Professional Web Applications Themes

Illustrator / Photoshop CS2 ing upgradient colours on the clipboard? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Aaah, frustrations abounds. I have to say that the colour management options in CS2 are far, far more difficult to work with than any previous versions. Here's my problem: I have all my apps synchronised (why you need to edit colour settings in an app and then switch to Bridge to apply them but not edit is beyond me, but I digress) with the working monitor RGB - which happens to be Adobe RGB 1998 because I'm working with web and other on-screen imagery primarily. However, when I go to copy and paste artwork containing gradients from Illustrator CS2 into ...

  1. #1

    Default Illustrator / Photoshop CS2 ing upgradient colours on the clipboard?

    Aaah, frustrations abounds.

    I have to say that the colour management options in CS2 are far, far more difficult to work with than any previous versions. Here's my problem:

    I have all my apps synchronised (why you need to edit colour settings in an app and then switch to Bridge to apply them but not edit is beyond me, but I digress) with the working monitor RGB - which happens to be Adobe RGB 1998 because I'm working with web and other on-screen imagery primarily.

    However, when I go to copy and paste artwork containing gradients from Illustrator CS2 into Photoshop CS2, the colours for the gradient shift as if they've been converted to CMYK and then back to RGB.

    Here's the clincher though - if I enable PDF clipboard it will copy the dread 3px empty box of much emptiness. If I then quit Illustrator - the clipboard works again! I am very suspicious of the option being called "Clipboard on Quit". Why should I have to quit Illustrator just to have the clipboard work correctly?!?

    * Yes, the Illustrator doent is RGB and not CMYK. :)

    * Changing colour profiles to things like sRGB does not make any difference, nor does disabling colour management or emulating Illustrator 6

    * AICB clipboard alone results in copying the gradients but colour shifting them, regardless of Preserve settings

    * File / Export to Photoshop file works just fine but is unwieldy to use all the time

    * PDF clipboard results in a 3px box of emptiness regardless of AICB also being active or not

    * PDF clipboard and then quitting Illustrator makes it work (???) GRR! Is Illustrator not committing stuff to memory properly? I think this may be the sticking point!

    * This never used to occur in Illustrator / Photoshop CS. It is CS2 specific.

    * Yes, I'm up to date with software patches and drivers and stuff, though I can't see how a clipboard issue could be hardware related :) But just for the record, I'm running a 3.2GHz P4 on an Asus P5AD2-Deluxe board with 2GB of PC5300 DDR2 (4 x 512) and the vid card is a PCI-E geForce 6600.

    I've put an example of the problematic output at <http://public.dthought.net/clipboard_gradient_bugs.jpg>

    Has anyone else experienced this or has anyone got any suggestions for things to try to fix it?

    Mike
    Mikey_Hopkins@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Mike,

    I can't reproduce either problem here. Clpboard works fine with Both PDF
    and AICB checked and no colour shifts on pasting
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hmm... any thoughts on what I should try?

    I'm thinking an uninstall / reinstall might be an interesting idea. A time consuming idea, but an idea nonetheless :)
    Mikey_Hopkins@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Mike,

    Before un/re always try deleting the AIPrefs file along with other files (not subfolders) in the same folder.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Paul_A_George@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #6

    I'm sure the results of that first paragraph are illegal in at least a few states there Paul ;)

    I'll give the InDesign go-between a shot and see if it helps. If there's no joy, I'll try the prefs and then finally the reinstall of CS2. Maybe there's some old CS colour things hanging about causing issues.
    Mikey_Hopkins@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Okay, tried all those things... trashing prefs, using InDesign as a go-between etc. etc.

    Here's the fun part; I did a clean reinstall of Windows (it was about time anyway, it was playing up and it's been over a year since it was last installed) and the problem persisted.

    Issues which remain:

    * Illustrator copy to PDF results in the 3px box of emptiness when brought into Photoshop

    * Illustrator AICB to Photoshop results in the colour shift

    * InDesign doesn't seem to mind either AICB or PDF, but both have been colour shifted when pasted.

    * If I quit Illustrator after copying PDF to clipboard, it pastes perfectly - to both Photoshop and InDesign.

    I'm at a loss. :/
    Mikey_Hopkins@adobeforums.com Guest