Professional Web Applications Themes

iMac won't boot, need help!!! - Mac Applications & Software

Here's my problem - I left my iMac unattended while downloading e-mail. When I returned, the screen was black and the system unresponsive. Since then I have tried several times to power it up. 9 times out of 10, all I get is the start-up chord and a black screen. But every once in a while it will give me a light grey screen with a smiling Mac icon in the center (after the chord). I have already tried clearing the PRAM and botting from CD with no luck. It is an older iMac with tray-loading CD. In recent months ...

  1. #1

    Default iMac won't boot, need help!!!

    Here's my problem - I left my iMac unattended while downloading
    e-mail. When I returned, the screen was black and the system
    unresponsive. Since then I have tried several times to power it up. 9
    times out of 10, all I get is the start-up chord and a black screen.
    But every once in a while it will give me a light grey screen with a
    smiling Mac icon in the center (after the chord). I have already tried
    clearing the PRAM and botting from CD with no luck.

    It is an older iMac with tray-loading CD. In recent months we have
    upgraded the RAM (put 128 megs in the lower slot), upgraded to OS 9.2
    (from 8.5, I think), and added a USB hub & a scanner.

    I am not afraid of opening it up and changing parts, but my budget is
    tight and I can't go buying parts to swap out only to find the problem
    is elsewhere. I am willing to go to a Mac repair center, but I can't
    seem to find a list of
    Apple techs. Not even apple.com tells me where they are. I assume that
    the retail Apple Stores offer repair service, but the closest one is
    over three hours away.

    So, can anybody offer me any repair tips, or direct me to the nearest
    Mac tech? (I live in Texarkana, TX)

    Smedley
    Daniel Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: iMac won't boot, need help!!!

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Daniel A. Mazurowski) wrote:

    Try removing the new RAM. If that works, you need to run a firmware
    upgrade on the new RAM. You can probably get that upgrade through
    versiontracker, but I would suggest returning the RAM and getting more
    up to date RAM.

    --Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  3. #3

    >It is an older iMac with tray-loading CD. In recent months we have

    Did you by any chance add a bigger hard drive? If you have a hard drive larger
    than 8 GB in a tray-loading iMac, you must partition the drive so that the
    first physical partition is smaller than 8GB, and the operating system must be
    in that first partition.

    Have you tried disconnecting all your USB devices (even keyboard and mouse)
    when you have problems? A malfunctioning USB device can cause the problem you
    describe.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  4. #4

    >Try removing the new RAM. If that works, you need to run a firmware

    A "firmware upgrade" updates the boot program stored in the Mac's ROM. It
    doesn't "upgrade RAM."

    I think you were thinking of the bad batch of PC100 RAM that made it onto the
    market a few years back; this RAM would not work in some Mac models with some
    firmware, because it did not meet the PC100 specification. A program called
    "DIMM First Aid" could fix the problem on some of this RAM, but the RAM in
    question hasn't been on the market in quite a while.

  5. #5

    In article <aol.com>,
    com (Tacit) wrote:

    > A "firmware upgrade" updates the boot program stored in the Mac's
    > ROM. It doesn't "upgrade RAM."
    >
    > I think you were thinking of the bad batch of PC100 RAM that made it
    > onto the market a few years back; this RAM would not work in some Mac
    > models with some firmware, because it did not meet the PC100
    > specification. A program called "DIMM First Aid" could fix the
    > problem on some of this RAM,[/ref]

    And the part of the RAM that was fixed can loosely be called firmware.

    He didn't say when he added the RAM.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  6. #6

    com (Tacit) wrote in message news:<aol.com>...

    > Did you by any chance add a bigger hard drive?[/ref]

    I wish. ;) Thanks for the heads up on the partition info, I am
    considering a new HD later this year.

    I have disconnected everything BUT the keyboard and mouse, I'll try
    that next. I'll let you know what happens.

    Smedley
    Daniel Guest

  7. #7

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Daniel A. Mazurowski) wrote:

    I would try replacing the battery. It's not very expensive and has
    solved non-booting problems quite often. It is hard to get at though.
    You have to take the back end off to find it. You hd to do that to
    install the memory too.
    Kathy Guest

  8. #8

    The only one I know of locally who has has a lot of experience is Greg
    Saulsbury www.txk.net.

    903-794-4638 Ask for Greg or Jason.
    HTH

    Kathy <com> wrote in message news:<visi.com>...

    > I would try replacing the battery. It's not very expensive and has
    > solved non-booting problems quite often. It is hard to get at though.
    > You have to take the back end off to find it. You hd to do that to
    > install the memory too.[/ref]
    Charles Guest

  9. #9

    > It is an older iMac with tray-loading CD. In recent months we have

    Here is a site that points to the service manual. Get it before it
    disappears.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/manuals.html

    I'd try opening up the iMac and disconnecting the harddrive and see if
    you can boot up from the cd-rom drive.

    If this doesn't work, remove what you can.
    - memory
    - cd-rom drive and try to boot from harddrive.

    Robert
    Robert Guest

  10. #10

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 2:43:15 +0100, Tacit wrote:

    > A "firmware upgrade" updates the boot program stored in the Mac's ROM. It
    > doesn't "upgrade RAM."[/ref]

    I second that solution.
    You've upgraded the OS to 9.2, on an old iMac, and this will certainly cause
    major problems without a firmware upgrade.

    Hopefully when you manage to get it to bootup, install a version of 8.6 on
    the iMac again, boot into that, and hopefully you should be able to launch
    the firmware upgrade with that. Please follow the instructions to the letter,
    otherwise it may never bootup again!

    --
    Regards,
    Micheal Hutchison

    Mike Guest

  11. #11

    Okay, an battery option is the first in my book.

    Take the battery out
    connect the two parts the battery was in with a wire.
    (Not the battery but the battery-holder in your mac)
    Hold this for 10 seconds
    Place the battery back as it belongs
    Start your computer

    My experience is that most machines start up as new.
    When there are probs in your piram this is the most absolute way to get rid
    of that.
    The same would happen when you would take the battery out for a couple of
    days .. but the wire thing shortens this to the minimum..

    Make shure not to static the machine or wire anything else.

    The procedure can be done in a few minutes.

    Good Luck

    Kay

    --
    Design & Authoring
    [ Danda] [ D&A] | New Media Solutions | New Media Development

    Bezoek de Websites voor meer informatie:

    HOOFDSITE
    http://www.danda.nl

    DATABASEPRODUCTEN
    http://www.digital-software.nl
    http://www.bizz-software.com

    PORTFOLIO SITE
    http://www.digital-media.nl

    CONTACTINFORMATIE
    tel. +31(0)73 6446119 / b.g.g. +31(0)6 22985410
    fax +31(0)73 6415878

    Kay Guest

  12. #12

    Oh !

    trie starting up with the option key down; this will invoke a menu where you
    can choose your startupdisk if there is any ..
    After that you can trie the battery option

    Kay