Professional Web Applications Themes

Illustrator truncating long file names & becoming confused - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

In the work that I do, we aren't allowed to change the names of the files that are supplied to us, and when placing these long named files into Illustrator, they are re-interpretted - truncated. SO, everytime thereafter, when you open the doent containing these incredible, descriptively named placed files, Illustrator doesn't recognize the original file name, -it's looking for the one it truncated. You go to replace the file, or update the link, and you see nothing with that name, -making the person meant to open the file confused, thinking that you didn't supply the right one and causing ...

  1. #1

    Default Illustrator truncating long file names & becoming confused

    In the work that I do, we aren't allowed to change the names of the files that are supplied to us, and when placing these long named files into Illustrator, they are re-interpretted - truncated. SO, everytime thereafter, when you open the doent containing these incredible, descriptively named placed files, Illustrator doesn't recognize the original file name, -it's looking for the one it truncated. You go to replace the file, or update the link, and you see nothing with that name, -making the person meant to open the file confused, thinking that you didn't supply the right one and causing all sorts of havoc.
    What I really want to know is this: Is there a way to allow Illustrator to recognize more characters, or does anyone possibly know if this is still an issue in Ill. CS?
    Tammy_White@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Maybe this post will help explain?

    Lukas Machata "Illustrator OS X filename length" 8/6/03 2:57am </cgi-bin/webx?13.1dea36e8/0>
    Dee Holmes Guest

  3. #3

    It seems to work fine in Illustrator CS: I created a file with this name: "This is a test of a file with a very long file, does it work?.ai"
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I am resurrecting this post because we are also running into the same issue. Tammy’s problem has to do with the names of placed images, not the name of the Illustrator file. And, just so you know, I do understand the solution to this may simply be a hand slap and a request to just shorten the file names, but I think it is important to make a point that this is happening. I also think it is important to point out that in some instances–such as Tammy’s where she can’t change the file names–this workaround is not acceptable.

    I recently sent off a file to a service bureau and received a phone call asking me what image I had placed in Illustrator because it was asking for a file that was not on the CD called “dev_threelilies&rock_#80829.eps”. It was an EPS from Photoshop; I had named the file “dev_threelilies&rock_invite.eps” and it placed with no problems. The issue is that the Links palette in Illustrator CS (and possibly other versions, it looks like) truncates the name with a pound sign+number and it causes confusion at service bureaus. It seems that 31 is the magic number, as per Machata’s post. I do believe I have also seen this in InDesign CS.

    Maybe there would be a way to fix this in future versions of Illy? Even if it is an OS issue, should Illustrator really be modifying link names in the Links palette without warning the user? Maybe it should just warn people that placing files with long names might cause issues down the line.
    Leanne_Armstrong@adobeforums.com Guest