Professional Web Applications Themes

Illustrator CS Effects missing, can't blur drop shadow - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I just upgraded to CS 3 days ago. At first I had all of my filters and could use the blur option under Effect>Stylize>Drop Shadow. Today everything below Warp is missing and the blur box is grayed out so I can't use it. Any ideas? My guess is I accidently clicked a setting that I didn't mean to. Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default Illustrator CS Effects missing, can't blur drop shadow

    Sarah_Emily_Williams@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Sarah:

    <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50.eed5198.2cd0b46e>
    Bert Guest

  3. #3

    Deleted the file but has not helped my problem. Is a restart of my computer necessary or does this mean that deleting the preferences won't help?
    Sarah_Emily_Williams@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Sarah, did you delete with Illy closed?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    yes. I've had this problem before but it was with Ill 7 and was related to the fact that I had loaded 3rd party effects but haven't tried to load anything with this - just disappeared.
    Sarah_Emily_Williams@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Illustrator 7 didn't have any blur options.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I wasn't talking about the blur which doesn't exist in 7. I was talking about the other effects I am missing which were in Ill 7, everything below warp. But now with CS I am also missing the blur capability.
    Sarah_Emily_Williams@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Sarah, with Illy closed, try going to the folder where the AIPrefs file is (I believe a search for Illustrator 11 will bring it) and delete all the files (not folders); sometimes taking it out on AIPrefs is not enough: others will have to suffer as well.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    That worked!! Thanks Jacob.
    I did lose all my preferences but I've got my blur and effects back.
    Thanks again. Hope it doesn't happen again.
    Sarah_Emily_Williams@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Sarah, you are welcome.

    To preserve your preferences once they are reestablished, save them in a subfolder: in that way you can always replace the corrupted version, just by selecting and copying; you can make different backup versions.

    The other option is to make it read only, which will give you an error message each time you close Illy; and it does not allow you to change your settings.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest