Professional Web Applications Themes

Illustrator and InDesign question - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Can anyone explain what the advantage of using InDesign would be, because it seems to me that you can just lay out a page in Illustrator how you want it and then print from there. I'm trying to decide if I should get the whole creative suite. (I have Illustrator and Photoshop). Thanks!...

  1. #1

    Default Illustrator and InDesign question

    BradBro@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Illustrator and InDesign question

    Depends whether you do a lot of larger doents.
    I like creating graphics or illustrations or logos in Illustrator.
    Then use Indesign to create the final doent and layout the pages. It's excellent for multipage doents. (You can only do single page doents in Illustrator unless you use layers.)

    Also, I find the print options work more easily for me in Indesign.

    Normally you place the native Illustrator AI or Photoshop PSD (you can place all kinds of files, but native is good when you are updating your original drawing at times and you can keep all the layers.) If you create certain graphics or shapes in Illustrator you can also copy and paste them direct into Indesign. Copy and paste is not recommended for photos etc.

    I have the Premium Suite. I don't use everything, but I'm still glad I have it. (I might get time to spend time learning Go Live one day.) The Premium comes with the professional version of Acrobat as well.
    Karen_C@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I agree with everything Karen said. I'll add this. I've been using Illustrator all along and just discovered some of the benefits of Indesign- to the point where I've almost kicked myself for not using it a long time ago.

    Create your graphics in Ill. Then go to Indesign to create the layout and text. You just have some more flexibility with Indesign in laying out the page. Some really basic things are no longer frustrating as might be in Ill (for text that is).

    Then you have the multiple page aspect. No multipage ability in Ill. Indesign gives you plenty of flexibility with page counts and printing. This may be one of the biggest differences- to me anyway.

    And.. as you are already used to using Ill and Photoshop, learning Indesign really is no great stretch. At least for basic page layouts and overall functionality.

    It is worth it.
    Nick
    NickSims Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for the info! How does working with text differ in InDesign?
    BradBro@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I just found using the text boxes a little more user friendly and intuitive. There are some more paragraph formatting options. Making text boxes into odd shapes goes fairly smoothly, considering my learning curve of course!

    I also found that when I've created a text box and then need to reshape, resize, or make plenty of changes to the formatting within this box, it just seems to work more smoothly than when I've tried to do the same thing in Illustrator.

    I can also bring in text from Word a little more easily and without so many quirks and the need to retype or reformat.

    It isn't that Illustrator can't do plenty of text related things. It is just that what I've been doing within Illustrator just seems to work more smoothly and glitch-free within InDesign (v2.0.2).

    One more thing. When I've got only a single page, I guess it could be a toss up depending on what I'm doing, where the file is going and who will use it. But if it is more than one page, I don't even think twice. InDesign.

    Nick
    NickSims Guest

  6. #6

    Brad,

    Having started a job at a Newspaper, I can tell you that there are many benefits to InDesign's layout ability over Illustrator. Easily set up gutters, or multiple columned text boxes. Flowing text over multiple text boxes and pages, and ease of use of text wrapping around graphics. Using masterpages to re-utilizies commonly used layouts. And more text options then you can shake a stick at. You can easily use the same stye sheets in Word and InDesign, so a simple font change is actually as simple as updating your paragraph or text style sheets on the InDesign end. Also, having placed graphics from Illustrator, you can easily update just the graphic in Illi, then have it update on your final layout. There is also a nice preview mode that you can use to show you what is going to print out by masking off the paste board from the artboard. Finally, Indesign has the ability to work with tables, so you dont have to set up fake tabs and colored boxes to get true tables, like in Illustrator.

    Jon
    Jonathan_McClintic@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Sounds like it might be worth it to get the whole suite. The only thing that bugs me is the overlap with Photoshop in the Video Collection, I'd end up with two copies of Photoshop.
    BradBro@adobeforums.com Guest