Professional Web Applications Themes

image/object along path - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hello! Having text follow a path is ok but I cannot make an object or a picture follow a path as well. If I had a lot of images, say of beercans. I want all of these to follow a path of a circle so I get a perfect circle of beercans. Is that posible? thanks!...

  1. #1

    Default image/object along path

    otto_nelson@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: image/object along path

    Otto, try with a brush; see helpfile under Index>Brushes for choice of brush type and instructions, and take it from there.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Otto,

    Do you mean a bunch of copies of the same beer can, or a whole bunch of different brands of beer cans?

    A scatter brush is the best choice for the first situation. Placing lots of different objects along a path is harder, and there is no really simple straightforward way, although there are workarounds. I can give an example of some ways to do it if that's what you want, but since you might have the easier case for which a scatter brush will suffice, I will wait until I hear from you.
    Teri Guest

  4. #4

    Hello again!

    Thanks for your replies.

    First I looked under information of brushes and I see I can make a Pattern Brush that would follow the path really nicely.

    But, the thing is that I really want two different things.
    First, I want a lot of different beercans to follow one path.

    Secondly, I want text and pictures both along another path.
    Something like "hello, this is a [picture of a beercan] beercan"

    I hope you guys understand what I mean. I just don't know how I can use both a picture and text, together, to follow one single path.

    Thanks for all help!
    Otto Nelson
    otto_nelson@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    You could do up to 99, but they'd have to be bottles. On the wall.
    Bert Guest

  6. #6

    Hey Bert!

    What do you mean?
    And why do they have to be bottles? doesn't that depent on what shows on the picture I want to align along the path?

    I don't understand what you mean?
    otto_nelson@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Otto:

    I think the most straightforward way to accomplish what you want, assuming you want different cans in an upright position to be distributed around a circle, is to make a guide and place the cans individually. Here is an exercise to illustrate the method.

    Select the Polar grid tool (click and hold the line tool and pick the right most tool) and click the artboard.

    Fill in 360pts for W and H (5 inches), set Concentric dividers= 0 and Radial Dividers=10> OK and you will have a 10 can guide.

    Turn on Smart Guides (Ctrl + U, or View menu), bring up the Attributes Pallete (Window menu) and make sure Show Center is checked (middle left), and then draw a rectangle to represent an upright beer can.

    Direct Select (white arrow) the can and click drag the center dot over the grid until Smart Guides says "anchor" where a radial crosses the circle. Do this holding the Alt key so you make a copy. Repeat around the circle.

    Select the oval tool, position it over the center of the grid until you see anchor and Shift + Alt + drag a circle larger than the can circle.

    Delete the grid. Pick the Type on a Path tool and click the outer circle and type your message.

    Bert's comment was a humorous reference to a drinking song, Google it.

    steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Otto:

    Sorry, I figured you might know the song. It goes something like this:

    99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer, take one down, pass it around, 98 bottles of beer on the wall;

    98 bottles of beer on the wall, 98 bottles of beer, take one down, pass it around, 97 bottles of beer on the wall;

    97 bottles of beer on the wall, 97 bottles of beer, take one down, pass it around, 96 bottles of beer on the wall;

    Etcetera.
    Bert Guest

  9. #9

    I hope you guys understand what I mean.

    I do.

    JET
    James_Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Cute picture JET.

    Maybe because InDesign has about three times the number of engineers and six times the number of quality engineers that Illustrator has? (Easily verifiable by watching the scrolling credits on the About boxes.) It's just -y.
    Teri Guest

  11. #11

    Ok, sorry Bert... =)

    Ok, Stephen, what if I want the cans to be all pointed at the center? is there some function that can handle that?
    That question also goes to inDesign. James, are your s and stuff pointing at the center or are the all the same, following the path as the picture is?

    Also, for my curved line, I have two "centres" I want the beercans to point at. Is that posible, either with adobe or inDesign.

