Professional Web Applications Themes

iDVD sound synch problems >:-( - Mac Applications & Software

I haven't been this frustrated by an Apple application in almost 19 years!! All other applications turned off. Burning started only after iDVD conversion done. AirPort turned off, no net connectivity. iDVD preview has no sound synch problems. Still sound synch problems in an 85 minute movie which is so severe that every burned DVD is coaster material. Yet, some other DVDs do not end up being unusable. I feel as if I was a Windows user :-/ -Sven...

  1. #1

    Default iDVD sound synch problems >:-(

    I haven't been this frustrated by an Apple application in almost 19
    years!!

    All other applications turned off.

    Burning started only after iDVD conversion done.

    AirPort turned off, no net connectivity.

    iDVD preview has no sound synch problems.

    Still sound synch problems in an 85 minute movie which is so severe that
    every burned DVD is coaster material.

    Yet, some other DVDs do not end up being unusable.

    I feel as if I was a Windows user :-/

    -Sven
    Sven Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: iDVD sound synch problems >:-(

    In article
    <news.prodigy.com>,
    Sven <grenander.com> wrote:

    Have you been discussing this at the Apple site? If so, go there
    instead. There are a lot of people there who are quite knowledgable and
    you post in specific areas making it easier to be seen and helped by
    those who have similar experiences.

    I think your problem might be the length but I'm not sure. What is the
    method of exporting from iMovie that you're using? Is the resulting
    export also out of sync before the burn?
    Vincent Guest

  3. #3

    Are you absolutely sure that the sound was recorded in 16 bit and not 12?
    Many camcorders default to 12-bit for no good reason. This will affect
    sync, especially in long clips.

    Jeff Guest

  4. #4

    In article <net>,
    "Jeff Price" <com> wrote:

    No, I'm not sure at all, why should I be ? As a matter of fact it very
    well may have been 12 bit to get 90 minutes out of the DV tapes since
    that is how it is done.

    I'm amazed that this fatal flaw in consumer DVD burning using iDVD
    doesn't have a Mac-obvious explanation clearly posted. At $4 and 6+
    hours per test it sure shouldn't be up to the individual customer to
    guess what might be causing the failures.

    -Sven
    Sven Guest

  5. #5

    In article
    <news.prodigy.com>,
    Sven <grenander.com> wrote:

    > No, I'm not sure at all, why should I be ? As a matter of fact it very
    > well may have been 12 bit to get 90 minutes out of the DV tapes since
    > that is how it is done.
    >
    > I'm amazed that this fatal flaw in consumer DVD burning using iDVD
    > doesn't have a Mac-obvious explanation clearly posted. At $4 and 6+
    > hours per test it sure shouldn't be up to the individual customer to
    > guess what might be causing the failures.[/ref]

    I just called up iMovie Help (from iMovie 3.0.3) and entered "audio
    sync" into the search box. Here is the text of one of the topics it
    listed:

    --
    Gordon Alley <*>
    <mailto:net>

  6. #6

    In article
    <news.prodigy.com>,
    Sven <grenander.com> wrote:

    > No, I'm not sure at all, why should I be ? As a matter of fact it very
    > well may have been 12 bit to get 90 minutes out of the DV tapes since
    > that is how it is done.[/ref]

    No, that is not how it is done.

    You can record either 12-bit or 16-bit audio at either tape speed. The
    format and quality of audio and video is bit-for-bit identical at both
    tape speeds (unlike og video where slow speed degrades quality).
    When you record at slow tape speed there is a greater chance of dropouts
    from small tape flaws, and a greater chance that your tape will not play
    back in any camera or deck except the one that made it. There is also a
    risk that if you get your own camera's heads realigned during servicing,
    it will not play back its own old slow speed tapes. So slow tape speed
    should be used only when you absolutely need to record over 60 minutes
    without stopping to change tapes.

    The only reason to use 12 bit audio is if you need to be able to dub in
    an additional pair of audio tracks on a tape. If you are doing your
    editing on a computer that is seldom useful. Always use 16 bit audio and
    you will get the best available quality.
    --
    .... Al Quirt ... Ottawa Canada ...
    .... Please remove anti-spam BIRD for email replies ...