Professional Web Applications Themes

Imac won't boot, disk utility shows ' invalid node structure ' - Mac Applications & Software

  1. #1

    Default Re: Imac won't boot, disk utility shows ' invalid node structure '

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: [url]http://www.villaintees.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html[/url]

    Tacit Guest

  2. #2

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:02:12 -0500, alvin wrote
    (in message <33nofvg6dn54p8ijsfjsdun7ukd03ig2bk4ax.com>):

    > Hi, this has happened 3 times now, the first we re-installed Mac
    > OS X, 2nd we took it in to get repaired and now we've got it again.
    > Can't boot to the CLI at this point. After running disk utility, we
    > always get the same message ' invalid node structure ' and disk
    > needs to be repaired. Click repair, it goes through and gives the
    > same message. Do we do this over & over until the message finally
    > goes away ? If anyone recognizes this and can help, it would be
    > greatly appreciated. Any help on how to prevent it happening again,
    > or a cause for it would also be of great help. Thanks for your time,
    > it's my daughter's computer, she's getting frustrated...
    >
    > alvin
    You need Disk Warrior or some equiv thereof. There's a _reason_ why Alsoft
    can sell a product which (theoretically) does the same thing as Disk Utility.

    The 'invalid node structure' message means that you have a very serious
    directory problem. Disk Utility may not be able to fix it. If you don't want
    to buy a disk fixer, you can try to fsck-y it... good luck, you'll need it.

    Another method of fixing the problem is very simple: if you have a recent
    backup, reformat the drive and restore from the backup. You _do_ have a
    backup, right?

    --
    We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
    Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to

    Charles Dyer Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 20:37:21 -0500, Charles Dyer
    <charlesdnewsguy.com> wrote:
    >On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:02:12 -0500, alvin wrote
    >(in message <33nofvg6dn54p8ijsfjsdun7ukd03ig2bk4ax.com>):
    >

    >> Hi, this has happened 3 times now, the first we re-installed Mac
    >> OS X, 2nd we took it in to get repaired and now we've got it again.
    >> Can't boot to the CLI at this point. After running disk utility, we
    >> always get the same message ' invalid node structure ' and disk
    >> needs to be repaired. Click repair, it goes through and gives the
    >> same message. Do we do this over & over until the message finally
    >> goes away ? If anyone recognizes this and can help, it would be
    >> greatly appreciated. Any help on how to prevent it happening again,
    >> or a cause for it would also be of great help. Thanks for your time,
    >> it's my daughter's computer, she's getting frustrated...
    >>
    >> alvin
    >
    >You need Disk Warrior or some equiv thereof. There's a _reason_ why Alsoft
    >can sell a product which (theoretically) does the same thing as Disk Utility.
    >
    >The 'invalid node structure' message means that you have a very serious
    >directory problem. Disk Utility may not be able to fix it. If you don't want
    >to buy a disk fixer, you can try to fsck-y it... good luck, you'll need it.
    >
    >Another method of fixing the problem is very simple: if you have a recent
    >backup, reformat the drive and restore from the backup. You _do_ have a
    >backup, right?
    Reformating is what we did the first time, and what the tech likely
    did when my daughter took it in to get looked at, they said it was
    fixed (he referred to it as a software problem, no problems with
    hardware). As I said, it will not boot to the prompt at all either so
    fsck is unreachable. We could reformat, buy Disk Warrior and every
    time it happens go through the same cycle. No idea what is causing it
    since there is very little info given for the error and the Apple
    Knowledge base doesn't address the cause, just the fix. Thanks for
    the help, your efforts are very much appreciated. Not sure yet, but
    my daughter might be returning it to the tech, maybe they can find a
    cause.

    Thanks,

    alvin

    alvin Guest

  4. #4

    alvin <wam_bliNO_SPAM-EMAILS_canada.com> wrote:
    > Hi, this has happened 3 times now
    If this problem has happened three times it is quite likely the drive
    needs to be replaced
    Strider Guest

  5. #5

    Strider <gkarmyrealbox.com> wrote:
    > alvin <wam_bliNO_SPAM-EMAILS_canada.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, this has happened 3 times now
    >
    > If this problem has happened three times it is quite likely the drive
    > needs to be replaced
    Whoa! There's no indication that they've run Disk Warrior, so at this
    point we can't rule out directory problems.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  6. #6

    alvin <wam_bliNO_SPAM-EMAILS_canada.com> wrote:
    > We were told that there were no hardware problems...my daughter has
    > taken it back in, they are currently looking at it again. Disk
    > Warrior is only available by purchase, looks like. Where we live,
    > looks like it would be around $ 120, almost out of range. Would Disk
    > Warrior show the cause for the recurring problem, or fix it, a
    > re-install does that as well.
    Disk Warrior is by far and away the best disk utility available. If
    your problem isn't hardware-related, DW will fix it. Many of us think
    all Mac users should own a copy.

