Professional Web Applications Themes

illustrator 10: How to output at a lower dpi resolution - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I recently purchased a HP laserjet 2550 printer. The printer has a default setting of 600 dpi resolution, which I cannot change. This is my dilemma: I need to be able to print halftones at a maximum of 55 dpi. I've looked and tried almost everything possible to get this, but I've been unsuccessful. I went to the doent setup> output resolution...nothing. Effect> Doent raster effects setting...nothing. When I change the separation setup area, the lowest output resolution I can get is 53lpi/150dpi, but it still looks like it's printing at 600dpi. Is there anyway I can print at 55dpi ...

  1. #1

    Default illustrator 10: How to output at a lower dpi resolution

    I recently purchased a HP laserjet 2550 printer. The printer has a default setting of 600 dpi resolution, which I cannot change. This is my dilemma: I need to be able to print halftones at a maximum of 55 dpi. I've looked and tried almost everything possible to get this, but I've been unsuccessful. I went to the doent setup> output resolution...nothing. Effect> Doent raster effects setting...nothing. When I change the separation setup area, the lowest output resolution I can get is 53lpi/150dpi, but it still looks like it's printing at 600dpi.

    Is there anyway I can print at 55dpi without messing around with the printer's properities. Can Adobe Graphic Server 2.0 help me achieve the desired dpi output?

    TIA!
    Elgin_Lee@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Elgin,

    Are you sure you are not confusing lpi and dpi? The printer will always
    print at 600 dpi as that is a function of the print engine within the
    printer (some desktop lasers do allow selection of 300/600 or 600/1200), and
    printing a halftone at 53dpi most certainly wouldn't be able to reproduce
    more than 1 tone of grey! That is given by the formula:

    (dpi/lpi)^2 = No. of available tones.

    Even at 53lpi/600dpi you would only achieve 129 tones of grey.

    Support for different lpi is normally only available when printing to a
    PostScript printer.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Elgin:

    What exactly are you trying to do?

    Make film positives for silkscreen printing?

    Are you doing the printing yourself or is someone else?

    If someone else, why can't they produce their own film?
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Illustrator 10: Filter/Other/Make Riders. You will have to be able to over-ride the printer's default screen in the driver dialogue. Search Adobe's Knowledge Base <http://www.adobe.com/support/main.html> for "rider" to get the details.

    Don't forget to save the rider you make in your plugins folder.
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    >>You will have to be able to over-ride the printer's default screen in the
    driver dialogue.<<

    BUT only when printing to a PostScript device.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    " Are you sure you are not confusing lpi and dpi? The printer will always
    print at 600 dpi as that is a function of the print engine within the
    printer (some desktop lasers do allow selection of 300/600 or 600/1200), and
    printing a halftone at 53dpi most certainly wouldn't be able to reproduce
    more than 1 tone of grey! "

    1 tone is grey is what all I am looking for. In this industry, we either print solid black or 1 tone of halftone grey. It is DPI I am looking to adjust. Like I stated in my initial post, maximum 55 DPI, so this means at times I may have to reduce it down to 40 DPI.

    You also stated that the printer will always print at 600 dpi, but is there anyway I can get it to print at whatever resolution I choose?

    I've seriously looked for this answer for the past wk now well no luck in sight.

    " BUT only when printing to a PostScript device. "

    I am printing to a postscript device, but I can't seem to find the Filter/Other/Make Riders section in illustrator 10.

    I have a Brothers 1440 laser printer and at least with that one, it allowed to me to change the printer resolution in the printer properties section.

    Adobe Graphics Server? This is what Adobe states:

    Image size and resolution handling

    • Graphics Server provides all the major functionality of the Photoshop Image Size dialog box, including the ability to change image resolution.
    Elgin_Lee@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Elgin:

    How about setting the doent raster effect settings to your desired resolution, then selecting everything and Effect>Rasterize, shouldn't that have the desired effect? The Effect>Rasterize function sounds like it's just what you need.

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  8. #8

    Bert:

    No I've tried that as well...still no luck. This problem isn't changing lpi or ppi, but rather the dpi. Have you tried out Adobe Graphics Server? I tried downloading the trial evaluation but the stupid thing asks for the serial number. Now how is it suppose to be a free eval when you need to purchase it for the serial number? haha

    Anymore suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks Bert!
    Elgin_Lee@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Elgin,
     [/ref]
    Image Size dialog box, including the ability to change image resolution.<<

    Image resolution refers to image ppi NOT printer DPI - that's a function of
    the printer not an of an image you feed it with.

    What you may be able to do it convert your image to a 1-bit bitmap.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Ok according to HP tech support, they said no matter what, my laserjet will always output 600dpi. Even if the PPD was adjusted to 150dpi, it will come out as 600.

    Is there any way to change the halftones on screen before sending it to the printer? Just like if I were to scanned a picture at 100dpi so that when I print it at 600dpi, it'll still look pixelated.
    Elgin_Lee@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Elgin:

    That's what would happen if you followed my earlier tip.

