Professional Web Applications Themes

If anyone has some spare time for a website check ... - Photography

Michael Stevens wrote: > On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:41:52 +0100, "graham sumner" <gsumbaesyst.com> > wrote: > > >>Well said. The web is about information - not flashy sites. > > > Or not ... > > I won't argue with people who dislike Flash. I'm not trying to convert > people. But, to say "the web is about information" is ignoring an > incredibly HUGE segment of the web and the possiblities that the web > presents. > > If not about information, then WHAT?...

  1. #1

    Default Re: If anyone has some spare time for a website check ...

    Michael Stevens wrote:
    > On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:41:52 +0100, "graham sumner" <gsumbaesyst.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Well said. The web is about information - not flashy sites.
    >

    > Or not ...
    >
    > I won't argue with people who dislike Flash. I'm not trying to convert
    > people. But, to say "the web is about information" is ignoring an
    > incredibly HUGE segment of the web and the possiblities that the web
    > presents.

    If not about information, then WHAT?

    Ron Hunter Guest

  2. #2

    Michael Stevens wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:01:25 GMT, "ralford" <ralfordbigfoot.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>You succeeded. Your gallery is set apart and unviewed by a significant
    >>portion of the viewers who aren't impressed by web crap but are looking for
    >>photos.
    >>
    >>Get your priorities correct. The best way to set yourself apart in
    >>photography isn't a "gimmick" but great photos. If you can't do the latter,
    >>go into web design....
    >

    > My priorities are just fine. But thanks for your concern.
    >
    > One can have a great photos AND have an up to date, 21st Century-era
    > website at the same time. I don't plan on limiting myself because a
    > small segment of society won't view my site.
    >
    > And, if you think that the few people who attempted to respond
    > represents a "significant portion" of anything beyond this newsgroup
    > (and probably not even that) you are mistaken. I don't personally know
    > anyone that refuses to view Flash sites.

    Perhaps not, but then that is no surprise as you probably seek out
    like-minded people. You asked, you got a concensus, you are ignoring
    it. Fine. Have a nice life.

    Ron Hunter Guest

  3. #3

    Michael Stevens wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 05:11:46 -0500, Ron Hunter <rphuntercharter.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hey, feel free to ignore the advice, but consider that you DID ask, and
    >>we DID answer. Reminds me of my wife who asks me a question, then
    >>argues with my answer. Sigh.
    >

    > Yes, I did ask but did not get much "constructive" criticism. Most
    > everyone wants the Flash gone (not gonna happen) and many of
    > responders didn't even bother to view the site, yourself apparently
    > included. If someone refuses to even look at it I don't see how I can
    > give their "criticism" any value.
    >
    > I know I'll wind up toning it down some but making a static page is,
    > to me anyway, senseless when we can do so much more with the web.

    > [url]http://www.newsfeed.com[/url] The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
    No, I did NOT view the site as I don't have flash on my browser. That
    pretty much renders the site unviewable, now doesn't it?
    It appears you consider the web to be for passing time, and
    entertainment. Not what I am about.

    Ron Hunter Guest

  4. #4

    Isn't there is some advice about mud wrestling and pigs?

    cheers,

    rma

    news:9%ePa.24195$Sh4.2124fe08.atl2.webusenet.com. ..

    News==----
    > > [url]http://www.newsfeed.com[/url] The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
    Newsgroups
    > > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via
    Encryption =---

    > No, I did NOT view the site as I don't have flash on my browser. That
    > pretty much renders the site unviewable, now doesn't it?
    > It appears you consider the web to be for passing time, and
    > entertainment. Not what I am about.

    ralford Guest

  5. #5

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 17:45:20 -0400, Charlie D
    <cdilksbellatlantic.net> wrote:
    >Michael Stevens <bigmikeatbigmikesdotorg> wrote:
    >
    >> I won't argue with people who dislike Flash. I'm not trying to convert
    >> people. But, to say "the web is about information" is ignoring an
    >> incredibly HUGE segment of the web and the possiblities that the web
    >> presents.
    >
    >That's true.
    >I've turned flash on to visit sites that had flash games and cartoons.
    >They were fun.
    >If a moving picture gets information across in a more understandable
    >manner, fine.
    >As far as gratuitous noise and motion are concerned, phooey!
    >It's several steps worse than those who post a page of text with a
    >background of flowers. It may be attractive to the web designer. Too bad
    >you can't read it.
    I'll buy that. I don't think Flash animations are nearly as bad as a
    "background of flowers" with unreadable type across it but to each his
    own.

    Thanks for the comments.

    [url]http://www.newsfeed.com[/url] The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    Michael Stevens Guest

  6. #6

    In article <eldrgv8gus0n6902te9f8t5l2hoga18hto4ax.com>, Michael Stevens
    <bigmikeatbigmikesdotorg> says...
    > If that's not what you are about I'm fine with that. To me that's what
    > the web is about: entertainment. Probably 7 out of 10 times I get
    > online it's for some type of mindless entertainment.

    Ah, that makes much more sense then. It goes a long way to explain why
    you designed the page in the way that you did. If the internet is
    entertainment for you, that's fine. But you need to understand that for
    most people, it's about information. If they go to your site looking for
    information and get entertainment, you'll lose them very quickly. You
    need to decide if you are writing the page for yourself or for your
    potential customers. If you are doing it for yourself, then Flash it up
    all you want. You can reload it and admire your handy work as often as
    you want. If however you are doing it for others, you need to realize
    why they are coming there in the first place and it's not to see your
    Flash skills in action. It's to see your photos. If the Flash gets in
    the way of their purpose for being there, then it is a badly designed
    site.

    It's kinda like being a radio DJ. You can play SOME of the music you
    like but most of it needs to be what your audience likes so you can keep
    them tuned into your station. Keep your favorite music for listening to
    on your own time :-)

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

  7. #7

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:41:20 -0700, Michael Stevens
    <bigmikeatbigmikesdotorg> found these unused words floating about:
    >I think a well designed page can be HTML only or Flash. Apparently,
    >everyone thinks I failed at making a well designed page. That's cool.
    >I don't think what I did was so over the top, consider what Flash can
    >do, but that's my opninion. Some posters just don't like Flash,
    >regardless of what content is displayed, though.
    >
    >After reading replies here and elsewhere I will probably wind up
    >toning a few things down. But it will more than likely stay based in
    >Flash, partly because it's a helluva lot easier to work flash than
    >code HTML. And, yes, I can code HTML so it's not like it's something I
    >can't do.

    In that case, you'll lose those that have flash turned off because of
    the 'gimmick' users.

    Those who really have something to say have an alternate page for
    non-flash and a pointed link to jump to.

    J. A. Mc. Guest

  8. #8

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:48:22 GMT, Todd Walker <twalker294hotmail.com>
    wrote:
    >... It's to see your photos. If the Flash gets in
    >the way of their purpose for being there, then it is a badly designed
    >site.
    And that's what I'm working on. Some type of compromise that will show
    my photos in an entertaining or impressive way without being too
    bersome. Apparently, I'm not there yet.