Professional Web Applications Themes

Illustrator CS "Unexpectedly Quit" on launch - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

OS X 10.2.8 I've done the following with no success. Trashed all the AI CS pref's Disabled Font Management Creatred a new user account with zero extra stuff Completely removed Adobe Creative Suite with all the associated system files and reinstalled. It still Unexpectedly Quits when i launch it. The Crash log produced in Terminal really tells me nothing Can anyone help me?...

  1. #1

    Default Illustrator CS "Unexpectedly Quit" on launch

    Karl_Valentine-Rothenberg@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Illustrator CS "Unexpectedly Quit" on launch

    Change the time zone then change back repair the permissions. It works fine here.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    This didn't work. So unless the process for doing so was wrong that one isn't the fix either. Here's how I did it.

    Logged into the computer as the user
    Changed Time zone from Los Angeles to Some place in Europe
    Logged out
    Logged into the Administrator Account
    Put the time zone back to Los Angeles
    Reset Permissions to allow the user read and write access the the applications volume
    Logged out Administrator
    Logged in as the user
    Launched Illustrator
    Splash screen comes up and indications of several initializations run, then ...
    The Application Unexpectedly Quits.
    Arrgh
    Karl_Valentine-Rothenberg@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    No just log in normally change the Time Zone then change the Time Zone back again simply restart the computer and repair the permissions and then try it.

    None of this user, administrator.

    You are working in the administrator account? If not perhaps that is the problem.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Unfortunately that didn't work either. No change at all. And to make matters worse... I have a second user experiencing the same issue.

    Also tested to see how it behaves while logged in as admin... same thing.

    After reading through a lot of the posts here, I'm finding this to be a fairly commom problem. Hopefully this will cause Adobe to get on the stick with a fix...
    Karl_Valentine-Rothenberg@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Karl if you read further you will also find that most people have solved the problems they were experiencing. Now I can tell you from following these threads that the experience you are having is a solvable problem but unfortunately you have to solve it as I and no one else know how you have configured your computer and what you have or do not have installed. And since you do know then it is up to you figure it out.

    Good Luck!
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I had the same problem but with 10.3.3
    I don't know why but Illustrator CS didn't like the fact that my home folder was not on the same partition as the applications (and system).
    What I did is create a new user with is home folder on the main partition (default) and then copy the pref files on my real account, change is owner. And voila !
    Jérémie_Meyer_de_Ville@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I'm also having this same frustrating problem, on a g5 dual 2 gig processor runnning Panther 10.3.3.

    I'll try anything at this point. For what it's worth I don't experience this on my g4 dual 1.25 system that is also running Panther 10.3.3 go figure.
    Bryan_Karl_Lathrop@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    any other suggestions would be welcome.
    Bryan_Karl_Lathrop@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Try moving the Adobe Online pluggin from the AI folder in the Extentions folder.
    Dee Holmes Guest

  11. #11

    Nope. It didn't work. Still crashing on start up.
    Bryan_Karl_Lathrop@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Give the below a shot if your system is set up as such..

    Issue
    When launching Illustrator CS on Mac OSX, you receive the error message, "The Application Has Unexpectedly Quit........"

    Details
    You have a Swatch, Brush, Graphic Style, or Symbol library set as persistent and you have either turned off the Font Preview function, set the Font Preview size to Large,set the Font Preview size to Small, or checked "Show Font Names in English" from the Type and Auto tracing section of the General Preferences.

    Solution
    Trash the Illustrator preferences to open up Illustrator CS. To stop it from happening again, either change the swatch library from persistent, or change the font preview to "On" with the medium size setting.

    Chelan
    Chelan@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    When closing a file in Illustrator CS on Mac OSX 10.3.4, I receive the error message, "The Application Has Unexpectedly Quit........"

    I want to trash the AICS preference file? How do I find it?

    What else should I do? Can I trash the whole Illustrator CS file and reinstall from Creative Suite?
    Aubrey_Shelton_Jr@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Thanks Dee!!! I was having the same problem in Illustrator 10.0.3 I took out the Adobe Online plug-in from the Extension folder. Everything is back to normal.
    Michael_James_Brown@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Aubrey the Prefences is in Home/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator CS

    You can repair the permission with the Disk Utility in the Applications?Utilities directory.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    If you send me the crashlog, there is a good chance that I may have an idea or two. The ones you send to Apple will NEVER end up on my desk. You have to send them to our tech support at [email]aifilesadobe.com[/email], or me directly (click on my name above)

    Cheers,
    Dave
    Dave_MacLachlan@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    When attempting to open Illustrator CS I receive " The application Illustrator has unexpectedly quit. " error. It seems to be trying to update the fonts menu on the start-up when this occurs. HELP !!!!!
    T.J._johnson@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    HI

    I Installed Mac os 10.3.3 on a G4 with a clean HD that works fine. Then installed Illustrator 10, that work fine, Upgraded to Illustrator CS and i get a problem, it bounces in the DOCK then disappears, Nothing! i have repaired my disk permissions and this did nothing. i have no preferences but i have not started the programe yet, is that OK?
    Please help my Work is starting to pile up..
    Thank you
    ant
    smur_repro@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Michael, glad it worked for you.

    By the way, now that you're running, you should be able to go to your AI preferences and at the bottom of the list is online settings. Click never check for updates. Then put the Adobe Online pluggin back in the extensions folder (If you still have it). This way you still should have access to Illustrator help.

    Although, I haven't tested this. But in theory...
    Dee Holmes Guest

  20. #20

    are you using a font manager? Try disabling it to just system fonts only.
    Konstantinos_Gargaletsos@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast