Professional Web Applications Themes

Illustrator 10 -- Text height question - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Prof.Teri Thank you very much! You enlightened me. Well, I have think of a question that peoples talking about align some link image in clipping mask. I have get a solution that align(or distribute) in that case: 1.select a clipping mask of link image 2.open Appearance palette, hold on the thumbnail and drag to style palette to set up a new style, i named it as "turn off". 3.add a 3D rotate effect and a outline object effect with select masked image, set all x,y,z axis to 0 in 3D Rotate Option dialog box, and arrange the order of items ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Illustrator 10 -- Text height question

    Prof.Teri

    Thank you very much! You enlightened me.
    Well, I have think of a question that peoples talking about align some link image in clipping mask.
    I have get a solution that align(or distribute) in that case:

    1.select a clipping mask of link image

    2.open Appearance palette, hold on the thumbnail and drag to style palette to set up a new style, i named it as "turn off".

    3.add a 3D rotate effect and a outline object effect with select masked image, set all x,y,z axis to 0 in 3D Rotate Option dialog box, and arrange the order of items in the appearance, that is :
    Contents
    Outline Object
    3D Rotate
    Default Transparency

    4.repeat as 2 to set up another new style, i named it as "turn on"

    5.fill any color in the masked link object with color palette.

    6.select the Use Preview Bounds option from Align palette menus (or general Preference).
    now, i can align(or distribute) clipping mask of link image to any objects by the edges of clipping path(not edges of image)

    7. If i want cancel the additional appearance from clipping mask of link image, i can click the "turn off" style.

    Sorry, my English is too poor to the words fail to express the meaning.

    guan
    guan_zi@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    That's quite interesting, Guan. In case you haven't already noticed it, the extra step of including an instance of the 3D-Effect is not necessary at all to get this workaround to work. So, just to repeat the basic idea:

    - Place any raster image, draw a rectangle above it, select both and create a clipping mask

    - While the resulting group is still selected, go to the Graphic Style Palette, create a new graphic style and call it "Show_Visible_Part_of_Mask" or "Default_Appearance" for example

    - Select the group that contains the masked raster image, then apply the Outline Object effect (Effect > Path > Outline Object)

    - In the Appearance Palette drag the Outline Object row below the Contents row (the visibility of the raster image will now be turned off)

    - Create a new graphic style out of this appearance set and call it "Align_Mode" for example

    Now draw any shape, select it plus the Clipping Mask object (that has the style "Align_Mode" applied to it), then click any of the Align buttons in the Align Palette. See that the aligning operation recognized the visible part of the clipping mask object, not its content (contrary to AI's default behaviour that recognizes the boundaries of the whole masked object).

    Now, to turn on the visibility of the masked object, just apply the "Default Appearance" graphic style you've created in step 2.

    When dealing with masked vector shapes, one could go a similar route by including an instance of the Rasterize Effect followed by the Outline Object effect, but that's definitely such an unefficient way that it is not worth to describe it more detailed here.

    Nevertheless, your idea is a good one, Guan.

    But all in all another example for the "wonderful" workarounds you're often forced to go in Illustrator in order to get very basic functionality.
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the response, kurt.
    I said was the case that a link image be masked, not a embed image. and i want to preserve links all through. it seems that does not work without 3d rotate effect in that case. but now i think the step of creating a Default_Style is not necessary, alterably i can click the Clear Appearance button in the appearance palette after i align the masked image to other objects by use Align_Mode style you said.
    Thank you!
    guan_zi@adobeforums.com Guest