Professional Web Applications Themes

Illustrator import failed - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

CS" I have often copy - pasted paths from Illu to InDesign, now I keep geeting the message: "Illustrator import failed. Scrap contains no visible objects." I usually have my Illu clipboard options set to AICB - Presesrve paths. This time no luck - tried every combination of the pref. Can you help me? -- Regards Nina Storm...

  1. #1

    Default Illustrator import failed

    --
    Regards Nina Storm
    Nina_Storm@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Illustrator import failed

    Try deleting the preferences from either Illustrator and/or InDesign.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Is the path stroked?

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  4. #4

    Trashed both InDesign prefs and Illustrators prefs and plist. No luck.

    My collegue tried as well. No luck.

    I have done this excact trick in the same catalogue without problems.

    The paths originally comes from Photoshop.

    The paths is a plain path not stroked.

    I have tried stroking it - did not help.

  5. #5

    The problem must be in the Illustrator path - I cannot see what.

    http://home19.inet.tele.dk/storms/edge.ai.zip

    I have a lot of these made in the same way - but no they don't work any
    longer. I think it is a "compound path problem" - can anyone help me how
    to solve it?

  6. #6

  7. #7

    We have experienced the same problems and have advised the layouters to only place AI files. Stefan
    Stefan Guest

  8. #8

    That link doesn't seem to want to work.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  9. #9

    Bob, I put a .pdf version:

    http://home19.inet.tele.dk/storms/edge.pdf

    tried opening that in Illustrator and copy - paste to InDesign. Same
    errror. Suppose the problem is a Compound path problem.

    Stefan, I will place as you advise, put in this situation I would much
    prefer copy - pasting.

  10. #10

    Nina, In Illustrator, if you select Object > Expand Appearance first, then you can copy from Illustrator and paste into Indesign.
    Jeffrey_Smith@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Thank you so much Jeffrey. Very useful.

  12. #12

    Nina,

    Does it make a difference if you have both radio buttons checked in AI?
    PDF and AICB. Then the importing app can use whichever one is most appropriate.

    Larry
    Larry_G._Schneider@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Thanks Larry, but no, it does not help.

    Jeffreys input did the trick, problem solved using Object > Expand
    Appearance.

  14. #14

    The copy to Clipboard trick works with simple paths. Expand appearance always reduces more complex effects to simple paths. That's why it worked. Good catch, Jeffrey!
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest