Professional Web Applications Themes

Illustrator 10.0.3 crashes on startup - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

/Users/jonchris/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 10/Adobe Illustrator 10.0 Prefs Is where the pref's are stored. You can try starting Illustrator with the plug-ins disabled by holding down the left shift button while launching the Application. Jonf's suggetion of disabling Extensions is a good idea. Simply restart your system wait for the Chime then hold your left shift button down until you see something that says safe boot. Then try and open Illustrator; if it opens you have something causing a system conflict. If not continue troubleshooting using this Q-article <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2a39a.htm>...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Illustrator 10.0.3 crashes on startup

    /Users/jonchris/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 10/Adobe Illustrator 10.0 Prefs
    Is where the pref's are stored.

    You can try starting Illustrator with the plug-ins disabled by holding down the left shift button while launching the Application.

    Jonf's suggetion of disabling Extensions is a good idea. Simply restart your system wait for the Chime then hold your left shift button down until you see something that says safe boot. Then try and open Illustrator; if it opens you have something causing a system conflict. If not continue troubleshooting using this Q-article
    <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2a39a.htm>
    jchristo Guest

  2. #2

    I have been running Illustrator 10 on a G5 with OS 10.2.7 without any problems for the last 6 months until 7 days ago, now it won't start up. It sticks at the point of reading fonts when trying to launch Illustrator. Have re installed system and other software which cured Illustrator for a few hours but it is now back to the same problem. Does anyone have a clue as to how to fix this? Is upgrading the only answer?

    Eileen

    Glasgow, Scotland
    Eileen_Gray@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Eileen Gray you have a very famous name and I think she also came from Glascow, Scotland.

    Anyway perhaps trashing the AI preferences would do you better than reinstalling and or you have a corrupt font or font data base.

    Do a search for AdobeFnt05.lst and AdobeFnt06.lst trash any and all of these that are over 20 or 30 kb no matter where they are located. Also update to 10.2.8 at least. And even better upgrade to Adobe Creative Suites.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    BTW Are you related to Eileen Gray the industrial designer?
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Switch to Macromedia products...they work!
    Jay_Boughn@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Not from what I hear Jay!
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    sounds like this is the place to vent---g4 running ill 10.0.3 no problems--now it hangs while "read fonts"--not really helping here just contributing to the misery--anyone seen or fixed this type of problem?
    andrew_szurley@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    If it hangs when it gets to Read Fonts odds are pretty good there's a corrupt font, or a conflict in AI with some (probably non-Adobe) font. You can try turning off all your fonts (except necessary system fonts) and see if Illustrator starts and runs OK. If so, open your fonts again a few at a time until you find the culprit. This has worked for me in the past, but there may be other issues in your particular case. Good luck.
    jonf@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Andrew,

    Did you trash the Adobefnt.lst files as Wade suggested?
    Dee Holmes Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I trashed the preferences file, and restarted, it still quit.

    I went to the tech doc as suggested by Jon, thanks for the link. This doent said that if plugins are the problem, contact the maufacturer for updates, well...

    I was able to start with Plugin's disabled. As far as I know all the plugins came with the install. I have not installed any others, so Adobe is the manufacturer, and the ones who will provide plugin updates, correct?

    I will search the knowledge base for updates, does the trouble shooting stop here, once I get plugin updates? Perhaps they don't exsist. ie, Do you think this is the problem or should I check for extention conflicts?

    Thanks again for your help and patients!

    Cynthia
    Cynthia_Page@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I just did a search for "plugin updates adobe illustrator " here on this site, and got zero results.

    So can some one advise me on how to proceed...

    Currently I can start Illustrator with plugins disabled, however that limits the programs capabilities, do I move down the trouble shooting procedure to extention conflicts? Or is there some adobe plugin update that I have missed?

  12. #12

    Cynthia if you are in OS 9.2.2 or earlier two possibilities extensions or control panel conflict or a corruption the the system's prefernce folder dragging those folders to the desktop and restarting and loading the the plugin and if it works yes you will have to trouble shoot those folders.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    I see you are 10.3.2 that is a very different story it could be a corrupt preference folder in the users/username/library/ the way to find out is put it on the desktop restart trash AI preferences and then try launching AI.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Yes, trashing the "Adobe Online" Plug-in should work if the problem is happening on starting Illustrator while the online activity box is on the screen. It did for me (twice).
    Jay_Casmirri@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Holy Cow! Trashed the Plug-in Cache and the Adobe Online Prefs doent, and now my Illustrator 10 finally opens on my G4 (Dual 450Mhz) running Panther 10.3.3. It was the same thing, worked for a few days, then bam! didn't want to work anymore.

    Thanks for the help!!!

    Juan
    juan_cano@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Hey Juan, how did you trash the plugin cache?

  17. #17

    Do both.

    And restart for the fun.
    Dee Holmes Guest

  18. #18

    I need to reserect this topic. I have only just been able to sit down and work on this Illustrator problem.

    OK I trashed the preferences and the plugins, Illustrator still tries to update plug in's an hopelessly crashes, spinning beach ball. If I hold the shift key, it does start up. I get two warnings...

    startup_CMKY

    Startup_RGB

    contain elements that are mamaged by plugins that are currently unavailable...etc.

    Dropshadow in both cases.

    So I assume that when I start up with plugins disabled, I am missing functionality in Illustrator 10.

    What do I do to gain this functionality back? Everytime I start up am I suppose to disable pugins.

    I don't get it . What do I do to get a fully functional Illustrator 10 program working on my mac OS 10.3.2.

    Thanks,

  19. #19

    Cynthia the pluggins cache and the AI preferences should be in the same preferences folder. But you are on system X so I'm not exactly sure where they are.

    Are you sure you trashed the Adobe Online pluggin from the Illustrator folder Extentions?
    Dee Holmes Guest

  20. #20

    Dee, Thanks for your quick response. I trashed the online plugin (folder?) icon that was is user/library/preferences/adobeillustrator/ I dinot trash anything from extentions, as far as I know.

    What functionality are we trashing, when we trash plugins????

    Cynthia
    Cynthia_Page@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast