Professional Web Applications Themes

IIS, ASP.Net Development and Norton Internet Security 2005 - ASP.NET Security

Hello All, I have recently had the pleasure of installing Norton Internet Security 2005 and finding that I can no longer create or open a web-based application in Visual Studio .Net. The IDE just freezes. I tried fiddling with the configuration settings of the Norton Firewall but was not successful. I tried launching IIS from the Control Panel and it would not launch. I saw one article in Groups.Google from a previous post that the individual was eventually able to unravel the mystery but they did not list the specifics of what they did. Any ideas? Thanks & Regards, Todd...

  1. #1

    Default IIS, ASP.Net Development and Norton Internet Security 2005

    Hello All,

    I have recently had the pleasure of installing Norton Internet Security 2005
    and finding that I can no longer create or open a web-based application in
    Visual Studio .Net. The IDE just freezes. I tried fiddling with the
    configuration settings of the Norton Firewall but was not successful. I
    tried launching IIS from the Control Panel and it would not launch.

    I saw one article in Groups.Google from a previous post that the individual
    was eventually able to unravel the mystery but they did not list the
    specifics of what they did.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks & Regards,

    Todd

    TC Guest

  2. #2

    On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:39:36 -0500, "TC" <getmyemails2>
    wrote:
    >I have recently had the pleasure of installing Norton Internet Security 2005
    >and finding that I can no longer create or open a web-based application in
    >Visual Studio .Net. The IDE just freezes. I tried fiddling with the
    >configuration settings of the Norton Firewall but was not successful. I
    >tried launching IIS from the Control Panel and it would not launch.
    >
    >I saw one article in Groups.Google from a previous post that the individual
    >was eventually able to unravel the mystery but they did not list the
    >specifics of what they did.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    Just one. Don't post to so many irrelevant groups. Especially when
    it's a Norton's issue and not related to any of the groups you hit.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran Guest

  3. #3

    Hey Chief,

    Actually, it is related to ALL of the groups I hit if installing a 3rd
    product affects web development utilizing VS .Net.

    Also, any other developers that have a similar misfortune would probably be
    interested in the resolution as well... don't ya think ;-)

    TC

    "Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospamzina.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:39:36 -0500, "TC" <getmyemails2>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have recently had the pleasure of installing Norton Internet Security
    >>2005
    >>and finding that I can no longer create or open a web-based application in
    >>Visual Studio .Net. The IDE just freezes. I tried fiddling with the
    >>configuration settings of the Norton Firewall but was not successful. I
    >>tried launching IIS from the Control Panel and it would not launch.
    >>
    >>I saw one article in Groups.Google from a previous post that the
    >>individual
    >>was eventually able to unravel the mystery but they did not list the
    >>specifics of what they did.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?
    >
    > Just one. Don't post to so many irrelevant groups. Especially when
    > it's a Norton's issue and not related to any of the groups you hit.
    >
    > Jeff

    TC Guest

  4. #4

    On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 18:09:56 -0500, "TC" <getmyemails2>
    wrote:
    >Hey Chief,
    I'm not the head of a tribe...
    >Actually, it is related to ALL of the groups I hit if installing a 3rd
    >product affects web development utilizing VS .Net.
    IIS still works fine. It's not related to the dotnet framework.
    There are no IIS security settings you can change to fix this. And no
    amount of ASP.NET security changes will get you working. It's not an
    issue related to any of the groups you posted to.

    It *is* related to Norton's. Uninstall it. If everything works fine,
    it's Norton's that is the problem. And Norton has support.
    >Also, any other developers that have a similar misfortune would probably be
    >interested in the resolution as well... don't ya think ;-)
    Sure. But they wouldn't find the answer here either.

    Oh, and you missed the FrontPage Server Extensions groups. Which are
    closer to being on topic than the others.

    Have you tried Googling the archives?

