Professional Web Applications Themes

iDVD infinite loop - Mac Applications & Software

iDVD 3.0.1 for me will freeze at the end of a multi-hour burn without burning anything, forever claiming it would finish in a minute. I would need to "Force quit", then I would find a clean unwritten DVD in the drive. I first suspected a hardware problem, but no, the finder could burn a DVD. As the movie was large and debugging took multiple days, I can only report on my suspicions. My prime suspicion is the "Brush Strokes" theme with chapters. I found even the previewer failed. It would not properly return to the opening page. Then I tried ...

  1. #1

    Default iDVD infinite loop

    iDVD 3.0.1 for me will freeze at the end of a multi-hour burn without
    burning anything, forever claiming it would finish in a minute.
    I would need to "Force quit",
    then I would find a clean unwritten DVD in the drive.
    I first suspected a hardware problem, but no, the finder could burn a DVD.

    As the movie was large and debugging took multiple days,
    I can only report on my suspicions. My prime suspicion
    is the "Brush Strokes" theme with chapters.
    I found even the previewer failed.
    It would not properly return to the opening page.

    Then I tried changing themes and found myself
    within the previewer jumping from theme to theme!

    I first encountered trouble with Brushstrokes when I added
    chapters to a movie. Even when deleteing the non-chapter movie
    and then reintroducing the chaptered movie. Then I thought
    that old .dvdproj files should never be saved, always built anew.
    I believed that until I found the Brushstrokes previewer was
    flakey too. Whew!

    Anyway, most of the time (no chapters) iDVD does what I need.

    --
    o ~
    _-'\_ ~ Jon Claerbout: jon sep.stanford.edu

  2. #2

    Default Re: iDVD infinite loop

    In article <bml36j$75v$Stanford.EDU>,
    Jon Claerbout <Stanford.EDU> wrote:

    I've had this problem myself, but I thought I had a bad IDE cable. And
    mine didn't have anything to do with any theme. So I don't know. Your
    problem is not uncommon. If anyone out there has a definitive answer,
    I'd like to know too.
    Sam Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bml36j$75v$Stanford.EDU>, Jon Claerbout <Stanford.EDU> wrote:

    When I upgraded the firmware in the Pioneer 104 DVD-R drive, I suddenly
    encountered a problem that I had read about many times on
    www.xlr8yourmac.com: the DVD drive becomes unresponsive after ~30
    minutes of inactivity.

    After a fair amount on teeth-gnashing, and a lot of web surfing, I came
    across mention of a command-line utility called pmset.

    Try the following:

    Run "pmset -g" under terminal.

    Check the line that says "spindown" - if the value is not zero, you _may_
    be being hit by the "DVD drive won't wake up problem".

    The value of spindown _seems_ to track the "put hard drives to sleep"
    checkbox in the energy saver panel, but when I first looked at the pmset
    output, it was NOT in synch with that checkbox. (box was unchecked, but
    spindown was non-zero)

    I'd sure appreciate it if others would take a quick look and see if
    the pmset spindown reflects that checkbox as well.

    In my case, the following steps resolved the "iDVD never finishes burn"
    problem:

    Set the Energy panel to never sleep the Mac
    Set the Energy panel to never sleep the hard drives
    Verify that the spindown value is zero using "pmset -g"

    If spindown is non-zero and that hard drive box is checked - please let us
    know. I'd sure like independent verification, as I have been unable to
    reproduce that state since I first encountered it. I believe that it is
    a hang-over from an earlier version of OS X (10.0 or 10.1).

    If the spindown and checkbox are out of synch, I suspect you can fix them
    by simply checking the box, closing the panel, opening the panel, and
    unchecking the box. You could also use "pmset -a spindown 0" under sudo
    to force the issue...

    Given that I definitely saw a case where those two were out of synch, I
    think that a lot of confusion about why disabling sleep has worked for
    some people, but not for others, may be due to the fact that the
    checkbox sometimes "lies" about the actual power management status.

    I certainly don't believe this is the only cause of iDVD hanging,
    but it certainly fixed the problems I was seeing immediately.

    Let us know what you find...

    HTH.

    --
    Jim Glidewell
    My opinions only

  4. #4

    In article <bml36j$75v$Stanford.EDU>,
    Jon Claerbout <Stanford.EDU> wrote:

    Yea, the same thing happens to me when I try to make a compressed disk
    image from my Pioneer 105 DVD drive. While the image is compressing,
    which takes a long time, the drive goes to sleep - never to wake again.
    I can't even eject the disk, I have to restart to get it to wake up.

    Setting the energy saver in system preferences to never sleep and never
    spin down the hard drives seems to prevent the problem, but some times I
    forget to do so - I sure wish Apple (or Pioneer) would fix it.

    --
    -Ernie-

    "There are only two kinds of computer users -- those who have
    suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure, and those who will."

    Have you done your backup today?
    Ernie Guest

  5. #5

    When I removed the chapter markers the DVD burned fine.
    When I tried chapters with other themes it also failed.

    The peculiar thing about my movie (with only two chapters)
    is that the chapters have nothing between them but
    about 25 stills (extracted from the earlier video).

    I've been lucky. I've burned 150 DVD's without a dud and
    I use the cheap 80 cent DVD's that I buy from shop4tech.com

    But I have had lots of problems with the drive on my powerbook
    which aged very fast and now will not even read a new software CD.

    I think lots of people blame iDVD for hardware problems.
    My advice to anyone getting a new machine is to
    USE THE FINDER TO BURN A DVD.
    A good idea to do it again when your warrantee is running out.
    If that DVD is not readable on other Macs,
    bring your machine in for service.

    My home DVD player is not so finicky so I unfortunately
    failed to do that while under warrantee.