Professional Web Applications Themes

iMac Monitor DEAD! What is the easiest method of retrieving data from hard drive. - Mac Applications & Software

So it's true. All good things do finally come to an end. This iMac is one of the first and it has served well. But the monitor has finally died and I need assistance with getting the data from the internal hard drive. Would be nice if it did not cost me a fortune. Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated. Is there an easy way to access the hard drive and copy the data to another hard drive? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default iMac Monitor DEAD! What is the easiest method of retrieving data from hard drive.

    So it's true. All good things do finally come to an end. This iMac is
    one of the first and it has served well. But the monitor has finally
    died and I need assistance with getting the data from the internal
    hard drive.

    Would be nice if it did not cost me a fortune. Any suggestions would
    certainly be appreciated.

    Is there an easy way to access the hard drive and copy the data to
    another hard drive?

    Thanks
    Robert Guest

  2. #2

    In article <google.com>, Robert
    Rolston <net> wrote:

    To copy stuff over in bulk, run a FireWire cable from the computer with
    dead monitor over to the other one. Boot up the other one. Now boot up
    the dead-monitor one, holding down the T key. Obviously you won't be
    able to see it booting up, but then presumably by now you know about
    how long it takes; hold it down that long and a bit longer just for
    safety's sake.

    T is "target mode", and if you go over and look at the other computer,
    you'll find the hard drive of the dead-monitor unit mounted on the
    other computer, with one or more volumes as you may have partitioned
    it. Now you can copy over to your heart's content, and FireWire copying
    is nicely brisk.

    When you're done, you can unmount those volumes, ejecting them like you
    would any other removable disk. Then you can just power down the
    machine with the dead monitor. Voila!

    --
    Bruce Baugh <*> com
    Writer of Fortune, Gamma World Developer

  3. #3

    In article <300820031046034664%com>,
    Bruce Baugh <com> wrote:

    > To copy stuff over in bulk, run a FireWire cable from the computer
    > with dead monitor over to the other one.[/ref]

    Nice trick, unfortunately "one of the first" iMacs predated FireWire.
    So he can't use that one.
    Tim Guest

  4. #4

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Tim McNamara wrote:

    > > To copy stuff over in bulk, run a FireWire cable from the computer
    > > with dead monitor over to the other one.[/ref]
    >
    > Nice trick, unfortunately "one of the first" iMacs predated FireWire.
    > So he can't use that one.
    >[/ref]
    He could just pull the hard drive from the iMac and put it in another
    computer.

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  5. #5

    Robert Rolston:

    Lots of interesting suggestions here, but only one practical
    one--remove the hard drive and install it into a second Mac.

    Of course, if you don't have a second Mac available, you're going to
    need to find someone--perhaps in a local user group--who is willing to
    install your drive in a desktop Mac.

    If you plan to replace the iMac with another one, you will probably
    still need to perform the above procedure, because it is unlikely that
    a new iMac could boot from your hard drive if you installed it in the
    new iMac.

    If you plan to repair the iMac, you can just wait.

    And, of course, you have now learned the reason that people like me
    keep not one, but two, external drives attached to their computers
    (PowerBooks in my case)--for data and/or System backup.

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  6. #6

    In article <google.com>, Robert
    Rolston <net> wrote:

    ....just making sure your iMac doesn't have it's own separate VGA video
    connector - Apple started adding in on to the CRT-iMacs, not sure which
    model... if it did you could attach an external monitor that mirrors
    what's on the iMac's monitor.

    payshunz
    payshunz Guest

  7. #7

    In article <google.com>, net (Robert Rolston) wrote:

    I would suggest that you purchase an external firewire case. Then pull
    out the iMac internal drive, install it in the case (usually just 4
    s, a power connector, and a ribbon cable).

    Then just plug the firewire drive into your new Mac and start copying.

    When you're done with the transfer, you can use the firewire case/drive
    as a small backup drive. Later, buy a cheap 120GB IDE drive on sale and
    plop it into the case. -> BIG backup drive. :-)

    I've run into the cheapo silver firewire cases (ME-320 series) locally
    for about $60-70 at various PeeCee shops. CompUSA sells at least one
    firewire case as well.

    Mailorder options are many including:

    <http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ME-320F>

    which I have personally used in such a fashion (converting an existing
    internal drive with data to an external FW drive).

    --
    Jim Glidewell
    My opinions only