Professional Web Applications Themes

IDCS lose focus can't reply to waitingapplication - Adobe Indesign Windows

Never a dull moment. I'm using IDCS, Windows XP Pro SP2. I'm seeing two phenoms, maybe both the same problem. First one I can describe better. I am printing an ID doent to Distiller, to create a PDF. The process should start, then ask me where I want to store the resulting PDF. But the window with that question sometimes can't make it to the front of the screen. So I can't see it to answer it and the whole process hangs. Sometimes it does work, and I think maybe it's because I click on ... something? some object? and ...

  1. #1

    Default IDCS lose focus can't reply to waitingapplication

    Never a dull moment. I'm using IDCS, Windows XP Pro SP2.

    I'm seeing two phenoms, maybe both the same problem. First one I can describe better. I am printing an ID doent to Distiller, to create a PDF. The process should start, then ask me where I want to store the resulting PDF. But the window with that question sometimes can't make it to the front of the screen. So I can't see it to answer it and the whole process hangs. Sometimes it does work, and I think maybe it's because I click on ... something? some object? and change the focus, and then the active window comes to the fore. Just changing to another open application, or opening another application doesn't do the trick.

    Another symptom of this is, if there is another open application, it doesn't matter what it is, could be Outlook, could be Solitaire. But while the reply window is waiting/hidden in InDesign, if I try to switch to the other application, I go right back to Indesign. BUT, if there are two or more other applications open, I can switch to all but one. Like I said, which one is unpredictable.

    The other problem I have seen while trying to print a PDF (having miraculously created it). Again I think there might be a hidden reply window. I click on Print in Adobe Reader, and normally the print dialog opens, then I click Print in that box and the status window opens. If all goes well. But when it hangs, it's after I click print in the print dialog window, then I only see two windows. The status window and the original one. The print dialog is gone (I think--mind like a sieve, this particular problem hasn't happened since day before yesterday). I can't do anything with the "cancel" button on the status bar, and it doesn't move. I go to Task Manager and there are three "Adobe Reader" listings under the Applications tab. One option if you right click an application is "go to process", and it will switch to the Processes tab and highlight the current process associated with the selected application. For two of these "Adobe Reader" instances, the process is "AcroRd32.exe" but for the third one it is "Explorer.exe". (this is also the case when the reply window hangs, which makes sense since it's maybe invoking Explorer to see where to file the PDF.)

    When this happens the only way out is to kill the applicatons with Task Manager. But, what makes me think it might be related to the first problem, if some other application is running, I cannot select it. If two or more other applications are running, I can go to all but one, but selecting that one (either from the task bar or from the Task Manager list) just brings me back to the hung Adobe Reader.

    So...what. Is this a Windows problem and not Adobe? One other clue. My whole life of owning PCs, new applications always are on top of the stack in terms of appearing on my screen. But sometimes lately, last couple of weeks, I start something, maybe Adobe Reader, maybe Character Map, and the icon appears on the task bar, but the application is at the back of the stack instead of popping out front. It's not tragic when this happens, I just click on the task bar icon and it comes forward. But when a window like the reply window gets stuck behind another window, then I am good and stuck.

    I figure, this is either some easy setting got unset, or a horrible virus has eaten my computer. (not mutually exclusive, huh?)
    Ellen_Schwartz@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    So...what. Is this a Windows problem and not Adobe?

    It is a Windows problem. It used to be quite common in XP before SP2, I don't see it very much in SP2. As far as I know there is no doented fix. What helps sometimes is clicking on the program icon on the thaskbar a few times: when you are lucky, the dialog comes to front (I have seen this happen many times).

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Interesting...I've NEVER seen this. Perhaps it's time for a clean
    install of Windows.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  4. #4

    Bob, you're a lucky guy then. As I said, I almost don't see it anymore with SP2. It could be the use of two monitors has something to do with it (but I thought you had two also).

  5. #5

    I do. I also did a clean install of Windows.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  6. #6

    I have 2 monitors and anything but a clean install of WindowsXP SP1 and I've never seen this either Teus.
    Robert Guest

  7. #7

    Wow. Well, I did a fresh install of Windows last March, and only then installed SP2. I had never previously seen this problem. However, if having two monitors helps prevent the problem, then I am definitely motivated, since I want two monitors anyway. However, it's part of the "infinite regress" thing. I need a different video card; my present one, on my Sony VAIO, doesn't accomodate two monitors. I'm building my new machine one component at a time, I tell myself. So, anyway, this is a good excuse to go for the second monitor!
    Ellen_Schwartz@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Bob and Robert,

    Although, like I said, I don't see it anymore lately I still think you are lucky not to have seen it. Not only has it been reported here in the forum, also several of my friends have reported this happening.

    Besides Windows, maybe the video drivers could be involved.

  9. #9

    Oh-oh. I'm just using up one of my "free" questions to Microsoft about this. They're always very technically advanced, but they have never actually solved any of my problems, so no big loss, I suppose. Maybe when people go to two monitors, then they need new drivers?

    I had to make another PDF this morning, a project that is driving me nuts mostly because I dread printing. (Does Export have the same problem? It must. --by the way, unrelated, I am distilling because the printing establishment's RIP doesn't support the CID encoded PDFs. Yes they should get with the program, but they're cheap and prompt and I don't get to choose who we use.) Anyway, I was able to get past it by restoring down, that is, "un-maximizing" InDesign's window before going into the print dialog. I also closed all other applications. When the process hung, and I clicked on the various visible windows, the screen went white, and various supernatural effects happened and then mirabile dictu! the "Where to save" window appeared and I could respond and make my PDF! I love these labor-saving devices...
    Ellen_Schwartz@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    But doesn't it make you feel extra special good when you manage to outwit said labor-saving devices? I feel quite full of myself when I manage it.
    Robert Guest

  11. #11

    My housemate is worried that I'll start doing live human sacrifices before printing doents. I don't think she should mind being sacrificed so we can get out a newsletter.

    But listen, on a slightly more serious note. I found a bunch of "lost focus" entries in the Microsoft Knowledgebase. Thing is, they were all Microsoft applications that lost focus, and in each case (okay, there were maybe 3) the solution was that the application in question had miscoded the...binding (?) of the window. That is, they seemed to be saying that the application is responsible for holding on to the focus. When it was a Microsoft application that lost focus, they stepped up to it and fixed it. And at least of couple of these were situations where a response window had hidden beind the application window, so couldn't be replied to.

    I've got a guy from Microsoft working on this (now I DO feel special!) so we'll see what happens.
    Ellen_Schwartz@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    I'm all for human sacrifices. I have a little list of people who never will be missed. (apologies to G&S). Anything that works.

    I'm curious to see what Microsoft will come up with. Be sure to share.
    Robert Guest