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  12. #12

    I still think you are probably wanting to reduce the halftone lines per inch rather than the dots per inch.

    The lines per inch would give you the number of rows of halftone dots per inch. The dots per inch, in contrast, would control the granularity of the printer dots that make up each of those halftone dots. (I know it is confusing since there are two kinds of dots, one of which is being referred to as lines.)

    So if lines per inch is lower, you get fewer and larger halftone dots more widely spaced. If dots per inch is lower, you get jaggier looking individual dots, and if the dots per inch is higher, you get smoother rounder looking individual dots, but dpi doesn't change how widely spaced the halftone dots are. (It does put a limit on the number of shades of gray. You can't make a tiny halftone dot with a big fat pixel, so with a high lpi and a low dpi, the low levels of gray will drop out and the high ones will run together into black. But you can make one big halftone dot with lots of little printer dots, so the dpi can be very high and still get a low lpi.)

    The HP Laserjet 2550 is not a true Postscript printer, but it does have "HP postscript level 3 emulation." I do not know whether or not HP's emulation honors riders.

    The Make Riders plugin is not installed in the Plug-ins folder by default. You need to move it there. Go to the Utilities/Riders folder inside your Illustrator application folder, and follow the instructions in the Read Me file there.
    Teri Guest

  13. #13

    My gawd, Teri. No wonder everyone loves you.
    John Guest

  14. #14

    Teri:

    " If dots per inch is lower, you get jaggier looking individual dots, and if the dots per inch is higher, you get smoother rounder looking individual dots "

    Although I may not know of a way to output at a lower dpi resolution, I do know that it will not output a jaggier looking dot. Going from a 600dpi halftone to a 55dpi will give you a more pixelated effect with a smooth circle. Unless you were change the properties of that dot, which you would not be able to do without rasterizing the entire image.

    Again it is dpi that I am looking to change, not lpi or ppi.

    HP tech advised that I should install an older laserjet model driver so it would allow me to change the output resolution setting. Problem with doing that is that I would loose full potential of my printer.

    I think it is safe to say that illustrator does not offer a mode or setting which will allow me to mimic the appearance of 55dpi on screen before I send it to my printer. Like I stated before, no matter what settings I put in my PPD, the printer will always output 600x600dpi.

    If there is a program that allows me to do so, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you all for your time!
    Elgin_Lee@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    I think it is safe to say that illustrator does not offer a mode or setting
    which will allow me to mimic the appearance of 55dpi on screen before
    I send it to my printer.

    No, you are wrong.

    Here's an image of 2 different raster effect settings and Effect>Rasterize applied. The left circle is 150 dpi, the right is 10 dpi for contrast. Prints out EXACTLY like this, too.

    <http://www.itchybug.com/10dpi.jpg>

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  16. #16

    By the way, I am almost completely absolutely totally convinced (as are all others contributing to this thread, I suspect) that you're after lines-per-inch, not dots-per-inch. You are expecting DOTS to show up, right? Then you need lines-per-inch, I know it's counter-intuitive, but that's the way it is.
    Bert Guest

  17. #17

    Referring to Bert's "lines per inch" - exactly right.

    In the days "before computers" when I was using an Agfa Repromaster Bromide Camera, we would have to put a clear acetate film with screen dots over the photo to be screened before we made a screened bromide. The screen we used was either 65lpi, 85lpi or 110lpi (the finest). Newspapers and photocopiers preferred 65lpi as the screen dot was co enough when the plate was made.*

    You could not print any photos at that time unless they were screened in this way.

    The actual print quality was determined by the end printing process, just like our printers now. The screen dot is a completely different issue to the output dpi for quality.

    FYI *In the seventies and early eighties, I set type on a Compugraphic typsetter which output to a bromide paper, cut and pasted the text and laid the page out with photos I screened in the Repromaster bromide camera.
    Compared to those days, I absolutely love using the Adobe Suite.
    I remember the bromide camera cost around $9500 to $12500 AUD to purchase in 1988!
    Karen_C@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Note that Bert's illustration in post #15 is 13 lines per inch output at 72 dots per inch.
    Teri Guest

  19. #19

    Actually, Teri, it was just a bunch of balls lined up roughly to emulate a halftone pattern, but sure, 13 lpi sounds good to me, and 72 dpi because I saved for web.
    Bert Guest

  20. #20

    Understand Elgin, that halftone dots are comprised of clusters of printer dots.

    So a 600 dpi printer will allow for a halftone cell of about 11x11 printer dots for each halftone dot. (ergo less than 256 VOT).

    Whether or not you can coax a conventional halftone screen out of a machine that generates FM screening is the issue.

    You might consider rasterizing in Photoshop 600 ppi, split the channels, then use Image>mode>bitmap set to halftone screen/600 ppi/53 lpi and print each plate separately.

    You never answered the questions in post #2.
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast