Professional Web Applications Themes

Image help - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

Hi, I'm trying to build a website in Contribute but having problems with images. I'm a bit of a novice at this so am probably making a novice-like mistake! The text is fine as you will see, but when trying to use images from my computer the images appear in my draft but then disappear when I publish the page. All you can see is a gray frame. I've tried PNGs, GIFs, JPEGs but none seem to work. Then when I go back to the editor, the images have gone, replaced by boxes containing question marks. I'm begining to go ...

  1. #1

    Default Image help

    Hi,

    I'm trying to build a website in Contribute but having problems with images.
    I'm a bit of a novice at this so am probably making a novice-like mistake!

    The text is fine as you will see, but when trying to use images from my
    computer the images appear in my draft but then disappear when I publish the
    page. All you can see is a gray frame. I've tried PNGs, GIFs, JPEGs but none
    seem to work. Then when I go back to the editor, the images have gone, replaced
    by boxes containing question marks.

    I'm begining to go a bit mad with this as nothing I do seems to work. You can
    see the page for yourself at www.ellisharrietclark.org.

    Any help would be gratefully received!

    Cheers,

    James

    Fuller_Man Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Image help

    I know of a similar case where the image-names were causing this kind of
    trouble.
    Try not to use special characters and/or spaces in the image names. Replace
    spaces with underscores f.i.
    Furthermore this is sometimes causes by corrupted files, but I can't imagene
    all your files are corrupted.

    ThinkInk Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks ThinkInk.

    The image names are pretty standard 'Logo_On_White' for example. I'll try
    removing the underscores...

    However I have noticed something odd is going on.

    If I go to to the main page... www.ellisharrietclark.com then no images appear.
    However, if I go to... www.ellisharrietclark.com/index.htm then the top two
    images DO appear??

    I've looked at the difference between those appearing and those not and for
    some reason the appearing images have a far shorter file name than the
    non-appearing...

    The logo for example has a file name of 'images/logo_on_white.png'

    Wheras those which don't appear have a really long route such as...
    'file:///Macintosh HD/Users/James/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Contribute
    CS4/en_US/Sites/Site2AssetsTemp/Menu_Ellis.png'

    This must be why one is appearing but I have no idea how I've done this!

    Fuller_Man Guest

  4. #4

    For starters don't burden yourself removing the underscores, they don't give
    any trouble.

    I think your url is www.ellisharrietclark.org and not
    www.ellisharrietclark.com, is that correct?

    You have two indexfiles on the server: www.ellisharrietclark.org/index.html
    (images not OK) and www.ellisharrietclark.org/index.htm (images look OK).

    Problem is that the first file a webbrowser will display when you type
    www.ellisharrietclark.org in your addressbar is
    www.ellisharrietclark.org/index.html. You should remove the file index.html
    from your server and every browser will find index.htm as the first file.

    In Contribute you should check the admin settings to make sure that you have
    the right homepage assighned to your role (>Main menu>Edit>Administer
    websites>Users and Roles>Edit role settings>adjust the proper setting on that
    screen)

    ThinkInk Guest

  5. #5

    Opps, sorry yes, the site is .org not .com.

    I have ensured that I edit the .htm page which is the default and I have
    checked and .htm sits higher than .html in the order of index files. So why it
    defaults to .html I don't know... I can't delete the .html file from the FTP as
    I dont have sufficient permission, I'm not sure who would have that permission
    unfortunately.

    Unfortunately the gradual appearance of the images on the .htm page has
    stopped at three. Oh well, at least there are three!

    I guess I'll keep playing around with them until I get lucky and work out
    what's going on.

    Thanks for all your help ThinkInk.

    Fuller_Man Guest

  6. #6

    Reaction on:
    I have ensured that I edit the .htm page which is the default and I have
    checked and .htm sits higher than .html in the order of index files. So why it
    defaults to .html I don't know... I can't delete the .html file from the FTP as
    I dont have sufficient permission, I'm not sure who would have that permission
    unfortunately.

    is:
    I think this has nothing to do with Contribute. It's the browser that opens
    index.html before index.htm.

    Have your tried deleting the file in Contribute or an other ftp-program? Do
    you have delete rights set in Contribute (>Main menu>Edit>Administer
    websites>Users and Roles>Edit role settings>Folder/File access)?

    ThinkInk Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for your help ThinkInk, it's been a long day but I finally got there.
    It's not perfect but I promised my friend I would get something up and It's
    looking like the pictures we originally drew so I'm pleased.

    Who knows why but it all suddenly started working so thank you for all your
    assistance and suggestions. One of them did the trick although I can't tell you
    which!

    Cheers,

    James

    Fuller_Man Guest

  8. #8

    > Thanks for your help ThinkInk, it's been a long day but I finally got

    It didn't have anything to do with the .htm vs the .html, but rather the
    answer is in your second post - 'file://Macintosh HD/...' this is a path to
    a file on your computer, not the server. All your paths should simply be
    'images/pic.jpg'

    Why Contribute was using a local file path I don't know.

    Bruce

    bruce_code Guest