Professional Web Applications Themes

Illustrator CS artwork edges jagged - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

Hi, I am running AICS on OSX10.2.8 and am having a weird problem with the edges in my artwork, which is quite simple paths with strokes and fills. This may sound bizarre, but it views and prints on my Epson 1270 as though anti alias is unchecked. This is NOT an anti alias issue as far as I know because I have anti alias checked in the preferences. I called tech support and they are claiming that Illustrator's viewing is generated by my printer and that it is a printer driver problem. He also suggested this could be a system ...

  1. #1

    Default Illustrator CS artwork edges jagged

    Hi,

    I am running AICS on OSX10.2.8 and am having a weird problem with the edges in my artwork, which is quite simple paths with strokes and fills. This may sound bizarre, but it views and prints on my Epson 1270 as though anti alias is unchecked. This is NOT an anti alias issue as far as I know because I have anti alias checked in the preferences. I called tech support and they are claiming that Illustrator's viewing is generated by my printer and that it is a printer driver problem. He also suggested this could be a system issue. He referred to the edge problem as "stepping."

    This may not be related, but I also tried to print a PDF from Illustrator and was unable.

    Interestingly enough, I viewed the same file with "jagged edges" in Illustrator 8.0 in OS9 and did not have this problem. This "stepping" issue is present in legacy files as well we newly created CS artwork.

    Any help is genuinely appreciated. I can't imagine this is a printer driver or system issue.

    FYI, I repaired permissions.

    Thanks!
    Mary
    Mary_Gabriel@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Illustrator CS artwork edges jagged

    You printer lacks a PostScript RIP, so is unable to print EPS files properly. What you are seeing is probably the low-resolution preview embedded in the EPS. Is you have Acrobat Distiller, try making a PDF with that program instead of Illustraor and printing directly from Acrobat. Otherwise make your PDF in Illustrator and print that, again usign Acrobat, not Illustrator.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Scott,

    Thank you for your feedback. I had already tried creating a PDF from Illustrator and got the same results. Guess I should have mentioned that. Also, in OS9-AI 8.O, I had no problems when printing on the same printer. I don't know if the printer driver for OSX would be lacking an element that would affect files in AICS. Also, you mentioned the file having an embedded low-resolution preview. However, I am getting the same problem when creating new artwork in AICS.

    This is most frustrating and I called Adobe a second time with no success.

    I can't find anything on the Mac site regarding PostScript and OSX.

    I hope someone in this forum can guide me because Adobe could not help.

    Thanks.
    Mary_Gabriel@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Well that shouldn't work that way. You shouldn't need a software RIP either…wait… I know the problem when you open the Espon drivers from the printer dialog go to printer settings which you already have done where it says printer resolution you will notice that it high speed is checked it is checked by default. Uncheck it you are now fine to go.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Wade. That is not it either. All settings in the Epson print dialogue are high rez. I agree I should not need RIP software. I am at a loss as what to do, as apparently is Adobe. I am stressing.

    Thanks anyway though.
    Mary_Gabriel@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Reinstall you drivers and trash all the Preferences make sure you remove it from the printer as well as trashing AI's preferences and reinstall after that repair permissions and add the the printer back to the printer list.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Oh yes even though it might say high resolution the option for High Speed can also be selected by default you must be certain the even though hi resolution is selected that high speed is unchecked.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Hi Wade,

    I reinstalled the driver and trashed preferences. Still no luck. By the way, I always check to make sure the high speed is unchecked so that is not the issue. This is a crazy problem and I fear I am going to get sent back and forth between Adobe, Epson and Mac. I wish the forum could help me resolve. If anyone is willing, maybe I could send a file to someone with CS on OSX10.2.8. I want cry or scream. I can't decide.

    Thanks for trying Wade!
    Mary_Gabriel@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    [email]wzphotoverizon.net[/email]
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Mary,

    It looks and prints fine on my computer? Except for reinstalling the drivers and trashing preferences and profiles I can't think of what might cause this I don't think it is AI CS.

    I know this might not be what you hoped to hear but that is all I can see.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Mary, these are probably 2 wild-goose-chase kinds of suggestions, but here I go anyway. Check to see if you have 'Pixel Preview' checked under the View menu. This would give your art a jaggy look on screen, especially if you zoom in. As for the printing jaggies, by any chance does your art use any of the SVG filters? I've noticed using these will cause images to print jaggy, but it isn't a problem for me because these filters are generally for web images where it isn't so apparent. Sorry for your frustration! We've all been there.
    Pat_Cheal@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Hi Pat,

    You could not send me on any more of a wild goose chase than I already have been!
    I did not have "pixel preview" selected and no SVG filters. Thanks for trying though!

    Thank goodness Adobe experienced techs read this forum because I was contacted by one who is trying to really help me.

    Thanks again,

  13. #13

    Actually Mary I received your sample and I can rightfully say that what prints from my Epson 12y70 is somewhere between your OS 10.2.8 and 9.2.2 versions. It would appear that if you wish to have perfect results you will ned a RIP software.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Viviana

    I know what you're going through, I did an outline of a logo, to put in the background, and faded it to 15%, and I did a test print on my epson, and an HP B/W laser, and on both comes out the same way, I decided to send it to print that way (deadline), thinking that it was just a printing issue. Then I get a phone call back from the printer, telling me that the logo looks jagged, just the way it came out on my printers!.
    I let it go, since it was a small internal job. Nobody knows why this happens, I asked a few production people, and they don't know either.
    What I am thinking of doing, is instead of outlining the whole thing, and stroking it, I am gonna recreate the logo with two lines, and merging them together (filling it in), so it doesn't show that way. It's alot of work, but I think this is gonna work.
    viviana_espinosa@adobeforums.com Guest