have to do that every time I make a PDF from Indesign. Other programs (MS Worst, QuarkXPress, Illustrator) don't have this problem. PDFs from these programs come out the correct size, regardless of settings in Distiller.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    In the advanced tab of the Adobe PDF settings under DCS there are check
    boxes that might be affecting your output. Additionally, you might want
    to change the default page size to see if that helps.

  13. #13

    And one more thing to look at. If you're printing directly to Adobe PDF,
    hit the setup button which will allow you to choose a paper size. It's
    possible that the Adobe PDF setting is overriding the setting in ID.

  14. #14

    Why has Adobe crippled one of their programs…?

    They haven't. You haven't explained your procedure well enough for anyone to really tell where the problem is. Robert is shooting in the dark (you shouldn't be looking in Distiller at all for this problem); I am wondering where it is that you are setting your page size and what parameters you are using.
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    > Robert is shooting in the dark

    It's the only place left. <g>

  16. #16

    I think I was pretty clear with:

    I have a doent in InDesign CS that is 10.5" wide x 15/9" tall. If I
    save an EPS or print to PS file, it Distills to 8/5 x 11. Why? How do
    I fix this?

    But to explain further:
    1. EPS file exported from Indesign. Doent has no bleed, and EPS has no bleed provisions on export (or rather, adopts doent bleed settings of 0,0,0,0). EPS is dragged onto Distiller 6.

    2. From InDesign's print window, a PostScript file is created, which is then aslo distilled in Acrobat Distiller 6.

    Other programs that save EPS (Illustrator), PS or PRN files (Word), or both (QuarkXPress), using the same process, produce correctly sized PDFs. I do not have the ability to print straight to Distiller. The very scrictly controlled IT department set up my computer and installed all software.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    I still don't get it. You seem to be using EPS and postscript
    interchangably. You shouldn't.

    Are you printing to postscript and distilling or exporting as EPS?

    And just exactly why can't you print to Adobe PDF? It's not different
    than printing anything else. Also, why not export?

  18. #18

    Are you printing to postscript and distilling or exporting as EPS?

    Yes. I tried saving EPS first. When that didn't work I tried PS.

    And just exactly why can't you print to Adobe PDF? It's not different
    than printing anything else.

    I can't because there is no such printer available to select.

    Also, why not export?

    I have it on good authority that a more bulletproof and trouble free PDF is made through Distiller. I'd love to be wrong baout that.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    > I can't because there is no such printer available to select.

    Then as far as I can tell your Acrobat installation is flawed. If I'm
    right this could account for the other problems you're having. AFAIK,
    the Adobe PDF printer is installed when you install Acrobat 6.
    > I have it on good authority that a more bulletproof and trouble free PDF is made through Distiller. I'd love to be wrong baout that.
    Who's the good authority? If it's your current printer you should be
    looking for a new one.

  20. #20

    Have yuo made a csutom page size of 10.5" wide x 15/9" tall?
    If not check the cusom page size faq.
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast