Professional Web Applications Themes

Illustrator or InDesign - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

for some reason raster images w/transparency from illustrator seem to link to indesign pixelated. they look pixelated and print pixelated. any ideas how to correct this (aside from using raster images w/out transparency)? -tx, thomas...

  1. #1

    Default Illustrator or InDesign

    thomas_garcia@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Illustrator or InDesign

    You'll need to give us a lot more info for us to help:

    What version of Illustrator? What version of InDesign? Are the raster images in Illustrator linked (which file format?) or embedded? What resolution are the images? How are you using the raster images and how are they interacting with transparency (in an effect?). How did you save the Illustrator file to place it in InDesign?
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    We use Illustrator 10.0.3 and InDesign 2.0.2, this problem also happens w/the CS of both programs. The raster images were complex (over 100MB) vector illustrations that were rasterized w/in Illustrator then masked into a silhouette (like a pair of pants). The images are linke to InDesign by Illustrator 10 eps formatting. By the way, I tried to use Illustrator files linked to InDesign, but I lost the ability to print simple Fill Patterns.

  4. #4

    Perhaps changing the raster effects resolution will help elevate the problem.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    raster effects? I'm not sure what you mean? can you explain?
    thomas_garcia@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    When the vector art was rasterized, did you use the Object > Rasterize command? What resolution was selected for rasterization. If you did this, the raster would be embedded in the Illustrator file, and should print at that resolution.

    Does the rasterized artwork print at high resolution directly out of Illustrator?
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Yes, this is what we do. And this is great printing out of Illustrator, but when it links to InDesign it prints out very pixelated the only work around I can find is to rasterize at the same res. but w/out transparency
    thomas_garcia@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    So what flattener settings are you using printing from InDesign? If you have transparency in InDesign, it goes through the transparency flattener, and your settings may be inappropriate.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    it appears that we use the default settings that come out of the box w/InDesign 2 "the high end of medium" for transparency. I will test this on the highest setting to check the results, but wouldn't this just be the "view" display not the printing quality?
    thomas_garcia@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    it doesn't seem to make a difference, I change the settings under "pref" and also under "edit/transparency flattener styles..." no change. though the images are rasterized at a 300dpi res. they seem to display and print at a 72dpi res. this only happens to the transparent raster image not the "white" raster images and not to the vector images either.

    You know we never had this problem before, but what it may be is that the designers are wanting to see the art enlarged and to save time i suggested printing the images through InDesign on 11x17 pages and choosing "scale to fit". apparently this doesn't work for transparent raster images.....too bad

  11. #11

    Flattening happens at print time, depending on the flattening setting in the Print dialog box.

    In the InDesign Print dialog box, on the Advanced panel, select High Resolution and try that.

    Another clue would be how the Illustrator EPS views. In InDesign, select the placed graphic, and use the context menu (Control or right-click) and select Display Performance > High Quality Display. It should display the graphic at high resolution.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    The display is set to view at High quality, though that is not how we use it. I will check to see if the print options help any, I'll respond either way.
    thomas_garcia@adobeforums.com Guest