Professional Web Applications Themes

IDCS2 - G4 MAC - tiling graphic elements - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I am in a business where I often make a set of graphic elements and then copy that set of elements across a page. I often make objects 3.667in x 8.5, 4.35x5.5 and 8.5x11 then tile them onto an 11x17 sheet. I tend to do this with a template and guides but this first can be quite monotonous copying and pasting up to 8 times across a page but is also heavy on the resources when I print because it has to link each image even if it is a duplicate. Plus I save the file twice once in the ...

  1. #1

    Default IDCS2 - G4 MAC - tiling graphic elements

    I am in a business where I often make a set of graphic elements and then copy that set of elements across a page. I often make objects 3.667in x 8.5, 4.35x5.5 and 8.5x11 then tile them onto an 11x17 sheet. I tend to do this with a template and guides but this first can be quite monotonous copying and pasting up to 8 times across a page but is also heavy on the resources when I print because it has to link each image even if it is a duplicate. Plus I save the file twice once in the small format and once in the tiled format so it is very inefficient. Is there an easier way to accomplish this? I have used mailmerge in CS2 and it tiles elements across the page in the fashion that I would like but nothing I have found can do it without mailmerge. I have tried also tried the step and repeat function but that only copies images in one direction, it can not tile it into columns - plus there is some set up there that I would like to avoid. Can anyone give suggestions?
    Roger_Flynn@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: IDCS2 - G4 MAC - tiling graphic elements

    Roger,

    I'm confused at what you're asking for. The Step and Repeat function is perfect--and quick--at what you need to accomplish, so I can't understand what you mean when you say "set up that you would like to avoid".

    Also, if there are "objects" you are trying to duplicate, why do you use mail merge? That's for changing text information.

    If you're looking for a "one-button" solution, the closest you'll come is the step and repeat. If each individual object changes each time it is duplicated, that sounds tedious any way you look at it. Give us some more info (or even a diagram/sample) on what you're attempting.

    Mikey
    HeyMikey@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Okay, I will attempt to explain this again. Take for example a certificate that I create 8.5 inches long and 3.66667 inches tall. I add pictures, text etc, approve it then prepare to print it. In preparation for printing I take that certificate and copy it into an 11x17 layout that has guides set so there are two columns and three rows. I basically drag and drop the certificates into these guides.

    The problem - it is extremely time consuming to open my template for this setup, copy and paste the certifcate six times, and then to wait for the computer to send graphical information for not just one but for six certificates. Problems also come when I want to change the certificate because that means I have to copy and paste it all over again except when there is just textual changes.

    I mentioned mailmerge because when you merge data to a doent in CS2 you can set the merged data to tile in a consistent form in both rows and columns all at once. If InDesign has a built in tiling function for mailmerge then surely there is a function for basic graphical information. In fact, when you merge a doent with data you can also merge it with graphical information and it will copy and paste it for you in the exact way I want it to. The only problem is that you HAVE to have data to merge the doent like this.

    The problem with step and repeat first is that it is actually more work then just copying and pasting the graphical information and still does not help the problem of having to make a new doent paste information in that doent and having linked information that the printer has to sift through.
    Roger_Flynn@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Why not write your original file to a PDF with a "generic" name. Set up a multi-up template, that already has an identical size "placeholder" PDF that uses the same "generic" name.

    If your template and the original PDF are in the same folder, just write your new PDF to replace the placeholder. Then just update the links. If you have changes, just overwrite the PDF again and update the links. You can reuse your templates over-and-over, just updating with the new PDFs.
    Tom Usrey Guest

  5. #5

    Tom that is great. Seems like a great work around. The only thing that is still a hassel is the need for it to link to numberous identical pdfs to print but that is better then linking to numberous other images. Thanks Tom I think that will work wonderful.
    Roger_Flynn@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Tom that is great. Seems like a great work around. The only thing that is still a hassel is the need for it to link to numberous identical pdfs to print but that is better then linking to numberous other images. Thanks Tom I think that will make my workflow go much easier.
    Roger_Flynn@adobeforums.com Guest