Professional Web Applications Themes

idcs2 Which program to use? - Adobe Indesign Windows

I am a fairly new user to cs2 and would appreciate if someone could point me towards a guide as to how best to get the use out of the different programs within the suite. It seems to me that they overlap quite considerably in what they can do. I am especially stumped at the moment as to when to use In Design over Illustrator. I do a lot of printed output; magazine advertising layouts, posters etc for our Real Estate company. Where should I put them all together, In Design or Illustrator?...

  1. #1

    Default idcs2 Which program to use?

    k_mitch_malone@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: idcs2 Which program to use?

    Here are some suggestions about what InDesign would be best for: Any multi-page project (Illustrator only does single pages); any project with much text (InDesign's text handling is much more powerful); projects with many placed files (InDesign's import filters are stronger). InDesign also has preflight/packaging which Illustrator does not. This would be my first choice for most publications.

    Illustrator is stronger when you are editing paths (it has more tools than ID, but ID has the more common one); ability to apply effects, graphic styles, brushes, symbols, envelopes. You can always create artwork in Illustrator, save as an AI file, and placing in InDesign.

    If you're more specific about what kind of print output you do, we could help you more.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I second Steve's advice.

    I do find Illustrator preferable for very complex illustrations, because it is very useful to be able to put objects on sublevels, which InDesign does not have.

    We used to use Illustrator for most of our illustration needs (which in our case is newspaper ads) and place the files into InDesign doents. Slowly but surely, we've migrated to using InDesign for 90% of the illustration work, too, for some of the reasons Steve mentions (especially text handling; Illustrator's text handling s, IMO). My advice is to learn InDesign first, and learn it thoroughly. Only bother with Illustrator if there's something you need to do that you can't do in InDesign.
    Stu_Bloom_x@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I'll add a thumbs up to Steve's advice, also. But I'll also point out
    that one book that does ship with the entire suite--Design Guide--might
    be a good read for you.

    Bob
    Bob Guest