Professional Web Applications Themes

iMac won't boot when anything plugged into USB port - Mac Applications & Software

Great idea... except awfully difficult when I can't use the keyboard or mouse. <stantemple.edu> wrote in message news:bcturn$iv$3cronkite.temple.edu... > Doug <dgeistehotmail.com> wrote: > > I was given an old 233MHz G3 iMac because it wouldn't boot. I found > > that it will boot just fine when nothing is plugged into either USB > > port. If possible, I'd like to give this to my dad to use. > > > Are the USB ports n? I haven't tried another keyboard and mouse, > > but it doesn't seem to be that. > > > Any suggestions appreciated! > > ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: iMac won't boot when anything plugged into USB port

    Great idea... except awfully difficult when I can't use the keyboard or
    mouse.

    <stantemple.edu> wrote in message news:bcturn$iv$3cronkite.temple.edu...
    > Doug <dgeistehotmail.com> wrote:
    > > I was given an old 233MHz G3 iMac because it wouldn't boot. I found
    > > that it will boot just fine when nothing is plugged into either USB
    > > port. If possible, I'd like to give this to my dad to use.
    >
    > > Are the USB ports n? I haven't tried another keyboard and mouse,
    > > but it doesn't seem to be that.
    >
    > > Any suggestions appreciated!
    >
    > You're probably just dealing with a USB software bug. Make sure that
    > you've loaded the latest firmware for your iMac and relevant OS updates.
    > Both are available on Apple's web site.

    Doug Guest

  2. #2

    In article <Y16Ka.6031$vW7.1663129671newssvr10.news.prodigy. com>,
    "Doug" <dgeistehotmail.com> wrote:
    > Great idea... except awfully difficult when I can't use the keyboard or
    > mouse.
    Wait -- you said it won't boot with anything plugged into the USB ports.
    What happens if you boot it up with nothing plugged in, then attach the
    keyboard & mouse (try attaching the mouse to the keyboard so you only
    have to plug one thing into the iMac port; that way if one port is less
    iffy than the other, you'll have an improved shot at this working). USB
    connectors are safe to plug and unplug when the machine is on.

    George Fowler

    George Nospam Guest

  3. #3

    I found out that it boots just fine with nothing plugged into the USB. I've
    tried a different mouse (just the mouse) and it woudn't boot.

    After the machine sat for a couple days, I decided to pull the motherboard,
    and hit the CUDA switch. I put it back together, and it started working...
    until I tried to drag something to the Trash and it froze. After that, it
    started non-booting again.

    I also tried pulling the battery for an hour or so, put it back in, and hit
    CUDA again. Wouldn't boot again.

    The power switch on the front stays orange when it doesn't boot.

    Thanks for the suggestions. Any others very much appreciated.

    Doug

    "George Nospam" <Nospamnospam.net> wrote in message
    > In article <Y16Ka.6031$vW7.1663129671newssvr10.news.prodigy. com>,
    > "Doug" <dgeistehotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Great idea... except awfully difficult when I can't use the keyboard or
    > > mouse.
    >
    > Wait -- you said it won't boot with anything plugged into the USB ports.
    > What happens if you boot it up with nothing plugged in, then attach the
    > keyboard & mouse (try attaching the mouse to the keyboard so you only
    > have to plug one thing into the iMac port; that way if one port is less
    > iffy than the other, you'll have an improved shot at this working). USB
    > connectors are safe to plug and unplug when the machine is on.
    >
    > George Fowler

    Doug Guest

  4. #4

    In article <LjrKa.6139$h17.1724193879newssvr10.news.prodigy. com>,
    "Doug" <dgeistehotmail.com> wrote:

    > "George Nospam" <Nospamnospam.net> wrote in message
    > > In article <Y16Ka.6031$vW7.1663129671newssvr10.news.prodigy. com>,
    > > "Doug" <dgeistehotmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Great idea... except awfully difficult when I can't use the keyboard or
    > > > mouse.
    > >
    > > Wait -- you said it won't boot with anything plugged into the USB ports.
    > > What happens if you boot it up with nothing plugged in, then attach the
    > > keyboard & mouse (try attaching the mouse to the keyboard so you only
    > > have to plug one thing into the iMac port; that way if one port is less
    > > iffy than the other, you'll have an improved shot at this working). USB
    > > connectors are safe to plug and unplug when the machine is on.
    > >
    > > George Fowler
    > >

    > I found out that it boots just fine with nothing plugged into the USB. I've
    > tried a different mouse (just the mouse) and it woudn't boot.
    >
    > After the machine sat for a couple days, I decided to pull the motherboard,
    > and hit the CUDA switch. I put it back together, and it started working...
    > until I tried to drag something to the Trash and it froze. After that, it
    > started non-booting again.
    >
    > I also tried pulling the battery for an hour or so, put it back in, and hit
    > CUDA again. Wouldn't boot again.
    >
    > The power switch on the front stays orange when it doesn't boot.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestions. Any others very much appreciated.
    >
    > Doug
    Can you boot from the OS X installer CD? If so, you may corrupted USB
    drivers or something similar.

    If you can boot from the OS X CD, you could try an "Archive and Install"
    installation. Read the details about this option at
    <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120>.

    --
    Gordon Alley <*>
    <mailto:galleytexas.net>