Professional Web Applications Themes

image placing...what am i doing wrong? - Adobe Indesign Windows

yes and no. i'm using a feature in roboscreencapture that is defined as 'capture active window'....which once i hit ctrl+shift+A, i get the active window automatically saved as a TIFF at the settings listed above. no cropping necessary....

Sponsored Links

Default Re: image placing...what am i doing wrong?

yes and no. i'm using a feature in roboscreencapture that is defined as 'capture active window'....which once i hit ctrl+shift+A, i get the active window automatically saved as a TIFF at the settings listed above. no cropping necessary.
    Sponsored Links
    keith_robideau@adobeforums.com Guest

hmmm in the screencapture software there's a box that was unchecked called 'scale image'...seems i can set it (if activated) to scale in either pixels or a 'scale factor'.

Ooh. I see.

just a 'drag/drop' from a windows explorer session to the open copy in
    indesign.

There's your problem. You should be getting these into InDesign with the "Place" command. You need to create an actual link from the TIFF to the InDesign layout. the drag-drop is putting a low-res screen preview into your doent.
    Greg_Gaspard@adobeforums.com Guest

no i've been using 'place' and had just decided to start dragging and dropping. same issue with the file>place command. i wish it were that simple...

Ah, "Windows" Explorer. My lizard brain read that as "Internet" Explorer. My bad.

I'd try capturing at the exact size and resolution you need for your final placement. If the software will let you do that, let it do its work. Figure out your size and your desired resolution, and let it do its thing. Just be warned that you will be resampling. I'm unfamiliar with this screen capture software so I can't vouch for the quality of its resampling. The best way to ensure image fidelity is to capture unscaled (1 pixel=1 pixel), and place and scale in InDesign.
    Greg_Gaspard@adobeforums.com Guest

Yes, the best course is to do next to nothing to the screen capture. Don't ask it to resample. Don't let it jpg compress. Just capture to tiff and place command into Indy. Set Indy's display quality to High Quality. When you print, make sure to send ALL graphics data; not subsampled. There is little reason to resize in PS, altho you could. Just don't do any resizing in Photoshop with the RESAMPLE on. Bad.

What are you printing proofs on?

Mike Witherell
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

The bottom line here is what you get is all there is. If you are capturing a
    screen that's 1,024 pixels wide you will only ever have 1,024 pixels, and at
    300 ppi you're going to get an image that's 34 in wide. If you want it 68
    inches wide, you're going to get it at 150 ppi.

The rule of thumb is to set your monitor at its highest possible resolution,
    and if you only want part of a screen image, zoom until that part fills the
    screen and so is made up of the maximum number of pixels.

k

Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

It is, you're just making it complicated. :-)

I use a different screen cap tool, but it grabs the screen (or active
    window) and makes a tiff at the same color depth as the screen. That file is
    directly placed into ID, I don't touch it with anything. The image is not
    going to get better no matter what you do.

BTW, I use CapturEze. Simple and works like a champ. Alternatively, just use
    the PrintScreen or Alt-PrintScreen key and paste into Photoshop, saving out
    as an LZW tiff. Don't tweak the image at all...DON'T mess with image size,
    just save it and place it.

It really is that easy.

-John O

JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

ken, perhaps i'm missing something obvious here (sure seems like it eh?) but how are you zooming in on a specific application to capture just a specific region of a screen? are you in say EXCEL or WORD and just doing a basic zoom maginification? the software i'm snagging screens from has no zoom capabilities inherent.

thanks

keith

"are you in say EXCEL or WORD and just doing a basic zoom maginification?"

Yes. But you haven't said - I don't think - what you are actually capturing
    from screen. Other programmes will also allow you to zoom. If your
    application won't, you at least need to display it at the highest resolution
    you can - except, perhaps, if you are capturing dialogue boxes and the like
    which are also at a fixed pixel size.

I haven't used screen capture software for around 15 years. I haven't had
    any need beyond what PrintScreen and open in a graphics programme would
    achieve.

k

thanks for all of your help everybody...if anybody needs to cull advice from this thread it's this (so far as i can tell):

crank your resolution on your screen (for screen captures) to the maximum. don't resize anything in any application other than indesign.

when you do need to resize an image after placing it into ID, simply press CTRL + SHIFT and at the same time drag the image down to a 'sane' or 'suitable' size. the CTRL/SHIFT combo resizes the frame and image to scale.

did this throughout one of the chapters i'm working on and c'est magnifique.

thanks again.

keith

Ken, you wrote:

The bottom line here is what you get is all there is. If you are capturing
    a screen that's 1,024 pixels wide you will only ever have 1,024 pixels,

That is correct. Monitor screens can benefit from setting the resolution higher, say beginning from 800 x 600 increased to 1024 x 768. That would give more pixels in a screen capture. But bear in mind that he is not capturing screens, he is capturing dialog boxes...

and at 300 ppi you're going to get an image that's 34 in wide. If you
    want it 68 inches wide, you're going to get it at 150 ppi.

True enough of whole screenshots, but not true of capturing dialog boxes. Dialog boxes and palettes are, by programming, set to a finite number of pixels wide and deep. At this point, setting rez doesn't matter--it is next to meaningless; and doesn't change the total number of pixels in the screenshot of the captured dialog box.

The rule of thumb is to set your monitor at its highest possible resolution,
    and if you only want part of a screen image, zoom until that part fills
    the screen and so is made up of the maximum number of pixels.

That won't work for dialog boxes and palettes. You can't zoom them, and changing the monitor screen rez higher simply makes the palettes appear smaller, and doesn't change the finite number of pixels.

Also, this factor doesn't matter: The screenshot software may allow you to choose a rez of 72, 96, 300, or whatever. It doesn't matter! It only captures the same number of pixels anyway. As it saves the file, it sets the rez to the chosen number, yet each screenshot (regardless of rez setting chosen) would have the same number of pixels.

The good news is that rez and high pixel count doesn't matter. Screenshots of screens, dialog boxes, and palettes are made up of synthetically perfect colors that are perfectly the same, pixel after neighboring pixel. That is why you can scale them and print them with little regard.

That is also why you shouldn't bicubic resample them. If bicubic resampled in Photoshop, you would be introducing averaging and softening and anti-alising into what used to be a smooth synthetic pixel bitmap.

That is further why you shouldn't lossy compress them, as in JPG format. This, too, would change the synthetically pure pixels, introducing tonal artifacts and blurry softenings into the compressed file. Don't do that.

Keith, don't bother to change your monitor screen rez at all. It isn't doing anything.

Mike Witherell in Washington DC

Mike

Keith never said he was capturing dialogue boxes.

But just in case he was, I did say that whacking up screen resolution to
    acquire the most pixels would not work:

"you at least need to display it at the highest resolution you can - except,
    perhaps, if you are capturing dialogue boxes and the like which are also at
    a fixed pixel size."

k

Sorry Ken--just making sure--for clarity's sake to the many readers. Screenshots of synthetic stuff defies all common wisdom as regards handling a continuous toned image, so I was re-emphasizing the difference. Best to you,

Mike Witherell in Washington DC

Have a good weekend Mike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12