    When you talk of reinstalling, do you mean you've erased the hard drive
    and started over? If so, then that pretty much rules out software
    problems, since you're started with a new directory each time, and it
    does look like the drive should be replaced, regardless of what the
    people at the repair shop tell you.
    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  7. #7

    Mike Rosenberg <mikePOSTTOGROUP.invalid> wrote:
    > Strider <gkarmyrealbox.com> wrote:
    >
    > > alvin <wam_bliNO_SPAM-EMAILS_canada.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi, this has happened 3 times now
    > >
    > > If this problem has happened three times it is quite likely the drive
    > > needs to be replaced
    >
    > Whoa! There's no indication that they've run Disk Warrior, so at this
    > point we can't rule out directory problems.
    He stated this has happened 3 times and the two previous times the drive
    had been wiped. Wiping the drive would have resolved the directory
    problem for that incident. If a drive develops the same directory error
    three times running, an error that cannot be resolved by Apple's Disk
    First Aid, I think we can start looking for hardware issues.
    Strider Guest

  8. #8

    Strider <gkarmyrealbox.com> wrote:
    > He stated this has happened 3 times and the two previous times the drive
    > had been wiped. Wiping the drive would have resolved the directory
    > problem for that incident. If a drive develops the same directory error
    > three times running, an error that cannot be resolved by Apple's Disk
    > First Aid, I think we can start looking for hardware issues.
    Oh, I certainly agree with you, but in his original post he gave no
    indication he had erased the drive at any point. I did subsequently
    find that info in a followup of his.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  9. #9

    > Hmm, suddenly my brain is opening...we re-installed the first
    >time...pretty sure we erased, not just a reinstall. The place we took
    >it to installed 10.2, backing up the previous stuff to a folder - is
    >the drive being erased in this case ?
    No; this is just a reinstall.

    If they had erased the drive, the only thing that would have been on the drive
    when you got it back would have been the system--all your folders, programs,
    and data would have been gone.

    If a disk's directory has a problem, and you reinstall without fixing that
    problem, you don't do yourself any favors--and you may, in fact, make the
    problem worse.

  10. #10

    On 02 Jul 2003 20:56:02 GMT, [email]tacitraol.com[/email] (Tacit) wrote:
    >> Hmm, suddenly my brain is opening...we re-installed the first
    >>time...pretty sure we erased, not just a reinstall. The place we took
    >>it to installed 10.2, backing up the previous stuff to a folder - is
    >>the drive being erased in this case ?
    >
    >No; this is just a reinstall.
    >
    >If they had erased the drive, the only thing that would have been on the drive
    >when you got it back would have been the system--all your folders, programs,
    >and data would have been gone.
    >
    >If a disk's directory has a problem, and you reinstall without fixing that
    >problem, you don't do yourself any favors--and you may, in fact, make the
    >problem worse.
    Just got word that the hard drive needs replacing. Where we are,
    the cheapest new drive we can buy is $ 149 (with tax approx $ 170).
    My daughter isn't too trusting of anything more she'll have to pay for
    with the computer. This is similar

    [url]http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_400_indigo.html[/url]

    though she has 128 MB RAM and a 20 GB hard drive. She's not sure
    of the present value if she would want to sell after the new drive, so
    we're not sure what the next step is.

    Thanks for your help and for taking the time to respond and
    discuss, much appreciated.

