Professional Web Applications Themes

Ilustrator to Freehand - Macromedia Freehand

Have an urgent file to get out for work. We are a Cartography company and we work in Freehand. may seem redundent to be going from ilustrator to Freehand right now, but I can only get this file openend properly in Illustrator. I need to get it into Freehand to edit it. But I can't get past the "not enough memory error" Even though it's not a memory error, it's a freekin postscript error!!! When I can get it into Freehand it falls of the paste board and I can't select everything to drag it back onto the pasteboard.. once ...

  1. #1

    Default Ilustrator to Freehand

    Have an urgent file to get out for work. We are a Cartography company and we
    work in Freehand. may seem redundent to be going from ilustrator to Freehand
    right now, but I can only get this file openend properly in Illustrator. I
    need to get it into Freehand to edit it. But I can't get past the "not enough
    memory error" Even though it's not a memory error, it's a freekin postscript
    error!!! When I can get it into Freehand it falls of the paste board and I
    can't select everything to drag it back onto the pasteboard.. once again, not
    enough memory error. I can open it in Illustrator and it opens fine, but the
    file is way to FREAKIN slow to work with in illustrator, we're running twin 2.5
    GHz G5's with 8 gig ram! and it's killing or systems!

    any thought or ideas??? Please help, I'm at my wits end and I'm NOT NEW at
    this crap! AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGHGHGHGHHHH!!!!

    thanks
    brent

    mbalbritton Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Ilustrator to Freehand

    mbalbritton wrote:

    Have you tried saving from AI as a different version, such as AI7?

    If this is a Postscript error, then you might have to isolate the source
    through trial and error. If the file is in layers, perhaps you could save
    one layer at a time as separate files from AI and see which file fails to
    open in FH.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  3. #3

    That would be my typical route, but there are approximately 60 layers! Think
    of a Map, and how you would build the file, all the street names roads,
    counties, icons, etec. and to make one move in Illus. takes anywhere form 10
    seconds to 10 minutes..... ya, I think you get the picture now ;)

    I've tried different versions, formats, etc. Everything is Open Type
    fonts.... Any other ideas?

    thanks
    brent

    mbalbritton Guest

  4. #4

    mbalbritton wrote:

    There is a way to allocate more to FH under OS X. I have no idea if it would
    help in your situation.

    Quit FHMX. Find the application. Option-click on icon to bring up menu.
    Select 'Open Package Contents'.

    In the Contents folder, Mac OS, select FreeHand MX application. Get Info
    (Cmd-I). Change the Preferred Size memory setting to something your system
    can handle.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  5. #5

    I wrote:

    That should read:
    There is a way to allocate more *memory* to FH under OS X.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  6. #6

    Send the File to me will Open it For you...
    KevinPolin
    TuLSaViPeR Guest

  7. #7

    thanks for the suggestions, but it's not a memory error, like i said, I'm
    running 8 gigs of Ram. As for send the file to you TulsaViper, thanks for eth
    offer, but I do believe the Company would froan upon that idea ;)

    I guess to better describe what I'm trying to get around is that I can open
    the file in Freehand, but it's falling off the bottom left edge of the art
    board. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep it from doing this or getting
    around that?

    thanks
    brent

    mbalbritton Guest

  8. #8

    mbalbritton wrote:

    I've seen that happen with artwork from very early versions of FH. Mine has
    never been too complex to Select All in Doent (Cmd-shift-A) and move to
    center of page or pasteboard using the transform/move panel. Have you tried
    a move command rather than drag? I wouldn't discount a memory management
    problem though. It may not be the lack of RAM on your machine, but the
    inability of FH to effectively manage that many objects.

    It seems that FH is trying to center the artwork on a page in the lower left
    of the pasteboard, ignoring the AI 0,0 ruler origin. Unfortunately, changing
    the default FH template doesn't change the positioning of the imported AI
    file.

    An old trick from the days when we didn't have good font verifiers was to
    remove half the fonts. Test. If that half was good, test the other half. If
    that half was bad, test half of that portion, etc. I wonder if you could use
    that strategy on duplicates of the AI files. In AI, remove 30 of your 60
    layers, test, etc.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  9. #9

    Another thought. Working in Fast Keyline view, can you use the FH Page Tool
    to drag the page to the center of the pasteboard? That will shift everything
    on the page.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  10. #10

    mbalbritton,

    For the memory error, try reducing the number of undos in the preferences.

    David
    davecc Guest