Professional Web Applications Themes

IE still included with Panther? Or just Safari? - Mac Networking

In article <170720032027309109%nospam.invalid>, Keeper of the Purple Twilight <nospam.invalid> wrote: > It seems a foregone conclusion that Safari 1.0 will be included with > Panther (OSX 10.3). Will Internet Explorer also be included? Or is > Safari going to be *replacing* IE as the only bundled browser with > Panther? Yes, IE is in the panther developer release. -- Sandman[.net]...

  1. #1

    Default Re: IE still included with Panther? Or just Safari?

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman Guest

  2. #2

  3. #3

    I had read that MS wasn't going to support Office any more. So I didn't
    expect them to support IE. When I went to the MS download page, I
    couldn't even find IE for any version of OSX. The most recent download
    offered was for OS 9.

    Is MS taking its toys and walking away in a huff?
    Not Exactly Thrilled Guest

  5. #5

    In comp.sys.mac.comm Whytoi <whytoihotmail.com> wrote:
    > In article <170720032027309109%nospam.invalid>, Keeper of the Purple
    > Twilight <nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >> It seems a foregone conclusion that Safari 1.0 will be included with
    >> Panther (OSX 10.3). Will Internet Explorer also be included?
    > Do you care? In any case you'll probably want to download the latest IE
    > version from MS web site for free.
    Nope, I'll be pleased to have IE _not_ ship with 10.3. First thing I
    remove from any system; if you mix dirty water with clean water, you
    just get more dirty water. Better that it's not there at all, far
    as I'm concerned.

    From what I recall, Safari is replacing IE. Microsoft has also announced
    that they won't be doing any more versions of IE for the Mac, which is the
    first time in a long time that any of their product decisions has brought
    me joy.

    Dave Hinz

    davehinz@spamcop.net Guest

  6. #6

    In comp.sys.mac.comm Whytoi <whytoihotmail.com> wrote:
    > In article <170720032027309109%nospam.invalid>, Keeper of the Purple
    > Twilight <nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >> It seems a foregone conclusion that Safari 1.0 will be included with
    >> Panther (OSX 10.3). Will Internet Explorer also be included?
    > Do you care? In any case you'll probably want to download the latest IE
    > version from MS web site for free.
    Nope, I'll be pleased to have IE _not_ ship with 10.3. First thing I
    remove from any system; if you mix dirty water with clean water, you
    just get more dirty water. Better that it's not there at all, far
    as I'm concerned.

    From what I recall, Safari is replacing IE. Microsoft has also announced

  7. #7

    In article <michelle-35A28D.23162417072003news.west.cox.net>, Michelle Steiner wrote:

    >> > Do you care?
    >>
    >> Yes, I do. Now answer the question.
    >
    > What makes you think that anyone here who is not under and NDA knows the
    > answer?
    >
    > We will all find out when Panther ships, and if IE isn't included, it
    > will still be available through other venues.

    Why the animosity? I thought that was a very good question. I have Safari
    1.0 and, although it is a vast improvement over the beta versions, it still
    does not cut the mustard. Safari can not be used to do my everyday
    banking. After login, the pages and forms are not rendered correctly. I
    will still need IE or Netscape for my needs.

    --
    -=[cwa]=-
    e-Mail: chris at cwaiken dot net

  8. #8

  9. #9

    Christopher W Aiken <cwaikennospam.net> wrote in comp.sys.mac.system:
    > In article <michelle-35A28D.23162417072003news.west.cox.net>, Michelle
    > Steiner wrote:

    > >> Yes, I do. Now answer the question.
    > >
    > > What makes you think that anyone here who is not under and NDA knows the
    > > answer?
    > >
    > > We will all find out when Panther ships, and if IE isn't included, it
    > > will still be available through other venues.
    > >

    > Why the animosity? I thought that was a very good question. I have Safari
    > 1.0 and, although it is a vast improvement over the beta versions, it still
    > does not cut the mustard. Safari can not be used to do my everyday
    > banking. After login, the pages and forms are not rendered correctly. I
    > will still need IE or Netscape for my needs.
    You didn't ask me, but I'll reply anyhow :)

    The question is valid. The way the OP demands an answer is annoying.