    Jeff
    >"Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospamzina.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:39:36 -0500, "TC" <getmyemails2>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have recently had the pleasure of installing Norton Internet Security
    >>>2005
    >>>and finding that I can no longer create or open a web-based application in
    >>>Visual Studio .Net. The IDE just freezes. I tried fiddling with the
    >>>configuration settings of the Norton Firewall but was not successful. I
    >>>tried launching IIS from the Control Panel and it would not launch.
    >>>
    >>>I saw one article in Groups.Google from a previous post that the
    >>>individual
    >>>was eventually able to unravel the mystery but they did not list the
    >>>specifics of what they did.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Just one. Don't post to so many irrelevant groups. Especially when
    >> it's a Norton's issue and not related to any of the groups you hit.
    >>
    >> Jeff

    Jeff Cochran Guest

  5. #5

    Googling was the first thing that I did and I noticed the prior posting.
    Since they did not detail the steps undertaken w/ the Norton application, I
    posted this.

    You're right in that it is a Norton issue but since Norton's archives had 0
    hits, literally, it didn't help. I emailed their support group which will
    take "4-5 business days" for a response. However, it's not purely a Norton
    issue because the "Norton" side of things works fine. It's a compatability
    issue.

    I have already uninstalled the product as I have work to do. Nonetheless,
    it would be great to know the answer to this since others have wrestled with
    the issue as well if they are doing similar development work.

    For what it's worth "they" might actually find the answer "here" as the best
    info I have found so far was a previous posting at:

    microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.security

    and, of course, if I resolve the issue then the answer will most assuredly
    be "here".

    Regards,

    > On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 18:09:56 -0500, "TC" <getmyemails2>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hey Chief,
    >
    > I'm not the head of a tribe...
    >
    >>Actually, it is related to ALL of the groups I hit if installing a 3rd
    >>product affects web development utilizing VS .Net.
    >
    > IIS still works fine. It's not related to the dotnet framework.
    > There are no IIS security settings you can change to fix this. And no
    > amount of ASP.NET security changes will get you working. It's not an
    > issue related to any of the groups you posted to.
    >
    > It *is* related to Norton's. Uninstall it. If everything works fine,
    > it's Norton's that is the problem. And Norton has support.
    >
    >>Also, any other developers that have a similar misfortune would probably
    >>be
    >>interested in the resolution as well... don't ya think ;-)
    >
    > Sure. But they wouldn't find the answer here either.
    >
    > Oh, and you missed the FrontPage Server Extensions groups. Which are
    > closer to being on topic than the others.
    >
    > Have you tried Googling the archives?
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    >>"Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospamzina.com> wrote in message
    >>news:41b44139.543410302msnews.microsoft.com.. .

    >>> Just one. Don't post to so many irrelevant groups. Especially when
    >>> it's a Norton's issue and not related to any of the groups you hit.
    >>>
    >>> Jeff

    TC Guest

  6. #6

    What do *.aspnet.* and *.asp.* have to do with each other - besides the
    "asp"?

    Bob Lehmann

    "TC" <getmyemails2> wrote in message
    > Hey Chief,
    >
    > Actually, it is related to ALL of the groups I hit if installing a 3rd
    > product affects web development utilizing VS .Net.
    >
    > Also, any other developers that have a similar misfortune would probably
    be
    > interested in the resolution as well... don't ya think ;-)
    >
    > TC
    >

    > "Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospamzina.com> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:39:36 -0500, "TC" <getmyemails2>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >>I have recently had the pleasure of installing Norton Internet Security
    > >>2005
    > >>and finding that I can no longer create or open a web-based application
    in
    > >>Visual Studio .Net. The IDE just freezes. I tried fiddling with the
    > >>configuration settings of the Norton Firewall but was not successful. I
    > >>tried launching IIS from the Control Panel and it would not launch.
    > >>
    > >>I saw one article in Groups.Google from a previous post that the
    > >>individual
    > >>was eventually able to unravel the mystery but they did not list the
    > >>specifics of what they did.
    > >>
    > >>Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Just one. Don't post to so many irrelevant groups. Especially when
    > > it's a Norton's issue and not related to any of the groups you hit.
    > >
    > > Jeff

    Bob Lehmann Guest

  7. #7

    Hey Bob,

    I'm not sure what you're looking for in an answer but I'm sure that both
    interact with IIS from a developer's point of view or from a networking
    point of view.

