Professional Web Applications Themes

Illustrator CS won't open-- error "Cannot Complete Requested Operation" - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Weirdest thing, can't figure it out. I installed from our master license the onto to PC's running Windows XP the Adobe Creative Suite, and of all the apps, only Illustrator ( shows as version 11.0.0), when you go to launch it from the Start Menu, it comes up, acts as if it is going to launch, and then when it gets to the screen where it should do the "Splash" ( Do you wnat the turotial, do you want a new doent, etc.) it gives the error: "Cannot Complete the Requested Operation" and shuts down Illustrator. The problem is not ...

  1. #1

    Default Illustrator CS won't open-- error "Cannot Complete Requested Operation"

    Weirdest thing, can't figure it out.
    I installed from our master license
    the onto to PC's running Windows XP
    the Adobe Creative Suite,
    and of all the apps, only Illustrator
    ( shows as version 11.0.0),
    when you
    go to launch it from the Start Menu,
    it comes up, acts as if it is going to launch,
    and then when it gets to the screen
    where it should do the "Splash"
    ( Do you wnat the turotial, do you want a new doent, etc.)
    it gives the error:
    "Cannot Complete the Requested Operation"
    and shuts down Illustrator.

    The problem is not consistent, and I can't seem to figure out
    what is causing the error.
    terjack@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Terjack,

    Was this a "clean" install? Did you have anything running when the install was performed? Was the install done by the system administrator? Have you tried an overinstall, being sure it's clean (especially no anti virus running or Norton Utilities running?)

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Bob,
    I installed this in System Administrator mode.
    Nothing was running at the time of the install.
    I did notice that there were Windows XP patches waiting to be done
    ( The dock flashed the message: There are new Patches to install)
    but I clicked the little "X" and told it to ignore.

    The other thing is that after it was done installing, a window popped up asking about the Adobe icon,
    and if I wanted XP to remember it.
    I told it no.
    terjack@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Terjack,

    Try deleting the Illustrator preference file - Details in the FAQ at the top
    of this forum's Topic List - it might just be all you need to do.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    LEn,
    hi have done this twice, everything but Illustrator works on my CS install.
    Bob-Have re-installed the product, still no go.
    terjack@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Try copying the installation files to your desktop and installing from there, but be sure you have a freshly Defragged machine with nothing running on it. See if that doesn't work.

  7. #7

    I ended up calling Adobe support, and through troubleshooting,
    found that the AdobeFNT.list files Illustrator was generating
    were getting corrupted, due to a bad font.

    They had me trash the whole Adobe Illustrator CS Prefs folder
    and then we relaunched, same thing, then we went in and trashed all
    fnt.list files, and relaunched and it worked!

    So now, I have to sort through the 2941 fonts
    on each of these two machines to figure out
    which one is bad. Guess I'm getting Font Doctor
    ( works great on the Mac, and now avaialble for Win XP!)
    to see if it can root out the problem.

    Terry
    terjack@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Does anyone know how to contact the people that sell Font Doctor?
    Their link to purchase on line is down and no one answers their phone number. Seems like good software, but wonder if they are still in business.
    Rick_Jung@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I have had good luck with the (704) number.
    try it.
    terjack@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Terry,

    Almost three thousand installed and active fonts is going to cause you all sorts of problems, even if ALL are in perfect condition. For that you need to use an external font manager such as Adobe's ATM Deluxe or Bitstream's Font Review, where you can install all those fonts, but put them into small custom sets where you can activate and deactivate them with a click of a button without putting such a burdon on your system resources. I have over 2000 and don't have a problem using ATM Deluxe that way. It is recommended that you only have around 150 fonts actively installed at a time (number is not exact, and much dependent upon the power of your system).