Professional Web Applications Themes

Illustrator CS Crashes on Save??? - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

Hi, I have now lost four pieces of work. Its seems to only crash when saving a eps, does anyone have a solution? Thanks in advance...

  1. #1

    Default Illustrator CS Crashes on Save???

    grant.smith@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Illustrator CS Crashes on Save???

    Did you do a search of the forum? This could be a time zone thing or a conflict with
    Spell Catcher there is an update for Spell catcher works great I understand or if not that then try trashing AI CS preferences then go to the Date and Time and change your time zone and or the city and then change back. This sometimes fixes this problem.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Why the heck would the Time Zone affect Illustrator CS? Have many people confirmed that changing the Time Zone will fix Illustrator CS, and if so, WHY?
    William_Levin@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Dual 800G4 OSX.2.6

    I've got the same problem, but with version 10.

    I do not use spell catcher.

    It only crashes when I save as EPS and then seems to only when I switch to Photoshop or (less) often) other activity.

    I searched the forums and found nothing. My own posting went unanswered, so I assumed I may be the only one with this . Not so, Huh?

    I will try changing the time zone s this will do no hjarm but hesitate to trash my prefs at the moment.

    Any other suggestions?
    Joe_leMonnier@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Wiiliam-

    Why the heck would the Time Zone affect Illustrator CS? Have many people
    confirmed that changing the Time Zone will fix Illustrator CS, and if
    so, WHY?

    Why in heavens name do you care why? Oh, yes I can confirm that changing the time zone and changing it back after trashing AI preferences will fix AI CS as I had the problem myself. I am pleased to say it has never happened again and that was a couple of months ago right after I installed CS.

    It has fixed some peoples problems and some it has not, so if you feel strongly about this don't try it.

    Joe,

    You describe a problem that seems to affect some dual process or at least some users
    I can't say for sure if they have a fix or not but the users who had this problem mentioned that they worked very fast canceling operation and switching back and forth really rapidly. Though this shouldn't be a problem perhaps slowing up a bit would help. Perhaps you have even a different problem.

    Trashing your preferences is easy just drag the old ones to the desktop and then change the time zone and change it back changing it without trashing your preferences will nothing what so ever.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    << Why in heavens name do you care why? >>

    I care why switching the Time Zone would cure Illustrator CS problems because the reason could lead to a bug fix.

    It also seems like voodoo!
    William_Levin@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Then ignore the suggestion if you feel that way!
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Wade,

    It's good to know how a solution works, especially if a client asks for an explanation. Better than answering, "It's MAGIC!"

    William
    William_Levin@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    There could be many reasons but Apple's clock has as far as I know always been a problem of sorts. So this is how this fix came about I could not work with AI CS after installing the the CS software, a friend noticed that I was way behind him in my clock
    settings from an e-mail message I sent. So I check and noticed I was set to the wrong time zone so I changed it to the correct time zone and everything was fine. I had also read that there were other occasions where the clock settings where way off and prevented some people from saving files as especially those that had been created when the clock was not properly set as the system thought the files where either in use or did not exist as of yet.

    So I made the suggestion to someone to check their time settings, he did and it was perfectly fine but what he did was to change the time zone and then he changed it back and then he had no problems. He had tried to simply trash the preferences but had no luck but when he did it and the changed the time zone it worked for him, this was also reported at about the same time elsewhere. Another person then tried the same thing with no luck until they set a different city within the correct time zone and then changed it back and he did not trash the preferences as far as I know. But everything worked fine.

    So I assume not being a programmer that the date and time preferences or settings have become somewhat corrupt and need to be reset after certain types of installation of software.

    I also assume there are other causes for similar problems such as a corrupt monitor profile as happened to me with Acrobat Professional CS.

    There are other reasons you could have these problems it was just a suggestion that you try this one as it does no harm and the one in ten times it helps is worth the try.

    Other causes are conflicting software and the one I sited is no longer a problem as long as you download the fix it is a very excellent software.

    The other causes are a bad font and moving the application using net info, I am not sure why people do this other than they read that they can. And they never tell you they did this until you have tried to help them for three weeks or so.

    So some people you can assist and some you can't.

    I am not a software person nor am I connected with Adobe I am just a user like you.

    So take my information for what it is worth and if it doesn't suit you then fine.

    Have a great day!
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Wade, either you type too fast, or I think too slowly. I didn't understand your instructions.

    Do I simply move the prefs to the desktop, change and restroe the timezone and then replace the prefs/ or do I have to actually lose my original prefs?

    Second, what was that about switch rapidly? I didn't understand except to notice you mention that it was a familar problem.

    Thanks again
    Joe_leMonnier@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Joe if you want save your preferences but try to change the time zone simply move the old preferences to the desktop that change the time zone. then launch AI you will have to work with it for a while and with the new preferences to see if all right. After you determined that this in fact was or was not your problem you can then restore your old preferences by quitting AI dragging the old preferences back to the preference folder and relaunching AI if the problem returns well you know how to reset the time zone and this time the preferences have to go like it or not.

    Now for future reference what many people do when they install when they know they have a well working healthy preferences folder they make a copy and save it somewhere for just such an occasion so they can easily replace it if it gets damaged and it will almost certainly get damaged.

    There is another thread about crashing and many of the people there mention that they experience these crashes while changing windows frequently between applications and opening and canceling operations and working kind of fast etc.

    Well that might possibly be a different problem apparently.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Ah yes, I have indeed saved an old copy of my prefs (along with Pshop and wacom) for jsut such an occaision. thank you for reminding me. I think I last saved them about 6 months ago. They are stable but may be out of date. Either way, its a good place to start.

    thanks for reminding me

    joe
    Joe_leMonnier@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    I have a similar problem. AI CS crashes when I create a new file, open an existing one or try to save, making it not very useful. Tried the Time Zone thing. No effect.
    d_purp@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Then do you have something like Norton Anti Virus or Spell Catcher (which can successfully be updated) or perhaps you have a corrupt profile or font.Have you moved the application using Net Info?

    Did you try to create a new user account and log into that and when trying the Time Zone thing did you first trash your Preferences and also repair your permissions.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Wade, I have been too busy to try any of your suggestions and for the next month am working on a single job that takes up most of my time. I thank you for the advice and will try all the ideas , like I said in amonth.

    At this time I am afraid to make any (even slight) changes to my system. I am still working in illustrator 10 with OSX.2.6. I've got unpleasant memories of the transition to OSX.2.5 and want to wait till the completion of this particular job to make any chnges. it does sound overly cautious or even paranoid, but since I got burned by Apple, I playing it safe.

    Who knows what new troubles await me in Panther (I've got firewire drives) and Illustrator CS.

    thanks
    Joe_leMonnier@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    You want OS 10.2.8 for one thing. So you will have to update your system I highly recommend this.

    OS 10.2.6 is probably part of the problem there are some security updates as well that have to be installed.

    I suggest you do this to make life a little easer for yourself.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest