Professional Web Applications Themes

ILLUSTRATOR 10 CRASHES!!!!!!!!!!! - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

I print birth announcements and other personalized stationery products. All my own designs, so I'm always in a file that is a design with some graphics, nothing too intense, rarely any special effects. It always does it when I'm setting up the wording. Sometimes copying and pasting, sometimes just kerning letters. Right when it happens, the HD starts running and I get the spinning color wheel for about 8-10 seconds, it closes Illustrator, I get a little alert box letting me know it unexpectedly quit. That's it. I've "submitted report" to apple almost everytime and never gotten any response to ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: ILLUSTRATOR 10 CRASHES!!!!!!!!!!!

    I print birth announcements and other personalized stationery products. All my own designs, so I'm always in a file that is a design with some graphics, nothing too intense, rarely any special effects. It always does it when I'm setting up the wording. Sometimes copying and pasting, sometimes just kerning letters. Right when it happens, the HD starts running and I get the spinning color wheel for about 8-10 seconds, it closes Illustrator, I get a little alert box letting me know it unexpectedly quit. That's it. I've "submitted report" to apple almost everytime and never gotten any response to that. All different fonts, I've randomly logged which fonts I was currently using and from what I can tell, they are all ones that I bought online. You could simply say, well, DUH, remove them and see if it still happens. Unfortunately it's not that easy. They are all the best and most commonly used fonts for my announcements. I had never seen them anywhere else.

    It hasn't happened as much, but it has happened twice since I trashed my prefs.
    Thoughts?
    Amy_Ferrante@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    I would say it was a corrupt, font, Norton Anti Virus, Spell Catcher ( they have an update that fixes the problem), bad color or monitor profile, repair permissions if you look at the recent threads you will find that just about everyone found the reason that caused something like this to happen and wee all known issue with software that needs to updated. You can try also to change the Time Zone and then Change it back.

    And please don't use all Caps.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    am a mac consultant and have been having this kind of problem a lot. it shows up mostly in G5s (almost exclusively) and has no pattern. I have asked all my users to log what they were doing at the time, it does not seem to be connected to specifc fonts (font crashes do occur but are easily diagnosed and fixed, this is not. the diffarence is whether or not it can be re-produced reliably) or specific graphics/graphic proceses.

    I have seen it mostly with illustrator CS, this is in fact the first i have hear on 10.
    Make certain you have run all the apple security updates, the most recent one seems to fix a whole host of issues especially save times.

    other than that, try some of the other suggestions. the easiet would be the time zone. Please keep track f what you try and what the result is. some times its a combination, ie clearing the prefs AND changing the timezone.

    keep us posted and good luck.

    josh
    Joshua_Bierman@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I have exactly the same problem. As soon as I save an .eps Illustrator doent, I crash over 75% of time. I have Norton, I will unistall that. I trashed my Illustrator preferences, no difference.

    Today, The software crashed over 50 times... I need to work with that, but I'm losing patience.

    I'll try to unistall Norton, I'll see, and give news!
    Melanie_Allard@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    If you have Spell Catcher there is a fix and it has been posted.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    My money is on a bad font. Check for this by turning them ALL off, and launching Illustrator. If everything is fine and dandy, add the fonts back a few at a time until you hit paydirt.
    Gary_Newman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I'm not an expert with this as I have 10 working on version 10.3.2
    I have also only recently gone to Panther OS and found font book to cause countless problems. I bought Suitcase immediately and it has sorted many font problems and
    informs me of duplicates etc.

    I'm not saying this is a solution as I've not had this problem exactly, but fonts are a frequent problem for conflicts.

    Good luck and I hope its fixed soon i know the frustration.
    Ian_B@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Ian

    That is good of you to post this info I am sure everyone who has a problem can investigate to see if it applies to them as well.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I really appreciate all the advise! I will keep trying things one at a time and will definitely let everybody know if it gets fixed.

    The frequency of the crashing has significantly decreased since trashing the prefs folder. I am now going to change the time zone and see how things go.

    Thanks!
    Amy
    Amy_Ferrante@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Well, if it makes you feel any better, Illustrator 11.0 crashes all the time too. ;) While I can't say it crashes 50 times a day for me, it does crash at least once every time I use it.

    Every now and then, it even crashes Panther, leaving me with that gray screen telling me, in multiple languages, that I need to hold down my power button and restart. I didn't think OS X apps were allowed to do that... (?)

