Professional Web Applications Themes

IDCS2 / Win2K3 SP2 - Non-admin user issues - Adobe Indesign Windows

I've installed InDesign CS2 on a Win2k3 box as an administrator and it runs fine. My problem is that when a non-administrator logs into the server and tries to run the application they get an error message that states: "An error has been detected with a required application library and the product cannot continue. Please reinstall the application." If I logout and login again as an administrator the application runs fine again and the same thing is true if I add the user to the local administrator group but for lots of reasons this isn't something I'm comfortable doing as ...

  1. #1

    Default IDCS2 / Win2K3 SP2 - Non-admin user issues

    I've installed InDesign CS2 on a Win2k3 box as an administrator and it runs fine. My problem is that when a non-administrator logs into the server and tries to run the application they get an error message that states:

    "An error has been detected with a required application library and the product cannot continue. Please reinstall the application."

    If I logout and login again as an administrator the application runs fine again and the same thing is true if I add the user to the local administrator group but for lots of reasons this isn't something I'm comfortable doing as a long-term solution.

    My thoughts are that there must be either service, registry or folder permissions, or a combination of all three, that I need to modify to make this application work for a regular user account but I'm not really sure where to start.

    Anyone have any ideas on what the application does when it launches? In particular I'm interested in which registry keys are written and which folders are used for temp files etc so that I can start working on changing permissions. Alternatively if anyone has encountered an issue like this before and resolved it then I'd love to know how you went about it!

    Thanks,

    Peter
    Peter_Gough@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: IDCS2 / Win2K3 SP2 - Non-admin user issues

    Log in as the use and do a reinstall. When it tells you the user does not have permission, it usually asks if you want to install as an administrator. You have to give the administrator account and password and then it should install.

    Stan Wetherald
    Quality Quickprint
    DeLand, Florida USA
    Stan_Wetherald@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks.

    I've tried running the installation again when logged in as the user and it seems to complete correctly (with a little help from the run as...administrator command) but on launching the application I get the same result.

    I've also tried installing this the same way on another server with the same results. The servers are locked down fairly tightly and obviously I don't want to introduce unnecessary holes by granting admin rights to individual users in order to get this application to run.

    What I'm really interested in knowing is what access the logged-in users need to launch the application or conversely what registry keys, services and folders the application accesses in order to run so that I can grant appropriate permissions. At the moment I'm not even getting a splash-screen, just the error message, unless the user is added to teh admin group :-(

  4. #4

    Peter,

    Re-reading your post I just realized that by Win2k3 you probably mean Windows 2003 Server. This implies that you are trying to install on a server and run over the network at individual workstations, which seems to be confirmed in your second posting. If that is
    the case, #1 it isn't supported because #2 it's a violation of the license to run remotely. You need to install a licensed copy on each workstation individually.

    Uninstall (and deactivate) from the server and install on a workstation. I normally run as Admin on my Win2k box, but things work just fine if I log in as an ordinary user.

    The license allows installation on two computers, but the second is for non-simultaneous use by the same user, i.e. a laptop used at home or on the road.

    Peter
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Peter,

    I just ran into the same thing. I am trying to load this onto my application server (Citrix/Terminal Server) so that a couple people could share it (obviously not simultaneous). I just upgraded from CS to CS2 and started having this issue...which I never had with CS.

    I think you’re onto something about rights, etc…I have the same outcome and have had such issues in the past with other applications running under Terminal Server.

    While the licensing is somewhat vague when it comes to this (since we are not looking at having users using it at the same time), it doesn’t seem like a lock since if you give the user Admin rights it works. My guess is it’s a dll issue or a secondary application launch it’s trying to do. This usually entails files under the windows directory to be free to use. So maybe right restrictions under System32 directory?

    I am with you on not giving Admin rights…my problem would that they would be “shutting down” the server every 5 minutes.

    Anyway, Howler if you figure something out and I will do the same…
    Kyle_McAninch@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I just re-read the license agreement, and it seems I may have been incorrect that it is not permitted to install on a server, but unless you bought a multi-seat license you would be violating the terms by allowing more than one user to access the program over the network:

    "2.3 Server Use. You may install the Permitted Number of copies of the Software on the Permitted Number of Computer file server(s) within your Internal Network only for use of the Software initiated by an individual through commands, data or instructions (e.g., scripts) from a Computer within the same Internal Network. The total number of users (not the concurrent number of users) permitted to use the Software on such Computer file server(s) may not exceed the Permitted Number."

    So, if you only have a single seat license you should be installing it on the workstation.

  7. #7

    Licensing wise I think I'm ok. I've only got two users who need to use the software and we've purchased licences for both users so we should be right. We're not talking about giving access to multiple users and then restricting concurrent usage which would appear to be contrary to the LA.

    Sounds like my setup is pretty similar to Kyle's but I'm pretty confident that the problem is related to the the terminal services / Citrix side given that the behaviour is repeatable even if the user logs in at the console.

    It's something to do with the differences between the way in which the application runs on a locked-down Windows 2003 server and a Windows XP workstation that are the key to making this work; I just can't find out what the application is trying to access that is causing it to fail.

    At least I know I'm not the only one seeing this error but I'm not sure we're any nearer to finding a fix.

  8. #8

    Ooops! Meant to say that I'm pretty confident the problem is NOT related to the terminal services / Citrix side...

  9. #9

    Actually it is my gut feeling that it is surly due to it being a Terminal Server/Citrix issue. At least this is what I am seeing. It’s not that they are using it remotely its that the server is set up as a application server and not a remote admin station. I bet if you installed the software on just a standard windows 2003 server without it being in application mode it would work just fine from the console. Just a thought. My bet is that it is not a right restriction on a file(s), but a service or application being fired on software launch. Terminal Service/2003 is very protective of services and such starting from within a application…for security reason of course. You might take a look at your task manager at launch while logged into Admin and then as the restricted user…anything different?

    Again…just talking out loud. But it looks like me might be alone on this one…

    Hope we can figure this out or it’s off to Quark I go…

    By the way…I am using single license of InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator because in the past I have had difficulties with the full-n CS version. Just FYI.
    Kyle_McAninch@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Well I think we might be in trouble...

    I just found a doent that states that the CS2 version that runs License Manager (Adobelm.dll) will not work on Terminal Server. It says we must run the non-licensing version...whatever that means. I did find doentation out there that this also was the case for CS1 and the way around it was to replace a couple dll's with a cracked version.

    I am off to find this crack to "test" out my theory.

    Just another time...the user is put out because of piracy...which I am beginning to understand.

    Out.
    Kyle_McAninch@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    > Out.