Professional Web Applications Themes

Illustrator Colour matching 'C' to 'CVC'? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I previously posted a question about getting the Pantone 'cvc' colour swatches into illustrator 10. No-one could really help me. Yes Indeed, the Pantone 'c' library has slightly differing values to the 'cvc' when converted to cmyk. Where I am working in prepress, the colours need to match across platform. One person said to just 'change the name' I'm sure the printer would love that one. To add to the problem, There are no older illustrator versions than 8 here. Has anyone got a downloadable pantone CVC lirary out there? Any responses would be greatly apprecialted....

  1. #1

    Default Illustrator Colour matching 'C' to 'CVC'?

    emerson_ringrose@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Illustrator Colour matching 'C' to 'CVC'?

    One person said to just 'change the name' I'm sure the printer would love
    that one.

    Yes, that is all you have to do and yes, the printer would love it that you match all of the pms names.

    But, the printers would like it more if you use the C or U more tha cvc, cvu, cv and so on.

    If you are really in great need, you could open the library up and change all the names to cvc and resave. You then can use that as your library. That is if you cannot acquire an old library.

    Just note, you are best served utilizing the C and U naming for spot colors.
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks.

    Maybe I had the wrong idea. I was under the impression that the values of the swatches would remain the same despite changing the name. as you know, the 'c' values are different to the 'cvc's when you convert to cmyk. I was concerned that by simply changing the name the value would remain the same but have a different output to film. Say for example you had 2 colours named the same but with differing inherit values would they still output the same?
    I didn't think so but I'll give it a try.

    Pantone 'c' is the better swatch library but the prepress I'm involved in only uses the 'cvc' colour matching system.
    emerson_ringrose@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Emerson,

    Illy is good to us: you do have the CVC:

    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Illustrator 10\Presets\Pantone Libraries pre-2000, and there it is: PANTONE Coated = CVC.

    Try Windows>Swatch Libraries>Other Library and see whether it pops up there. Otherwise just browse as shown above.

    Choose PANTONE Coated = CVC and open it. Now you may use it in the current session with Illy. Or:

    You may keep it forever by adding it to your swatches. Just
    a) Shift-click on the first swatch (100 CVC) and on the last swatch (Yellow CVC)
    b) Drag and drop (Click on one of them, hold down the key, and release the key over the swatches palette) where you want them, maybe first or last.

    From then on all your artworks will be born with Pantone CVC.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Emerson, here is the complete guide to keeping CVC in your new artworks:

    You may keep it forever by adding it to your swatches. Just
    a) Make a new doent (CtrlN),
    b) Shift-click on the first swatch (100 CVC) and on the last swatch (Yellow CVC),
    c) Drag and drop (Click on one of them, hold down the key, and release the key over the swatches palette) where you want them, maybe first or last,
    d) Save the doent with a suitable name.

    From then on you can create all your new artworks from d), and they will be born with Pantone CVC.

    According to the Illustrator help it should be possible to make a custom color library appear each time Illustrator is started:

    Select a custom color swatch library.
    Choose Persistent from the swatch library palette's pop-up menu. The library will now automatically open in the same position each time the Illustrator application is started.

    However, I have not been able to find Persistent as an option. I hope someoone else can help us with that.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Thank You soo much. You've succesfully solved my problem!

    I looked into the persistent option on the swatch library. It seems that persistent is only an option on the newer swatch libraries. If you open say 'pantone solid coated' and click on the options arrow, you will see persistent down the bottom with a tick next to it. This option doesn't seem to exist with the older libraries.

    Maybe you can paste the library into the default swatch file?
    emerson_ringrose@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    To Make a startup swatches file go to 'Creating a custom startup file' In the Illustrator Help.
    emerson_ringrose@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Emerson,

    You are right, silly me. Just a few days ago I have put my default stroke (1pt, rounded cap, rounded join) into the startup file.

    So thank you, too. Now it works for us.

    As I wrote to start with: Illy is good to us; Pantones may change, but Illy remembers.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    > Yes Indeed, the Pantone 'c' library has slightly differing values to the 'cvc' when converted to cmyk.

    You shouldn't be using Pantone spot colors at all if the destination is
    CMYK...
    Brian Guest

  10. #10

    Yes indeed, But not all of our artwork supplied if from designers who understand that. Often There are numerable spot colours (we've recieved upwards of 20) that need to be run CMYK. So in that case conversion is important. Also If you were to name colours the same and take them into other software, they would not be recognised until film is produced. The spot colours could have the same name but output differently due to their values.
    emerson_ringrose@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    This is clearly a case of WYSINWYG (What You See Is Not What You Get).
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Exactly! Another trial and error message.
    emerson_ringrose@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Well,

    Owing to the special brightness and cleannes of the Pantone colours you must count on a difference when you use CMYK simulations. Also you must count on the truth in the introductory prayer of all colour books: Due to uncontrollable pigment fading, ....

    Having said that, I still believe you can use Pantone colours as a starting point to create artwork in CMYK, knowing the inherent difference. The Pantones are inspiring because of their quality, with the additional advantage of being limited in number so each Pantone has a distinct character.

    Used that way I do not believe the difference between CVC and the new C is significant; many of the CMYK values are only slightly changed, and some are even the same.

    So maybe it a case of WYKIWYG (What You Know Is What You Get).
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    > ...I still believe you can use Pantone colours as a
    > starting point to create artwork in CMYK, knowing the inherent
    > difference...
    You certainly can, but why not use a Pantone Process swatchbook/library
    as your starting point instead? Using the spot library as a starting
    point, knowing the whole time that your file will be printed process is
    sort of like painting the barn blue before you paint it red.
    Brian Guest

  15. #15

    Brian,

    With the color to process swatchbook you have all the CMYK simulations right beside the Pantone colours so you can see what you are doing just as well as with the process swatchbook, the number of swatches is only one third, and in my opinion the Pantone colours have more soul.

    But I like the barn metaphor.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest