Professional Web Applications Themes

illustrator and photoshop colors don't match - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I am using Illustrator9 and photoshop7 CM on Cmyk workflow. exact same color in photoshop does not look even close with the same color in Illustator. and when I put them in IDcs photoshop looks good but Illustrator looks even more different? In Design same settings. Help job needs to go to press asap....

  1. #1

    Default illustrator and photoshop colors don't match

    tony_walton@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: illustrator and photoshop colors don't match

    Tony, have you read the topic Placing Image in Illustrator seem darker, latest post (right now Mar 30), about a possible mismatch in colour management?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Yes I saw those but the Illustrator image is placed in IDCS
    all the profiles are the same the actual cmyk numbers are the
    same but it is a different color actually lighter tone. I havent had this kind of problem in years of using Adobe products. Lots of press print work. I must be missing something.
    tony_walton@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Tony,

    Have you saved your colour settings to a .CSF file and Loaded that same file
    in to all 3 applications? That's what you need to do to get consistent
    colour across the 3 apps.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I don't understand how they can print differently when you are using the exact same CMYK numbers. For example, I setup an InDesign file with three blue boxes.

    1) Illustrator File placed in InDesign
    2) Photoshop File placed in InDesign
    3) Box created in InDesign itself

    I export to CMYK PDF and print it out on a CMYK printer. The Illustrator and Indesign colors match, but the Photoshop blue looks purple.

    Can you give a little more info on how to save colour settings to a .CSF file? Thanks.
    Narayan_Raum@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I have Illustrator CMYK color (0, 2,20,2), neeed to use the same CMYK color in InDesign file, when i print the artwork color don't really match. Illustrator color is visibly lighter than ID color. Any ideas what I should do?
    Anna_Genova@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Anna,

    What versions of Illustrator and ID?

    Assuming Illustrator 9 or later and ID2.0 or later, from Illustrator's
    Edit>Colour Settings d/box SAVE your colour settings to a colour settings
    file (.CSF)

    From ID's Edit>Colour Settings d/box LOAD the CSF file you just saved. You
    can now be sure both applications are using the same colour settings.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I have Illustrator 10, InDesign 2 .
    I did what you suggested but the color was still different when I printed it. The Illustrator is lighter then InDesign.
    Anna_Genova@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    You know, believe it or not, this does not work. At least not for me. Here's my scenario, hopefully one of you Gurus can help me out.

    I opened up 3 applications on my Macintosh OS 10.3 Panther. Applications are Indesign CS, Illustrator CS, Photoshop CS.

    I created a .CSF file from Illustrator using the settings: US Prepress Defaults, no Advanced.
    I saved this file, and loaded it into InDesign CS and Photoshop CS.

    Next I created a square PSD file in Photoshop with the following values: C10 M15 Y60 B5
    Then I created the same shape in Illustrator EPS format with same values.
    Then I created a new InDesign file, and placed these two files in the doent. Then in InDesign, I created a third square with the same values. I lined them all up against eachother, and exported a PDF using the PDF X-3 Preset.

    Shipped the PDF over to a windows machine and printed to a CMYK printer from Acrobat.
    The Illustrator EPS and the InDesign Squares match up, but the Photoshop file is much lighter.

    What do you suggest?
    Narayan_Raum@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Narayan,

    Following your workflow, (but using my own .CSF - AdobeRGB(1998), Euroscale
    Coated V2, Gray Gamma 2.2, d/g 20%, Relative Colormetric and ACE) the only
    time I can detect any difference is if opening the PDF as an RGB doent in
    Photoshop - then I do see/measure slightly lighter colour from the
    Photoshop-originated area, but the ID and Illustrator created swatches are
    identical (which is what Anna was asking about)

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I was having this same problem. The cmyk values look completely different from photoshop to illustrator. I am working on CS5. If you go to edit > color settings in each program and then open Adobe Bridge it will automatically synch the color settings on everything.
    Faith Wyatt is offline Junior Member
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1

  12. #12

    You have to close all CS apps, then open the Bridge and sincronize the color management.
    alex Guest