Professional Web Applications Themes

IE 5.1 Pull-down menus - Macromedia Dreamweaver

yevri: See if this URI works for you. If it does (it's a vanilla FW pop-up menu) then there is something else wrong with yours. It works for me in IE5/Mac.... http://www.great-web-sights.com/library4d.html (that chunk of code you see above the menus is the HTML that must be written to each page every time you load one containing the menus. -- Murray --- ICQ 71997575 Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!) ================== news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver - THE BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS ================== http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage! http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: IE 5.1 Pull-down menus

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "yevri" <com> wrote in message
    modified in Dreamweaver.
    other versions of IE
    I've heard (on this forum included), that IE 5 Mac has problems with
    Javascript (detection being one of those). Is this a IE 5 issue that I will
    have to live iwth or is there something I can do (such as adjust the delay
    time) that will help it work fine on IE 5 Mac without causing problems with
    other browsers.
    things - such as search, store and live operator - won't work).

    Murray Guest

  2. #2

    Since i posted the last message I decided to check in some other older browsers.

    Netscape 4.7 Mac: The pull-down menus didn't disappear, but they only worked some of the time

    Netscape 4.6 Windows: Menus don't work and the top table pushes down, messing up design.

    I didn't think it was a bid deal at first since IE 5 Mac has to be a miniscule amount of the browser
    market, but the fact that it has problems with Netscape 4.7 on the mac is troublesome. I know a few
    people still using that browser - so I wonder how many still are.

    Why don't the Dreamweaver/Fireworks pull-down menus work in those browsers?

    Thanks,

    Yevri

    yevri Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks. I went to that site and tried it in IE 5 - and the menus seemed to work (although they didn't go anywhere - not sure if they were supposed to). Netwscape 4.7 worked the same way.

    So what does that mean for my menus? I created them in Fireworks and added a few choices once in Dreamweaver.

    Thanks,

    Yevri

    yevri Guest

  4. #4

    yevin:

    The menus do not link anywhere.

    The fact that mine work and yours do not means that you have made an error
    somewhere in your code. Please post a URI to one of your pages, and I'll
    tell you where the error is.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  5. #5

    Thanks. Here is the URL:

    http://www.burstcorp.com/gazelles/

    yevri Guest

  6. #6

    yevri:

    Your page could use some cleanup, some CSS, and lots fewer <font> tags -

    <em><strong><font color="4e0776" size="3" face="Arial, Helvetica,
    sans-serif"><br>
    size="3" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font size="1" face="Verdana,
    Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Verne

    Be aware that table/cell heights are not valid HTML and are unreliable as a
    layout method.

    <script language="JavaScript1.2">mmLoadMenus();</script>

    I'm certain that your table issues in NN are arising from the complexity of
    your tables. I counted 11 colspans and 3 rowspans, and those 14 -spans
    produce a very complex beast for NN as well as a table that is sure to be a
    little troublesome as you add content. I would simplify my table structure
    alot. Instead of merging cells, end your table and stack another under it
    with the desired cell structure. Instead of splitting cells, nest a new
    table with the desired cell structure.

    Your menu issue is likely caused by this -

    <script language="JavaScript1.2">mmLoadMenus();</script>

    IE5x/Mac is pretty hinky about weird layer constructs, and this one is
    weird. Since the pop-ups are layer based menus, you have in effect put
    layers into a center aligned <div> with this code. I'm not sure what IE5x
    does with that, but it's inaccurate at best, and at worst it's utterly
    useless, to wrap a positioned <div> with a center aligned one.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================
    http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    ==================

    "yevri" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  7. #7

    I know the tables are very complex - I hate how complex they are when creating them in Fireworks,
    but I wanted a quick way to create layout and figured if I created it in Fireworks/Dreamweaver I
    could count on it working in most browsers (complex or not). I guess that's not the case.

    At this point I don't know that i can clean that up without starting over. And I'm not sure that it's
    worth the effort for IE5.x on the Mac and Netscape 4.x on both platforms. I've looked at some
    stats that show those browsers as barely on the radar, but I know that stats can be misleading
    when it comes to browsers.

    How tough will it be for me to change those pop-up menus and any idea of stats that I can trust?

    Thanks,

    Yevri

    yevri Guest

  8. #8

    yevri:

    I'll say. It's neither QUICK nor EASY. The quick and easy way to do it
    would be to spend an hour to read about HTML tables, and then build them
    yourself.

    Starting over is the right thing to do, if you want the page to be right.

    Trust me - it's worth the effort. Look at what it will do for *you*.

    It will be easy. Go through these tutorials -

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm

    or

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm

    Visit your clients and their customers. Look at the stats for similar
    demographics. They reveal the truth. All other statistics are lies. 8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================
    http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    ==================

    "yevri" <com> wrote in message
    creating them in Fireworks,
    Fireworks/Dreamweaver I
    that's not the case.
    And I'm not sure that it's
    I've looked at some
    stats can be misleading
    stats that I can trust?

    Murray Guest

  9. #9

    yevri:

    Stay in touch with the forum and post your progress. Good luck!

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources

    "yevri" <com> wrote in message