Professional Web Applications Themes

iMac forgets IP address - Mac Applications & Software

Dear All, To be breif: my iMacs forget their IP address and choose one at random whenever the DHCP server disapears. How can I stop this from happening? The DHCP server is on the other side of a wireless link for reasons beyond my control. Whenever the link goes down (normally one of the relay stations looses power - I live in Africa) we loose the internet, and the iMacs can no longer see the DHCP server. Now I can live with an intermitant internet connection, but what really annoys me is the way the iMacs respond to a missing ...

  1. #1

    Default iMac forgets IP address

    Dear All,

    To be breif: my iMacs forget their IP address and choose one at
    random whenever the DHCP server disapears. How can I stop this from
    happening?

    The DHCP server is on the other side of a wireless link for
    reasons beyond my control. Whenever the link goes down (normally one
    of the relay stations looses power - I live in Africa) we loose the
    internet, and the iMacs can no longer see the DHCP server. Now I can
    live with an intermitant internet connection, but what really annoys
    me is the way the iMacs respond to a missing DHCP server.
    They seem to pick an IP address at random! It may not even be
    in the same subnet mask as the original! This is throwing my local
    network : file sharing (even through appletalk) and ethernet printing
    ..

    All I want it to do, is to carry on using the last address it
    recieved through DHCP until I can get them to run a generator at the
    base station and the server returns. Any ideas? Anyone?

    My thanks in advance,

    Ben.
    Ben Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: iMac forgets IP address

    In comp.sys.mac.system Ben <com> wrote:

    The iMac is acting as it should. The DHCP spec (RFC 2131) specifies that a
    DHCP server give a client (your iMac) an IP address and an associated lease.
    The lease stipulates how long the iMac is allowed to claim that IP as its
    own. When the lease is up, the iMac must give up the IP address and request
    a new one.

    When it can't find the DHCP server, there are a few things it can do. What
    is most common, and what you are probably seeing, is that the NIC (Network
    Interface Card, your ethernet interface) will 'self-assign' an IP address,
    usually in the 192.168.x.x subnet. This self assignment is designed to
    automatically set up private networking, since several NICs on the same
    network, without a DHCP server, should all choose one of these IPs, set
    their subnet mask appropriately and thus be able to communicate over IP.

    I don't think there is a lot you can do about this. It is up to the
    administrator of the DHCP server to specify the length of the lease (usually
    range from several hours to a few weeks), and if you can't get this changed
    you might be stuck! You could skip the DHCP entirely and manually assign
    your own settings, based on those you've seen from the server. This could
    break if someone else uses the same IP, the network changes subnets
    (unlikely?), and may well go against your DHCP administrator's wishes.

    --
    *--------------------------------------------------------*
    | ^Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool^ |

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>, Ben
    <com> wrote:

    This is according to spec. When there's no DHCP server, TCP/IP
    automatically assigns addresses from the 169.x.x.x block.

    Use static IP addresses, or have the DHCP server give out really long
    leases on addresses. Or run your own local wireless gateway and have
    it give out the IP addresses.

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Guest

  4. #4

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Ben) wrote:

    Put a router between your local network and the wireless link. Then the
    router will act as a DHCP server for your local network. The router
    will, in turn, receive its IP address from the original DHCP server.
    Even if the router loses its connection to the Internet, it would
    continue to act as a DHCP server for your network.

    The side benefit of using a router is that it will act as a firewall for
    your local network.

    This is exactly they way my home network is configured (two Macs and a
    network printer, connected via an XRouter Pro to my cable modem). When
    my cable modem connection goes down, I can still share between my Macs
    and use my printer.

    --
    Gordon Alley <*>
    <mailto:net>

  5. #5

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Ben) wrote:

    Not much you can do about the address assignment, that's the way DHCP
    works. I don't know why they pick the number they do. I suppose in
    part it's because they have to assign SOME address. There are utilities
    to force DHCP to renew the DHCP lease. Also you can have the DHCP
    server assign longer leases. The machine can't use the last address if
    it doesn't still have a lease for it, it would cause problems if the
    address has been reassigned.

    --
    Clark Martin

    Clark Guest