    How does your question relate to my original question?

    "Bob Lehmann" <nospamdontbotherme.zzz> wrote in message
    > What do *.aspnet.* and *.asp.* have to do with each other - besides the
    > "asp"?
    >
    > Bob Lehmann
    >

    > "TC" <getmyemails2> wrote in message
    >> Hey Chief,
    >>
    >> Actually, it is related to ALL of the groups I hit if installing a 3rd
    >> product affects web development utilizing VS .Net.
    >>
    >> Also, any other developers that have a similar misfortune would probably
    > be
    >> interested in the resolution as well... don't ya think ;-)
    >>
    >> TC
    >>

    >> "Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospamzina.com> wrote in message

    > in

    >> > Just one. Don't post to so many irrelevant groups. Especially when
    >> > it's a Norton's issue and not related to any of the groups you hit.
    >> >
    >> > Jeff

    TC Guest

  8. #8

    My guess is that Norton script blocking functions are blocking VS.Net from
    doing it's job.
    Uncheck script blocking in Norton Antivirus w. comes with Internet security
    and the problem should be solved.

    Sven

    "TC" <getmyemails2> skrev i meddelandet
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I have recently had the pleasure of installing Norton Internet Security
    > 2005 and finding that I can no longer create or open a web-based
    > application in Visual Studio .Net. The IDE just freezes. I tried
    > fiddling with the configuration settings of the Norton Firewall but was
    > not successful. I tried launching IIS from the Control Panel and it would
    > not launch.
    >
    > I saw one article in Groups.Google from a previous post that the
    > individual was eventually able to unravel the mystery but they did not
    > list the specifics of what they did.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks & Regards,
    >
    > Todd

    Sven Pernils Guest

  9. #9

    Norton Internet security prevents a number of apps we have from working.
    Disable it and see what happens.

    "TC" <getmyemails2> wrote in message
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I have recently had the pleasure of installing Norton Internet Security
    > 2005 and finding that I can no longer create or open a web-based
    > application in Visual Studio .Net. The IDE just freezes. I tried
    > fiddling with the configuration settings of the Norton Firewall but was
    > not successful. I tried launching IIS from the Control Panel and it would
    > not launch.
    >
    > I saw one article in Groups.Google from a previous post that the
    > individual was eventually able to unravel the mystery but they did not
    > list the specifics of what they did.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks & Regards,
    >
    > Todd

    JerryK Guest

  10. #10

    Hey Folks,

    Thanks for the info.

    Unfortunately, the only thing that has worked so far is an uninstallation.

    I tried turning off script-blocking but that didn't work.

    I then systematically went through and disabled options and features one by
    one and that didn't work.

    Oh well.

    Time to wait for SP1 :-D

    If anyone else has ideas or experience to impart, by all means, please do.

    "JerryK" <jerryknospam.com> wrote in message
    > Norton Internet security prevents a number of apps we have from working.
    > Disable it and see what happens.
    >

    > "TC" <getmyemails2> wrote in message
    >> Hello All,
    >>
    >> I have recently had the pleasure of installing Norton Internet Security
    >> 2005 and finding that I can no longer create or open a web-based
    >> application in Visual Studio .Net. The IDE just freezes. I tried
    >> fiddling with the configuration settings of the Norton Firewall but was
    >> not successful. I tried launching IIS from the Control Panel and it
    >> would not launch.
    >>
    >> I saw one article in Groups.Google from a previous post that the
    >> individual was eventually able to unravel the mystery but they did not
    >> list the specifics of what they did.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks & Regards,
    >>
    >> Todd