    Al
    alvin Guest

  11. #11

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 17:16:02 GMT, alvin
    <gettingwaytoomuchspamcanada.com> wrote:
    >On 02 Jul 2003 20:56:02 GMT, [email]tacitraol.com[/email] (Tacit) wrote:
    >
    >>> Hmm, suddenly my brain is opening...we re-installed the first
    >>>time...pretty sure we erased, not just a reinstall. The place we took
    >>>it to installed 10.2, backing up the previous stuff to a folder - is
    >>>the drive being erased in this case ?
    >>
    >>No; this is just a reinstall.
    >>
    >>If they had erased the drive, the only thing that would have been on the drive
    >>when you got it back would have been the system--all your folders, programs,
    >>and data would have been gone.
    >>
    >>If a disk's directory has a problem, and you reinstall without fixing that
    >>problem, you don't do yourself any favors--and you may, in fact, make the
    >>problem worse.
    >
    > Just got word that the hard drive needs replacing. Where we are,
    >the cheapest new drive we can buy is $ 149 (with tax approx $ 170).
    >My daughter isn't too trusting of anything more she'll have to pay for
    >with the computer. This is similar
    >
    > [url]http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_400_indigo.html[/url]
    >
    > though she has 128 MB RAM and a 20 GB hard drive. She's not sure
    >of the present value if she would want to sell after the new drive, so
    >we're not sure what the next step is.
    >
    > Thanks for your help and for taking the time to respond and
    >discuss, much appreciated.
    >
    > Al
    Given that you can walk into any CompUSA/BestBuy/etc and get a drive,
    why not just buy a 40GB IDE drive that commonly goes on sale for $30
    at one of those local merchants? Fry's has it for $29 right now.

    $150 for a drive is outrageous unless it's a 200GB monstrosity, but I
    doubt the iMac would support it.
    foo Guest

  12. #12

    On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 14:35:05 -0400, [email]mikePOSTTOGROUP.inva[/email]lid (Mike
    Rosenberg) wrote:
    >alvin <gettingwaytoomuchspamcanada.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Just got word that the hard drive needs replacing. Where we are,
    >> the cheapest new drive we can buy is $ 149 (with tax approx $ 170).
    >
    >$149 for a 20 GB hard drive??! They're readily available for around
    >US$60, which as of today is only $80 Canadian. If that price doesn't
    >include the installation, you're being ripped off.
    Any idea if this system would be able to use a Quantum Fireball
    LM15 720 RPM drive ? The guy at the shop said it should be a 5400 RPM
    drive or under, does that make sense ? The $ 149 was for a 40 GB
    drive, sorry about that. I have the Quantum available to use, but am
    not sure if the system will use it, sure hope so.

    Thanks,

    Al

    alvin Guest

  13. #13

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 20:04:25 GMT, foo <foobar.com> wrote:
    >On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 17:16:02 GMT, alvin
    ><gettingwaytoomuchspamcanada.com> wrote:

    >>>No; this is just a reinstall.
    >>>
    >>>If they had erased the drive, the only thing that would have been on the drive
    >>>when you got it back would have been the system--all your folders, programs,
    >>>and data would have been gone.
    >>>
    >>>If a disk's directory has a problem, and you reinstall without fixing that
    >>>problem, you don't do yourself any favors--and you may, in fact, make the
    >>>problem worse.
    >>
    >> Just got word that the hard drive needs replacing. Where we are,
    >>the cheapest new drive we can buy is $ 149 (with tax approx $ 170).
    >>My daughter isn't too trusting of anything more she'll have to pay for
    >>with the computer. This is similar
    >>
    >> [url]http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_400_indigo.html[/url]
    >>
    >> though she has 128 MB RAM and a 20 GB hard drive. She's not sure
    >>of the present value if she would want to sell after the new drive, so
    >>we're not sure what the next step is.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help and for taking the time to respond and
    >>discuss, much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Al
    >
    >Given that you can walk into any CompUSA/BestBuy/etc and get a drive,
    >why not just buy a 40GB IDE drive that commonly goes on sale for $30
    >at one of those local merchants? Fry's has it for $29 right now.
    >
    >$150 for a drive is outrageous unless it's a 200GB monstrosity, but I
    >doubt the iMac would support it.
    Any idea if this system would be able to use a Quantum Fireball
    LM15 720 RPM drive ? The guy at the shop said it should be a 5400 RPM
    drive or under, does that make sense ? The $ 149 was for a 40 GB
    drive, sorry about that. I have the Quantum available to use, but am
    not sure if the system will use it, sure hope so.

