Professional Web Applications Themes

IDCS: mousewheel stops scrolling - Adobe Indesign Windows

My mousewheel stops scrolling up and down shortly after I start using a doent in ID CS. The only fix is very temporary: close the doent and reopen it. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm running Windows XP Home with a P4/3G, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, and 2 gig (yes, 2G) of RAM....

  1. #1

    Default IDCS: mousewheel stops scrolling

    Grotius@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: IDCS: mousewheel stops scrolling

    No help, just a confirmation that I've seen this behavior also.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  3. #3

    I can't help either, but I've seen that if I have 2 windows open for the same doent, I can only scroll in one of them. If I shut the one that works, then the scroll works fine in the remaining window.

    AG
    Alan_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Same platform - same situation. What I've done (on so many occasions) is to Alt+ scroll to go left or right; or Ctrl+scroll to zoom in and out - and then voila - the normal up and down scroll function seems to come back.

    Hope this helps
    Vicki
    vicki_loader@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Nothing to do with InDesign, but when I have occasionally lost scroll wheel
    function in other programs I've pulled the mouse plug out and put it back so
    Windows does a double take on the presence of a mouse. Don't know whether
    this will solve InDesign's quite often-reported mouse wheel failure, but it
    might be worth a try.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    All,

    This doesn't have anything to do with accidentally clicking the scroll wheel, does it? Doesn't clicking the wheel cycle it thru 3 modes?

    Sorry if I'm way off base.

    Mike Witherell
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  7. #7

    It's a good point but it hasn't nothing to do with that. At least not in
    my case. It just stops responding.

    I've gotten so used to it not working, I don't even try to use it most
    of the time.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  8. #8

    Same problem here. Vertical scroll works upon opening a doent and then quits. In fact, the zoom (Control/scroll) function is a bit flaky, too. It stops working after an Alt/scroll. But, at least in that case, an Alt/Control/scroll gets it going again. Haven't yet found the right combination of keys to solve the vertical problem.

    Karen
    Karen_Santoro@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling with this. It's really my single biggest complaint about InDesign. Well, maybe my second biggest complaint, after placing footnotes. :)

    Any prospects for a fix to the scrolling problem, Adobe?
    Grotius@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I'm primarily a Mac user, and I can't help noticing the irony of the Windows mousewheel scrolling problems in InDesign CS.

    When Mac users moved to InDesign 2 in Mac OS X, they found that their mousewheels didn't work. With the arrival of InDesign CS, mousewheels in OS X now proudly do their thing--either vertically or horizontally. Unfortunately, it appears that the problem was merely moved to another operating system!
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Yes---and it's particularly frustrating in text mode. I have no trouble scrolling in other apps, and I find I can't break the habit of trying to scroll in ID CS.

    The odd thing is, I have no trouble using the wheel to scroll horizontally (with Alt) and zoom in/out (with Ctrl). Only normal (vertical) scrolling is affected.
    Andy_Fielding@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    It's funny, I managed to get vertical scrolling to work, sort of, by keeping the index window open and periodically scrolling up and down in that. For some reason, that sometimes helps keep my vertical scroll OK. Not always, though.
    Grotius@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Solved! (At least on my system.) I just upgraded to the current Microsoft Intellipoint ver. 5.0. All ID CS scrolling works fine now.

    I'd resisted upgrading from 4.1 to 5.0, because 5.0 no longer allowed app-specific mouse-button assignments. I never used that feature much, though---and of course you can still make global settings. (I find that setting the wheel button to "Undo" is quite handy.)

    Hope this works for you, too.
    Andy_Fielding@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Oooh, that sounds promising. Thanks for the tip.
    Grotius@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Hmm...I have probs with the scroll wheel too. The upgrade to MS Itellipoint 5 does not seem to fix it for me...
    Ian_Matthew@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Erp---okay, it's not a complete solution. It works more often with Intellimouse 5 than with 4, but still oddly stops now and then. Go figure.
    Andy_Fielding@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    I have a Logitech wheel mouse. Here are the fixes I use:

    1. Doing certain things (changing paragraph/character style attributes, resizing frames, etc.) will make the scroll function go away. If you double-click into a text frame and press the space bar (and get a little "doink" noise), you can then scroll again.

    2. Following #1 seems to work about a dozen or so times until it catches on and you won't get the magic "doink" noise anymore. Now it's time to save your doent, close it, re-open it and begin scrolling again. Tres bothersome, but working in 400+ page docs like my team does on a regular basis, it's also tres necessary.

    Good luck to you. There's always the cartoon hand as an alternative.
    T._Hess@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Thanks, I'll try that. I'm still having some success keeping the Index window open and periodically dipping into it to scroll. But gah, it's all very annoying. Adobe, please fix this!
    Grotius@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    I'd like to amend my last post by observing that the new Intellimouse (er, sorry, "IntelliMouse") driver isn't infallible. There's still the odd time when, for no apparent reason, ID CS just won't scroll.

    I've also noticed another quirk: Sometimes, when I open a 2nd window for the same doent (to view two parts of it simultaneously), the mouse wheel scrolls only the first window---even when the second window has the focus. Go figure.
    Andy_Fielding@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    I've noticed that scrolling stops when I select the Type tool, but if I quickly zoom in and zoom out (using hotkeys I've created, F6 and F7), scrolling returns to normal. So for now I just zoom in and out routinely.
    Grotius@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast