Professional Web Applications Themes

Illustrator CS2 Character List empty - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Windows 2000 2.6 ghz 1g ram 160 gig hd When I load Illustator CS everything loads fine (plugins/font). When I go to create some text the font names do not appear in the Character dropdown, or in the dropdown in the character panel. If I go to Type>Fonts then the previews show up, but no where else. They do not show up in Recent Fonts (I would assume because this is not a preview but the font name). I use Adobe Type Manager Deluxe 4.1 to manage my fonts. Everything works fine in Photoshop CS2 and everything worked fine in ...

  1. #1

    Default Illustrator CS2 Character List empty

    Windows 2000
    2.6 ghz
    1g ram
    160 gig hd

    When I load Illustator CS everything loads fine (plugins/font). When I go to create some text the font names do not appear in the Character dropdown, or in the dropdown in the character panel. If I go to Type>Fonts then the previews show up, but no where else. They do not show up in Recent Fonts (I would assume because this is not a preview but the font name).

    I use Adobe Type Manager Deluxe 4.1 to manage my fonts. Everything works fine in Photoshop CS2 and everything worked fine in Illustrator 9.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    I have already tried:

    - reinstalling the program
    - rebooting multiple times
    - deactivating all my fonts in ATM and reactivating them
    - deleting all "adobeFnt[number].lst files.
    eddit@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Illustrator CS2 Character List empty

    eddit,

    I would suggest deleting the AIPrefs file, maybe also the other files (not subfolders) in the same folder. You may save it in a subfolder so you can retrieve your settings if deletion does not help.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    No luck, but thx for the idea. I tried to reinstall and when I uninstalled I had it remove all the preferences. Went ahead and did it manually but still no luck. Its the weirdest thing. It knows the fonts are there, load them fine. Uner Type>Font it shows the previews, but in the dropdown in the pallette (or up top when selecting the text tool) the list is empty. I can type in side it and a typeface's name will appear but it wont change the text.

    The only way I can control the font is by Type>Font. Its like the dropdown doesnt want to display the font name. If I go under Type>Find Font, and select "System" all the fonts show up, but the names dont display. Its a really weird issue. I would make me think that the font files are corrupt, but every other program (and previous versions of illustrator) work just fine.

    Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    eddit@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    eddit,

    ... and when I uninstalled I had it remove all the preferences.

    I am sorry for asking this, but did you search and destroy the AIPrefs and others, independently of uninstalling, as described in FAQ #2?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    It's Time:

    <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50.eed5198.2cd0b46e>
    Bert Guest

  6. #6

    yes destroyed those both before the reinstall, after the reinstall, and numerous times before reboots/reruns of illustrator. Seems to be the weiredest situation. It loads the fonts, but wont display then unless its a preview.
    eddit@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Hi - I have exactly the same problem. Did you ever resolve this

    --
    co
    com's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/m86

    alan_osman@msn.com Guest