    Thanks,

    Al

    I'm in Canada, the best price I have seen around where I live is a

    30 Gb 2Mb 7200 Rpm Maxtor Ata 133 for $ 86, we just opened a
    BestBuy here, haven't gotten there yet, the
    [url]http://www.bestbuycanada.ca/[/url] website doesn't have any prices.

    alvin Guest

  14. #14

    Bev A. Kupf <bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote:
    > I think that is the basis of his advice to use 5400 rpm (or slower)
    > drives. I also think his advice is a bunch of bunk.
    And even if it's not bunk (although I agree with you that it is), a 5400
    rpm drive should be less expensive than a 7200 rpm model anyway.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  15. #15

    On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 19:15:12 -0400,
    Mike Rosenberg (mikePOSTTOGROUP.invalid) wrote:
    > Bev A. Kupf <bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote:
    >
    >> I think that is the basis of his advice to use 5400 rpm (or slower)
    >> drives. I also think his advice is a bunch of bunk.
    >
    > And even if it's not bunk (although I agree with you that it is), a 5400
    > rpm drive should be less expensive than a 7200 rpm model anyway.
    Agreed. At our local outlet, a 40GB Maxtor 5400 rpm drive is $72.19
    (Fireball3), while the equivalent 7200 rpm drive (DiamondMax Plus8) is
    $74.55

    Even converting to Canadian prices that is a heck of a lot cheaper than
    what Alvin was quoted.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev's House of Pancakes

  16. #16

    On 4 Jul 2003 23:50:03 GMT, "Bev A. Kupf"
    <bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote:
    >On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 19:15:12 -0400,
    > Mike Rosenberg (mikePOSTTOGROUP.invalid) wrote:
    >> Bev A. Kupf <bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I think that is the basis of his advice to use 5400 rpm (or slower)
    >>> drives. I also think his advice is a bunch of bunk.
    >>
    >> And even if it's not bunk (although I agree with you that it is), a 5400
    >> rpm drive should be less expensive than a 7200 rpm model anyway.
    >
    >Agreed. At our local outlet, a 40GB Maxtor 5400 rpm drive is $72.19
    >(Fireball3), while the equivalent 7200 rpm drive (DiamondMax Plus8) is
    >$74.55
    >
    >Even converting to Canadian prices that is a heck of a lot cheaper than
    >what Alvin was quoted.
    >
    >Bev
    There are some cheaper places in Canada to buy equipment, but I
    usually get green when I see prices like that. Even for blank CDR
    media, I'm usually there if I can get 50 for $ 25, the lowest I have
    seen Japanese Taiyo Yudens is $ 35 for 50. I know of someone who has
    a new (oem ?) 30 GB drive for $ 76 (2 MB cache), lowest I have seen.
    The original price quoted to me was from the only all - Mac store in
    our city, prices are usually higher there. I may be able to get a
    used 20 GB drive (7200 rpm) that I could put in the Imac. Anyone like
    to comment on how easy / hard it is to open the case and replace the
    drive ? Or would that would be like anything else, seems daunting but
    when you do it (after the blue in the air clears) it was much easier
    than expected ? Looking at a couple of online sites here, they don't
    even list a 5400 rpm drive.

    Thanks,

    Al

    alvin Guest

  17. #17

    alvin <gettingwaytoomuchspamcanada.com> wrote:
    > On 4 Jul 2003 23:50:03 GMT, "Bev A. Kupf"
    > <bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote:
    >
    > >On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 19:15:12 -0400,
    > > Mike Rosenberg (mikePOSTTOGROUP.invalid) wrote:

    > >> And even if it's not bunk (although I agree with you that it is), a 5400
    > >> rpm drive should be less expensive than a 7200 rpm model anyway.
    > >
    > >Agreed. At our local outlet, a 40GB Maxtor 5400 rpm drive is $72.19
    > >(Fireball3), while the equivalent 7200 rpm drive (DiamondMax Plus8) is
    > >$74.55
    > >
    > >Even converting to Canadian prices that is a heck of a lot cheaper than
    > >what Alvin was quoted.
    > >
    > >Bev
    >
    > There are some cheaper places in Canada to buy equipment, but I
    > usually get green when I see prices like that. Even for blank CDR
    > media, I'm usually there if I can get 50 for $ 25, the lowest I have
    > seen Japanese Taiyo Yudens is $ 35 for 50. I know of someone who has
    > a new (oem ?) 30 GB drive for $ 76 (2 MB cache), lowest I have seen.
    > The original price quoted to me was from the only all - Mac store in
    > our city, prices are usually higher there. I may be able to get a
    > used 20 GB drive (7200 rpm) that I could put in the Imac. Anyone like
    > to comment on how easy / hard it is to open the case and replace the
    > drive ? Or would that would be like anything else, seems daunting but
    > when you do it (after the blue in the air clears) it was much easier
    > than expected ? Looking at a couple of online sites here, they don't
    > even list a 5400 rpm drive.

    I'm assuming we are talking a colorful iMac? I've done drive
    replacements on the original Bondi blue and later slot loading machines.
    The job is finicky but not really hard - until it comes to putting the
    computer back together again.