    I haven't tried changing the Time Zone (and can't figure how that could possibly be related anyway), but I have re-built my preferences, verified all of my fonts, and rebuilt my permissions. I've even booted from the Panther CD and verified my hard drives. Doesn't fix anything. (Oh, and I'm not running Norton, but I do have Virex, a Kensington mouse, and Stuffit 8.0. Maybe they're somehow partners in crime?)

    I quite often have other apps running when this happens, such as FontLab, Photoshop, Safari, and Entourage, but I haven't been able to determine if any of them are related to the Illustrator crashes.
    S_Cavanaugh@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Amy and whoever else is having crashing problems:

    My crashing problems have been resolved, thanks to Adam. Check out this thread <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13.2ccf7e00/111> and you should be able to contact him by email.

    Linda
    LRK@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    If Adam can't fix it and you do not use Spell Catcher which has an update that fixes their conflict, Spell Catcher is a fine product, then I think you have corrupt Font.

    In spite the fact that you can't see how the time zone can effect the operation of an application it can anyway and i can tell you from experience that that is so.

    BTW when you change the Time Zone and then you Change it back of course you also trash your AI preferences before relaunching AI CS. I don't think everyone does that, though they should.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    I have had problems following setting Adobe Online to update automatically. When I tried to open Illustrator I got a window saying'downloading file 2 of 2, AWEBBFiles4.awe' this could not be cancelled then the program crashed. I now have reset Online to never update and things seems fine.
    iMac OS 10.3.2, Illustrator 10.0.3.
    Timothy_Lole@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Tim that is a known problem.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Sounds like a font problem, I crashed when editing type all the time and came to find out it was a font problem. What font manager are you using.

    Also

    How much RAM do you have? I used to crash all the time as well and upgraded RAM and no crashes since (AI is a RAM hog).

    Also upgraded to Suitcase X1 (great font management tool) and it detected a number of corrupt fonts in my system.

    P.S. with OSX you no linger have to re-allocate memory. It does it for you when needed.
    Luis_Benitez@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    What about crashing with gradients? As opposed to fonts?
    Tiffany_Shearer@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Hi Amy,

    Not that it may help you any, but I have many Illustrator 10.0.3 crashes too! I don't have a G5 system or the Apple OS 10.3.2 version either.

    I am running with a G4 500Mhz and OS 10.2.8 version and get way too many crashes with Illustrator 10.0.3 too. It drives me just as crazy. Most of mine seem to happen when I am doing something with text. Like when I go to copy a line of text to paste somewhere else in the doent.

    Any help folks? Adobe?

    Thanks,
    Kevin
    Kevin_Prutzman@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Test for a corrupt font.
    Gary_Newman@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Kevin, I upgraded to 11, but re-installed 10 because it actually crashes less often. 11 also has too many unnecessary interface changes. Like not letting you Save As older EPS formats (you have to go to "Export," where the default is BMP, change it to EPS, select the version, etc.). 11 also mysteriously (unpredictably, yet inevitably) slows to a crawl when entering text -- I'm talking, like, 2 second delays from keyboard input to seeing it on screen -- requiring you to quit, re-launch and re-open the doent. There's just an overall sense of never really knowing what it's going to do next. It produces a stress level like driving on an icy road. I'm not kidding! I don't like having to press Cmd-S between every step.

    Man, sometimes I wish Adobe would just create an OSX version of Illustrator 6.0...

    PS: No corrupt fonts, drives are big and fast (although my processor is only a G4 500), 1GB of RAM, permissions repaired, disks verified, caches cleared, yatta yatta, and the unexpected crashes still occur. Grrr...
    S_Cavanaugh@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Well. I'm a bit late to this whole thread and I'm hoping that since the thread began, some people have found out what's wrong.

    I wont take a ton of space to complain, but I'll just say that this is completely crazy.
    It stinks that illustrator does not work correctly and that Font book and font management is such a nightmare.

    BTW, Don't use Font book. Yet. the new Suitcase is very nice.

    Anyway,
    I'am using AI 10.0.3 on a Dual 1.25 G4 with 1GB of ram. Using Suitca1.
    Recently upgraded to Panther and since then have been experience this random illustrator crash frequently. Usually when using the Tab Ruler but that could be a coincidence. In fact, Panther seems to create all kinds of new problems. Mail works great though ;-)

    So... The illustrator problem... I have determined the problem not to be the result of a bad font though I can see how that would be possible. Going to toss the prefs, but it seems that others have not found that to be successful.

    Any additional info would be great...
    Dom_Moreci@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast