Professional Web Applications Themes

Illustrator Art Shows Tx Prints W White Box - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi All, I have an AI CS file saved as EPS (don't like big file sizes of native AI, yes shut off pdf compatibility still dont like it) that I imported into ID CS. When I import the EPS file (a filled circle with art inside) and place it over a TIFF my ID screen shows the art as intended, circle art with TIFF art underneath, clipping path intact. When I print to PDF or PS printer, the box is filled white??? Kinda like a BMap EPS file from PS missing its clipping path. The file does use a radial ...

  1. #1

    Default Illustrator Art Shows Tx Prints W White Box

    Hi All, I have an AI CS file saved as EPS (don't like big file sizes of native AI, yes shut off pdf compatibility still dont like it) that I imported into ID CS. When I import the EPS file (a filled circle with art inside) and place it over a TIFF my ID screen shows the art as intended, circle art with TIFF art underneath, clipping path intact. When I print to PDF or PS printer, the box is filled white??? Kinda like a BMap EPS file from PS missing its clipping path.

    The file does use a radial blur effect and a glow effect. If its effects went outside the art would ID put the white background in??

    I have "saved as" file hoping to clear any bad bits.

    Vital stats: Big fast computer (intel), gobs of ram, w2k sp4, all CS software (no .1 adobe updates, are they safe yet??)
    jeff paulic Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Illustrator Art Shows Tx Prints W White Box

    Should add, when opening the file in PS the white background shows up also. No transparency around the art.
    thanx,
    jeff
    jeff paulic Guest

  3. #3

    First of all you're reasoning is flat out silly, IMO. You should be
    using native AI or PDF from Illustrator. EPS flattens everything.

    And yes the .01 update is not only safe, but fixes some issues that
    definitely need fixing.

    Bob_Levine Guest

  4. #4

    We'll using native AI w/ pdf still gives the white filled box on output, and the file size (wow), but it looks great on screen.

    Question, what do you mean by flattened? Saving as EPS seems to retain all native formatting and special effects. Flattening to me means saving back to AIv3 where grads are turned into individual objects.

    File sizes:
    EPS file 8mb; AI native w/o pdf 2.5mb (wont even display in ID, but I'm sure you know that); AI native w pdf 10.75mb.
    2.75mb might be too much difference, but it does make a difference on our Xerox (not my choice, was here before me)

    Thanx for the good referral to the update. Had read a few horror stories in other posts.

    In the meantime have integrated bad art in psd background, but would still like to know if this will be a issue in the future.

    ;-) jeff
    jeff paulic Guest

  5. #5

    What I'm saying is that EPS does not support transparency, so if you
    have any raster effects such as drop shadows in Illy, the file will be
    flattened and you'll wind up with white backgrounds.

    What version PDF are you saving the Illy file with? You should use
    version 5. If you save without Illy editing capability that should lower
    the file size (make sure to save as AI first).

    And last but not least, make sure that EVERYTHING is set to CMYK for
    that printer.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  6. #6

    Thanx for the help/suggestions.

    That must be it then. Yes, I am using raster effects.

    Using v6 Acrobat Pro, but will investigate lower versin numbers to reduce file size.

    thanx again,
    jeff
    jeff paulic Guest