    Use Google to do a search on iMac hard drive replacement. You'll find
    several sites that include pictures of the job.

    Basically, with the iMac sitting on its screen (put a couple towels down
    on the work surface) take the case apart, disconnect a couple wires, and
    pull the innards (don't you like technical terms?) up and out of the
    plastic case. Pay very very close attention to how the innards are
    arranged because you have to get them back that way!! If you have a
    digital camera, have some one taking pictures over your shoulder as you
    lift it out. Seriously, getting it back in is the hardest part of the
    job.

    After lifing out the innards you take off a wire cage, remove the drive
    power cable and IDE cable, disconnect the drive, plug in the new drive,
    and put it all back together again. If you have a slot loading machine
    you'll immediately get to see if you got the innards lined up right.
    Does the boot CD go in? Dang it!! Take appart and reseat!

    Anyway, boot the computer with the system CD, use Disk Utilities to
    format the drive and reinstall the OS.

    The first time I did this it took me 45 minutes - I took my time paying
    close attention and drawing pictures as I took it apart. And it took me
    about 10 minutes to get the drive/logic board assembly mounted into the
    case properly. The second one took me 10 minutes.
    Strider Guest

  18. #18

    alvin <gettingwaytoomuchspamcanada.com> wrote:

    [big snip]

    > Thanks for this Stridr, very much appreciated, am doing the Google
    > search. So far my biggest problem is getting it apart...not a good
    > start :-) Took out 2 s underneath, but can't figure out how &
    > where to seperate the machine. Googling, but haven't found pix yet,
    > they will be very handy. Much appreciated.
    Sorry - I should have mentioned [url]http://www.theimac.com[/url]

    You should find everything you need there.
    Strider Guest

  19. #19

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 15:53:59 GMT, [email]striderspymac.com[/email] (Strider) wrote:
    >alvin <gettingwaytoomuchspamcanada.com> wrote:
    >
    >[big snip]
    >

    >> Thanks for this Stridr, very much appreciated, am doing the Google
    >> search. So far my biggest problem is getting it apart...not a good
    >> start :-) Took out 2 s underneath, but can't figure out how &
    >> where to seperate the machine. Googling, but haven't found pix yet,
    >> they will be very handy. Much appreciated.
    >
    >Sorry - I should have mentioned [url]http://www.theimac.com[/url]
    >
    >You should find everything you need there.
    The strange thing is (was delayed on this for medical reasons)
    that it refers to ' removing the 4 cables that ar connected to the CPU
    chasis '. There are no exposed cables when I pry the cover off, there
    is a metallic cover (?) that has about 6 s holding it's edges to
    the inside. Not sure if this is supposed to be removed or whether I'm
    going to make a bigger and bigger mess. Definitely not designed for
    the user to do anything except replace the RAM from the looks of it.
    My only alternative to removing s and taking piece after piece
    off and unhooking would be to take it in and for $ 70 hope that they
    will install a 7200 RPM drive. Hard to believe.

    alvin Guest

  20. #20

    alvin <gettingwaytoomuchspamcanada.com> wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 15:53:59 GMT, [email]striderspymac.com[/email] (Strider) wrote:
    >
    > >alvin <gettingwaytoomuchspamcanada.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >[big snip]
    > >

    > >> Thanks for this Stridr, very much appreciated, am doing the Google
    > >> search. So far my biggest problem is getting it apart...not a good
    > >> start :-) Took out 2 s underneath, but can't figure out how &
    > >> where to seperate the machine. Googling, but haven't found pix yet,
    > >> they will be very handy. Much appreciated.
    > >
    > >Sorry - I should have mentioned [url]http://www.theimac.com[/url]
    > >
    > >You should find everything you need there.
    >
    > The strange thing is (was delayed on this for medical reasons)
    > that it refers to ' removing the 4 cables that ar connected to the CPU
    > chasis '. There are no exposed cables when I pry the cover off, there
    > is a metallic cover (?) that has about 6 s holding it's edges to
    > the inside. Not sure if this is supposed to be removed or whether I'm
    > going to make a bigger and bigger mess. Definitely not designed for
    > the user to do anything except replace the RAM from the looks of it.
    > My only alternative to removing s and taking piece after piece
    > off and unhooking would be to take it in and for $ 70 hope that they
    > will install a 7200 RPM drive. Hard to believe.
    The metal screen is for RFI. It comes off and then you'll see the
    chassis.
    Strider Guest