Professional Web Applications Themes

Illustrator 10-Delay when Returnting from other Apps... - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

I have seen that others are running into the problem of system delays of up to 2min when returning to Illy from other apps. Suggestions of finding+trashing the Adobefnt.lst files has helped slightly-but I'm still not satisfied because the delay continues to occur(even if it is shorter in length). Recently a very experienced prepress coder mentioned that this could be a UNIX issue-that the sucurities and protocols that are built into the current OS (10.2.8 or 10.3). He didn't offer a solution other than making sure that the carbon and Security upgrades are current, and consistent on the network. Any ...

  1. #1

    Default Illustrator 10-Delay when Returnting from other Apps...

    I have seen that others are running into the problem of system delays of up to 2min when returning to Illy from other apps. Suggestions of finding+trashing the Adobefnt.lst files has helped slightly-but I'm still not satisfied because the delay continues to occur(even if it is shorter in length).

    Recently a very experienced prepress coder mentioned that this could be a UNIX issue-that the sucurities and protocols that are built into the current OS (10.2.8 or 10.3). He didn't offer a solution other than making sure that the carbon and Security upgrades are current, and consistent on the network.

    Any thoughts?

    Best Regards,
    BWalton
    Bryan_Walton@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Hmmm...than I don't think he's experienced, I would tell you that! (First toptic)

    Second topic...he knows nothing about Unix and is going to learn really quickly. (IE, he's not letting on that he doesn't have a clue)

    Not that I do, but what postscript app are you running? Because I'm having a hell of a time with Adobe in Classic.
    Dee Guest

  3. #3

    1.(First Topic)-Yes, it's possible that his experience level may be innadequate-and that he's not as sharp as he looks.

    2.(UNIX)-Point made.

    3. I'm actually not using a PS app on the LAN(just using standard PPDs to write PS files). This friend of mine uses Rampage for his PS workflow-but he is an external resource/vendor, and unrelated to the item I'm addressing.

    4. So, what do you think about this issue? Is it the Adobefnt.lst?, a OS problem?, corrupt fonts?, all of the above? Any helpful ideas would be great.

    Thanks!
    Bryan_Walton@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    The sluggishness may be due to Illustrator's handling of what is on the Clipboard. Make sure nothing is copied to the Clipboard, and turn off all "Copy As" options in Preferences>File Handling & Clipboard. You may also want to make sure that the Scratch Disks Illustrator is using are not pointing to a network drive.

    If nothing else get a LOT more RAM (at least 1GIG)
    Steve_McGuire@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks for the response Steve. I too had the same thought: the clipboard and scratch discs may be the source of the problem. As a result, in the Preferences>File+Clipboard>Clipboard area I have left both of the options (PDF, AI) uncheck. It has helped a little bit-that's good!, but do you know of any other areas in Illust to manage the clipboard? This is the only area that I have adjusted at this point, and your message gave me the impression there may be other locations.

    After giving it some more thought I'm beginning to think this may be a font management issue because the delay is especially long when moving from Suitcase 10.2.2 back into Illustrator (regardless if additional fonts have been activated or deactivated).

    I've plenty of RAM-1.25Gb, and the scratch disc is local (the only HD in the box).

    Any additional thoughts would be greatly appreciated-have a swell day!

    Bryan Walton
    Bryan_Walton@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Font activation from Font Agent Pro does slow things down a bit for me (not a lot however), especially after activating a font and switching back to Illustrator, since it has to update its font list. Do you have a lot of fonts opened at once? Maybe reduce the number of active fonts?
    Steve_McGuire@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Steve,

    Again, thank you for responding. I do have a couple hundred active fonts (probably about 35 suitcases). I'm beginning to thing that this may be the cause, and will look more into how the fonts are organized and where they're located.

    Thanks Again!
    Bryan_Walton@adobeforums.com Guest