Professional Web Applications Themes

IMac Help center won't display topics - Macromedia Fireworks

I have Fireworks MX loaded on Mac OSX 10.28 I've been using it for simple jpg manipulations for approx. the last year. I just started to try to use the button editor and am running into some issues. Before I get into that ... I'm trying to open tutorials in the Mac help center. The index of topics shows up on the left, but when I try to click on a topic nothung happens. I'm pretty sure I was able to do this previously, when I first bought the program. I wonder if there's any compatibility issues with my current ...

  1. #1

    Default IMac Help center won't display topics

    I have Fireworks MX loaded on Mac OSX 10.28
    I've been using it for simple jpg manipulations for approx. the last year.

    I just started to try to use the button editor and am running into some issues. Before I get into that ...
    I'm trying to open tutorials in the Mac help center. The index of topics shows up on the left, but when I try to click on a topic nothung happens.

    I'm pretty sure I was able to do this previously, when I first bought the program. I wonder if there's any compatibility issues with my current version of OSX or if there's something else I'm overlooking.

    Anybody have any suggestions?

    rich@tagyerit Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: IMac Help center won't display topics

    The Help system on the Mac is one of the few things I really dislike.
    (It's better in Panther.) Here's a quick article that shows how to fix
    things up in Studio MX applications.

    http://www.communitymx.com/abstract.cfm?cid=E589218DDEE1CD3D

    --
    Kim Cavanaugh
    author, Beginner's Guides to Dreamweaver and Fireworks

    Kim Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Kim
    Thanks for that article, but that didn't do it. I checked my files and they are where they are supposed to be. Actually I thought I could get Dreamweaver help files but those aren't working either. The curious thing is that sometimes when i click one of the tutorial index on the left, the list of subjects appears for a split second in the right frame before disappearing leaving the Macromedia logo.

    If no one else has any other suggestions, I'm going to hit up my Apple Care rep cause I have a lot of other unresolved issues with my Mac.

    Thanks

    Rich Newman

    rich@tagyerit Guest

  4. #4

    I just got off the phone with Apple Care. Here's the solution (for me) in case anyone else runs into this problem. My problem was a corrupted file in my Preferences folder.

    We were able to isolate the problem, by creating a new user account for the IMac. When logging in as the new user, the help files worked fine. - which indicated a corrupted preferences file within
    user > myloginname > Library > Preferences

    We tested various options by moving various files to my desktop which removed them from the Library folder.

    First the Preferences folder was removed. Relogging in under my regular user name and then the help application worked fine. The Preferences folder was then returned to its rightful place and we experimented by removing various files.
    In my particular case removing the following 2 folders resolved this issue

    com.apple.help.plist
    com.apple.helpui.plist

    Thanks again
    Rich Newman