    Sorry but I've never used inDesign. Ive heard of it but I've never tried it. What's the big differens? Are they both vectorbased?

    Thanks!
    Otto Nelson
    otto_nelson@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    <http://www.bugge.com/Family-and-friends/Illy/Images/illy-ale-point.gif>

    <http://www.bugge.com/Family-and-friends/Illy/Images/illy-ale-garland.gif>
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Maybe because InDesign has about three times the number of engineers and
    six times the number of quality engineers...

    Hmmm. I wonder how many staffers FreeHand, Canvas, Draw and Designer have? ;-)

    James, are your s and stuff pointing at the center or are the all
    the same, following the path as the picture is?

    Your choice. In InD, an inline graphic is initially oriented to the path. So if the bolt is oriented vertically when you copy it, it is vertical to the baseline when pasted into the text. So you can either rotate it before copying/pasting into the pathType or you can selet and rotate it after.

    The same functionality is in FH, but is smoother and quicker to manipulate on curvey paths. The inline graphic initially pastes scaled to the capheight of the text. It behaves as if it's a piece of text, abiding by character size, leading, baseline shift, etc. (In InD, you can apply baseline shift and other settings, too; it initially pastes at 100% and you can manipulate it individually, which is the appropriate treatment for a page-layout program.)

    JET
    James_E._Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Nicely done Jacob!
    And I guess it is possible to combine that with text?

    JET, as I see it, you really recomend inD. And there and object along a path will be treated as if it was a piece og text? It can be oriented to whatever point or direction I want.

    I think I'll try out inD for a change. Might just be back if I can't figure it out =)

    Thanks!
    Otto Nelson
    otto_nelson@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    JET, as I see it, you really recomend inD.

    Well, I heartily recommend InD for its appropriate uses. I was just making the point that support for graphics inline with text needs to be built into Illustrator, and pointing out the irony that it is included in Adobe's page-layout program but missing in Illustrator. I'm not recommending you use InD as an illustration program instead of Illustrator.

    If you have InD handy, and you're working in Illustrator when you need some spot graphics inserted inline with text on a pathType object, it's possible to copy the art items over to InD, create the pathType object there, adn then copy/paste the whole thing back to Illustrator. But it will come in as a group of separate objects, not as a live and editable pathType object.

  16. #16

    Oh, and Bert, the song I know is about green bottles which may
    fall from the wall
    one by one.

    And Otto, sorry, I forgot the text, and the bent bottles:

    <http://www.bugge.com/Family-and-friends/Illy/Images/illy-ale-point-text.gif>

    <http://www.bugge.com/Family-and-friends/Illy/Images/illy-ale-necklace.gif>
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Allright!

    Sorry guys, I might just be another noob but I really don't understand how Im supposed to do this.
    So, Can anyone help me with combining text and an object along a circular path?

    Thanks!
    Otto
    otto_nelson@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    OK Jacob, you are up. The only way I know to have individual bottles (cans) on a path oriented to the center, and text too, is to do each piece separately. Otto, I don't know what you mean by a path with two centers. An ellipse has two foci, but I don't know how to draw one in Illustrator and define them. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Otto,

    To have different bottles, and oneliners between, you can:

    1. Make one circle and cut it in suitable parts (you may use Add Anchor Points and simple cuts to get the desired divisions, I just used Add Anchor Points in post #15),
    2. Apply bottles to the bottle parts,
    3. Apply text, adjusting to fit the bottles nicely.

    To have more lines of text between the bottles, you can use the alternative 3+4:

    3. Copy the text part of the circle, scaling down+moving down and scaling up+moving up (I used 90% and 110% in post #15 to get the 3 lines).
    4. Apply text, adjusting to fit the bottles nicely.

    The second circle part set in post #15 is just filled with one artbrush, bending to follow the circle. That was what I meant by choosing a brush type.

    Edit: Hi Steve, this time you are at least 1/1 right.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Jacob, how are you adding different bottles to each segment. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast