Professional Web Applications Themes

iMac menu bar flashes all the time. - Mac Applications & Software

We've got an iMac with OS X that doesn't seem to start correctly. It seems to go through the boot process, but then the screen clears and turns blue, with just a couple icons at the top - no menu bar. I can click on the clock to get to the System Prefs and get a menu that way. If I go to Force Quit, I see repeated instances of Finder, with more added every second or so... If I click Help, I get the message it quit unexpectedly. Sometimes I can get Finder to appear with a menu bar, ...

  1. #1

    Default iMac menu bar flashes all the time.

    We've got an iMac with OS X that doesn't seem to start correctly.
    It seems to go through the boot process, but then the screen clears
    and turns blue, with just a couple icons at the top - no menu bar.
    I can click on the clock to get to the System Prefs and get a menu
    that way.
    If I go to Force Quit, I see repeated instances of Finder, with more
    added every second or so... If I click Help, I get the message it
    quit unexpectedly.

    Sometimes I can get Finder to appear with a menu bar, but it only just
    flashes and I don't know how to get it to quit. I can't get to any
    other folders.
    Any ideas what is wrong and why my Finder is blinking?
    just_jt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: iMac menu bar flashes all the time.

    In article <e6befdd4.0307211516.67840496posting.google.com >,
    [email]just_jthotmail.com[/email] (just_jt) wrote:

    :> We've got an iMac with OS X that doesn't seem to start correctly.
    :> It seems to go through the boot process, but then the screen clears
    :> and turns blue, with just a couple icons at the top - no menu bar.
    :> I can click on the clock to get to the System Prefs and get a menu
    :> that way.
    :> If I go to Force Quit, I see repeated instances of Finder, with more
    :> added every second or so... If I click Help, I get the message it
    :> quit unexpectedly.
    :>
    :> Sometimes I can get Finder to appear with a menu bar, but it only just
    :> flashes and I don't know how to get it to quit. I can't get to any
    :> other folders.
    :> Any ideas what is wrong and why my Finder is blinking?

    Sounds like either damaged file structures or the Finder (or its
    preferences) have been hosed.

    I suggest booting from your OS X install CD, running Disk Utility, and
    letting it check the disk for errors as well as repairing permissions
    (it's odd how many problems can be corrected by the latter).

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

  3. #3

    I tried running Disk Util off the OS X CD, it didn't find any
    problems. I even re-ran the OS X install without reformatting.

    By clicking on the time I can get to system prefs, and even set my
    startup to use 9.2 instead. 9.2 seems fine - is there anything I could
    do to fix Finder in OS X while I've got OS 9.2 up?

    Thanks - Jim
    [email]just_jtnospamplease.hotmail.com[/email]

    "Steve W. Jackson" <stevewjacksoncharter.net> wrote in message news:<stevewjackson-9831F7.17123822072003corp.supernews.com>...

    > Sounds like either damaged file structures or the Finder (or its
    > preferences) have been hosed.
    >
    > I suggest booting from your OS X install CD, running Disk Utility, and
    > letting it check the disk for errors as well as repairing permissions
    > (it's odd how many problems can be corrected by the latter).
    >
    > = Steve =
    just_jt Guest

  4. #4

    com (just_jt) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    I just had something very similar happen to me just this week.
    Turned out to be something corrupted in the Library
    directory in my user home directory. I solved the problem by
    starting from an OS 9 CD and I moved the Library folder from
    my account's home directory to a different location (such as
    a new folder at the top level of the disk) and created a new
    Library folder in its place.

    When I restarted in OS X it started normally again. Then I slowly
    moved files from the damaged Library directory to the new one
    and restarted to test them.

    Good luck to you.
    Brian Guest

  5. #5

    In article <google.com>,
    com (just_jt) wrote:

    Did you boot from the CD?

    Are you running the copy of Disk Utility that's on the CD?

    In Disk Utility, did you select the icon representing the hard drive, or
    an icon representing a volume/partition on the drive? (Some actions can
    only be done to the drive, and others can only be done to volumes on
    that drive.)
    Wayne Guest

  6. #6

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Brian Carlin) wrote:

    :> com (just_jt) wrote in message
    :> news:<google.com>...
[...]

    This, to me, helps to confirm that there are still some areas where a
    utility like Casady & Greene's Conflict Catcher would have value in Mac
    OS X. I used it in System 7.5 and right on through 9.2. I still have
    it installed on my two Macs so that it selects startup sets that differ
    between Classic and an actual OS 9 boot. But since there are kernel
    extensions, startup items, and other items in OS X which can become
    corrupted or cause problems, the idea is still useful here. Sadly,
    Casady & Greene is no longer operating.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

  7. #7

    I would reinstall the system from the CD's

    m-m

    In article <supernews.com>,
    "Steve W. Jackson" <net> wrote:

    M-M Guest