    Anno
    Anno Siegel Guest

  10. #10

    In comp.sys.mac.system Keeper of the Purple Twilight <nospam.invalid> wrote:
    > Yes, I do. Now answer the question.
    Considering that Panther does not exist yet in the consumer
    market, only those who are bound by a NDA and those with a
    crystal ball can answer your question. I suggest you wait
    to see what happens when Panther is available to consumers.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  11. #11

  12. #12

    In article <slrnbhgavo.m4u.cwaikenpanix3.panix.com>,
    Christopher W Aiken <cwaikennospam.net> wrote:
    > In article <michelle-35A28D.23162417072003news.west.cox.net>, Michelle
    > Steiner wrote:

    > >> Yes, I do. Now answer the question.
    > >
    > > What makes you think that anyone here who is not under and NDA knows the
    > > answer?
    > >
    > > We will all find out when Panther ships, and if IE isn't included, it
    > > will still be available through other venues.
    > >

    > Why the animosity? I thought that was a very good question. I have Safari
    > 1.0 and, although it is a vast improvement over the beta versions, it still
    > does not cut the mustard. Safari can not be used to do my everyday
    > banking.
    .. . . perhaps you should contact your bank and get them to fix their Web
    site :)
    </facet>
    More seriously, what kind of problems are you experiencing with forms? I
    have been using Safari as my main browser from its first beta release,
    and have noticed no such trouble.

    Glenn

    GDB Guest

  13. #13

    Keeper of the Purple Twilight <nospam.invalid> wrote:
    > It seems a foregone conclusion that Safari 1.0 will be included with
    > Panther (OSX 10.3). Will Internet Explorer also be included?
    Most likely.

    > Or is Safari going to be *replacing* IE as the only bundled browser with
    > Panther?
    Eventually. Not yet.
    Neill Massello Guest

  14. #14

    Keeper of the Purple Twilight <nospam.invalid> wrote:
    > It seems a foregone conclusion that Safari 1.0 will be included with
    > Panther (OSX 10.3). Will Internet Explorer also be included?
    Most likely.

    > Or is Safari going to be *replacing* IE as the only bundled browser with
    > Panther?
    Eventually. Not yet.
    Neill Massello Guest

  15. #15

    In <180720031404055876%nospam.invalid> Keeper of the Purple Twilight
    wrote:
    > In article <20030718144149703-0400news.local>, David Turley
    > <dturley_NO_WAY_pobox.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Of course they have to include IE, unless the bozo at Apple who
    >> decided you needed to use IE to set Safari's protocal prefs has been
    >> fired
    >
    > You don't need to do that. At least I never have.
    so how do you tell safari what apptop use for ftp links, etc?

    the only way I've ever found was via IE internet prefs or a third pary
    app. it's pretty commonly known problem. There's probably a way to do it
    by editing some plist file somewhere.

    Maybe some IE programmer could help apple put this in safara :-)
    David Turley Guest

  16. #16

  17. #17

    In <20030718161457759-0400news.local> David Turley wrote:

    > Maybe some IE programmer could help apple put this in safara :-)
    for the humor-impaired, I'm being facetious. the only apple can learn
    from MS is how to bloat apps til they die a blue screen death. (well,
    may apple learned something about user-switching. :-)

    David Turley Guest

  18. #18

  19. #19

    In article <usenetOnly-CA5741.07574218072003newstest2.earthlink.net>,
    Not Exactly Thrilled <usenetOnlyearthlink.net> wrote:
    > I had read that MS wasn't going to support Office any more. So I didn't
    > expect them to support IE. When I went to the MS download page, I
    > couldn't even find IE for any version of OSX.
    You must have not looked very hard. Found it in less than a minute at
    <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx#IE>
    > The most recent download offered was for OS 9.
    See above link.
    > Is MS taking its toys and walking away in a huff?
    No. I think it has realized that the all the free stuff out there for
    Unix-based system is only going to get their clocks cleaned on the Mac so
    they are cutting there losses there focusing on the Windows user flight to
    Linux. I mean city goverenments all over the world are looking at Linux
    and the Opensorce stuff as the cheap alternative to Windows.
    Bruce Grubb Guest

  20. #20

    In article <usenetOnly-CA5741.07574218072003newstest2.earthlink.net>,
    Not Exactly Thrilled <usenetOnlyearthlink.net> wrote:
    > I had read that MS wasn't going to support Office any more. So I didn't
    > expect them to support IE. When I went to the MS download page, I
    > couldn't even find IE for any version of OSX.
    You must have not looked very hard. Found it in less than a minute at
    <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx#IE>
    > The most recent download offered was for OS 9.
    See above link.
    > Is MS taking its toys and walking away in a huff?
    No. I think it has realized that the all the free stuff out there for
    Unix-based system is only going to get their clocks cleaned on the Mac so
    they are cutting there losses there focusing on the Windows user flight to
    Linux. I mean city goverenments all over the world are looking at Linux
    and the Opensorce stuff as the cheap alternative to Windows.
    Bruce Grubb Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast